Study law in US as non-citizen; does it make sense?

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
Palavra

Study law in US as non-citizen; does it make sense?

Postby Palavra » Sun Apr 17, 2011 11:47 pm

I am an international student intending to study International Trade law. I already have a bachelor's degree from an American university and believe that I have the chance to get in to a good law school (top 14). My question is to what extend I am limited to practice law in the United States if I obtain a law degree from an American law school. Is a degree in International Trade Law recognized in other parts of the world?

My knowledge about the legal system in the US contra those of other countries is very limited but I assume that, as a principle, one should study law in the country one intends to practice law. Does this principle apply to International Law as well or is International Law "universal" in the sense that the holder of a degree in international law is able to use that degree in a wide range of countries?

Thanks!

ladybug89

Re: Study law in US as non-citizen; does it make sense?

Postby ladybug89 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:51 pm

It depends on what you're trying to do. Do you want to practice "international trade law" in a firm located in another country? Or are you trying to work for an actual international organization? (which as you probably know are VERY hard to get into and everyone will tell you not to.)

Also you won't really be getting a degree in international trade law regardless. you'll get an american JD, and you can decide to just take classes in international and trade law, but it won't be an official designation.

Palavra

Postby Palavra » Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:06 pm

ladybug89 wrote:It depends on what you're trying to do. Do you want to practice "international trade law" in a firm located in another country? Or are you trying to work for an actual international organization? (which as you probably know are VERY hard to get into and everyone will tell you not to.)

Also you won't really be getting a degree in international trade law regardless. you'll get an american JD, and you can decide to just take classes in international and trade law, but it won't be an official designation.

I intend to practice law in a firm located in another country alternatively to work as a legal advisor for a company that wants to sell its products in the United States. I just want to know if it makes sense. Why is it difficult to get work for an international organization?

mths

Postby mths » Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:11 pm

Palavra wrote:
ladybug89 wrote:It depends on what you're trying to do. Do you want to practice "international trade law" in a firm located in another country? Or are you trying to work for an actual international organization? (which as you probably know are VERY hard to get into and everyone will tell you not to.)

I intend to practice law in a firm located in another country alternatively to work as a legal advisor for a company that wants to sell its products in the United States. I just want to know if it makes sense. Why is it difficult to get work for an international organization?

If you want to practice in the states you should attend school here (assuming it's a high ranked school). Otherwise, American law schools are really expensive and getting a job at a firm that won't be attending your OCI is a long shot without top grades (and even then...)

I would think long and hard about spending 3 years and 250k if you don't even want to use the degree for what it's meant for.

Return to “Law School FAQ”