If I break 3.8, should I take a year off?

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
Mr. December
Posts: 27
Joined: Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:47 pm

If I break 3.8, should I take a year off?

Postby Mr. December » Sun Apr 17, 2011 11:46 pm

LSAT was 167 and GPA I applied with was 3.781.

If I do well enough this semester, I might be able to raise my GPA to over 3.8. If that happens, should I take a year off and reapply? Would that fraction of an increase offer more opportunities in terms of higher ranking schools/scholarships simply because it's over 3.8, or would that be irrelevant?

User avatar
Dany
Posts: 11580
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:00 pm

Re: If I break 3.8, should I take a year off?

Postby Dany » Sun Apr 17, 2011 11:53 pm

Can you also retake the LSAT? 170+/3.8 would mean a huge difference in schools and scholarships. I don't think a new cycle with the same LSAT and only marginally higher gpa will go much differently.

User avatar
gbpackerbacker
Posts: 634
Joined: Sun May 17, 2009 12:13 am

Re: If I break 3.8, should I take a year off?

Postby gbpackerbacker » Sun Apr 17, 2011 11:57 pm

Dany wrote:Can you also retake the LSAT? 170+/3.8 would mean a huge difference in schools and scholarships. I don't think a new cycle with the same LSAT and only marginally higher gpa will go much differently.

User avatar
patrickd139
Posts: 2883
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:53 pm

Re: If I break 3.8, should I take a year off?

Postby patrickd139 » Sun Apr 17, 2011 11:58 pm

gbpackerbacker wrote:
Dany wrote:Can you also retake the LSAT? 170+/3.8 would mean a huge difference in schools and scholarships. I don't think a new cycle with the same LSAT and only marginally higher gpa will go much differently.

Hard pressed to think the difference between a 3.78 and a 3.8 is going to make any difference.

Edited because I apparently suck at S-V agreement.

FiveSermon
Posts: 1507
Joined: Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:56 pm

Re: If I break 3.8, should I take a year off?

Postby FiveSermon » Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:04 am

Not really. Your cycle will be pretty much identical unless you retake the LSAT.

User avatar
Bildungsroman
Posts: 5548
Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:42 pm

Re: If I break 3.8, should I take a year off?

Postby Bildungsroman » Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:05 am

.02 doesn't make a difference.

User avatar
patrickd139
Posts: 2883
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:53 pm

Re: If I break 3.8, should I take a year off?

Postby patrickd139 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:10 am

ITT: Mr. December learns the relative value of his GPA

FiveSermon
Posts: 1507
Joined: Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:56 pm

Re: If I break 3.8, should I take a year off?

Postby FiveSermon » Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:14 am

I mean it could be a big difference if it crossed median. But no school comes to mind that OP would have a shot at with a 167 LSAT that has a GPA median between 3.78-3.8.

User avatar
Verity
Posts: 1253
Joined: Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:26 pm

Re: If I break 3.8, should I take a year off?

Postby Verity » Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:33 am

Retake. Or ED to UVA.

FiveSermon
Posts: 1507
Joined: Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:56 pm

Re: If I break 3.8, should I take a year off?

Postby FiveSermon » Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:36 am

Verity wrote:Retake. Or ED to UVA.


He has no shot at UVA ED without residency. He is under both GPA/LSAT median.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18426
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: If I break 3.8, should I take a year off?

Postby bk1 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:36 am

Answer: Only take a year off if you're going to retake the LSAT too.

User avatar
Verity
Posts: 1253
Joined: Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:26 pm

Re: If I break 3.8, should I take a year off?

Postby Verity » Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:57 am

FiveSermon wrote:
Verity wrote:Retake. Or ED to UVA.


He has no shot at UVA ED without residency. He is under both GPA/LSAT median.


No shit. Only giving OP the TLS auto-reply when asking for an obvious answer.

User avatar
lzyovrachievr
Posts: 1695
Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:24 am

Re: If I break 3.8, should I take a year off?

Postby lzyovrachievr » Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:57 am

bk1 wrote:Answer: Only take a year off if you're going to retake the LSAT too.

Or if you are going to get some useful work/life experience. (But I advocate for everyone to take at least one year off.)

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18426
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: If I break 3.8, should I take a year off?

Postby bk1 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:39 pm

lzyovrachievr wrote:
bk1 wrote:Answer: Only take a year off if you're going to retake the LSAT too.

Or if you are going to get some useful work/life experience. (But I advocate for everyone to take at least one year off.)


I agree. I realized that I was implying otherwise after I wrote that but was too lazy to edit.




Return to “Law School FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests