Waitlist Question - How do adcoms decide waitlist?

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
metallaura

Waitlist Question - How do adcoms decide waitlist?

Postby metallaura » Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:06 pm

Do adcoms read the entire admission file and THEN place the person on the waitlist, or is it just a numbers game until they decide to review your file again? Anyone know the general procedure?

dpk711

Re: Waitlist Question - How do adcoms decide waitlist?

Postby dpk711 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:08 pm

I think for most schools, at least one person will have read all the supplemental material as well, although the LSAT and GPA is what really matters.

bhan87

Postby bhan87 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:09 pm

metallaura wrote:Do adcoms read the entire admission file and THEN place the person on the waitlist, or is it just a numbers game until they decide to review your file again? Anyone know the general procedure?

I think most schools read your entire file before putting you on the waitlist. After that, it depends on the school. Some schools, like Berkeley, put you in an ordered list. If a spot opens up, #1 on the list gets the spot, then #2, and so forth. Other schools, like Cornell, look for continued interest when reviewing waitlist candidates.

metallaura

Postby metallaura » Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:12 pm

Thanks. Yeah my top choice is Wisconsin and I am instate 160/3.78 on the waitlist. I sent a stellar LOCI but am just sitting waiting and nervous as heck now. The deposit on my second choice is $500 due next Friday and I really can't afford to throw away that kind of money right now :/

nealric

Postby nealric » Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:07 pm

metallaura

Postby metallaura » Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:35 am

nealric wrote:http://youtu.be/oBhrpD1x8zo

OH LOL Is THAT how they pick off the waitlist? I see now :P

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:52 am

OP: Your application cycle was/is unusual. Try to get someone to review your application & consider asking different professors for recommendations. My impression is that there is something creating concerns in your file. With a 160/3.7, you should have had better results, in my opinion. Case Western Reserve, DePaul & Marquette, for example, should not have all been rejections. Also, you should have been a strong candidate at Oregon & Cincinnati. Before submitting a LOCI to Wisconsin, try to have someone review it. Interesting that Michigan State offered a "full ride" or "full tuition" scholarship if you defer for a year. Possible maturity issues ? Or ?

metallaura

Postby metallaura » Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:54 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:OP: Your application cycle was/is unusual. Try to get someone to review your application & consider asking different professors for recommendations. My impression is that there is something creating concerns in your file. With a 160/3.7, you should have had better results, in my opinion. Case Western Reserve, DePaul & Marquette, for example, should not have all been rejections. Also, you should have been a strong candidate at Oregon & Cincinnati. Before submitting a LOCI to Wisconsin, try to have someone review it. Interesting that Michigan State offered a "full ride" or "full tuition" scholarship if you defer for a year. Possible maturity issues ? Or ?

I have C&F issues in my past. I'm pretty sure that's what caused all those dings.

metallaura

Postby metallaura » Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:56 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:OP: Your application cycle was/is unusual. Try to get someone to review your application & consider asking different professors for recommendations. My impression is that there is something creating concerns in your file. With a 160/3.7, you should have had better results, in my opinion. Case Western Reserve, DePaul & Marquette, for example, should not have all been rejections. Also, you should have been a strong candidate at Oregon & Cincinnati. Before submitting a LOCI to Wisconsin, try to have someone review it. Interesting that Michigan State offered a "full ride" or "full tuition" scholarship if you defer for a year. Possible maturity issues ? Or ?

I already wrote my LOCI I can PM it to you if you like. Not to mention, Northern Illinois dinged me too. I was like what the hell.

Return to “Law School FAQ”