Apple V. PC for law school

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
cornellbeez

Re: Apple V. PC for law school

Postby cornellbeez » Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:42 pm

Lenovo's customer service is garbage. S/O had a Lenovo Thinkpad for 1300 and it crashed and they told him to purchase a motherboard for 800 or something ridiculous when the problem could have been easily fixed for cheaper. He had to ship it abroad for them to tell him this, and had to wait over a month to have them send it back to him unfixed.

I have been using Dells for the past 7 years. My current laptop was recommended by consumer reports and cost around 470. (Dell no longer makes the model, but the specs are better than their current, more expensive models.) While the customer service is somewhat crap, I did have a guy come to my apartment to fix an issue with the adapter. Within the first year, you get pretty good customer service because they send servicemen to your house. If you aren't a gamer or serious computer user, I'd highly recommend a ~500 Dell over a 1300 Thinkpad. (Check out consumer reports for more info.)

As for Vaios, Dad and bro are both computer engineers, and they have been using Vaios for years. High quality, but pricey, and not worth it if you are a low-end user who doesn't really do anything with their pcs.

Also, another advantage pcs have over macs is that there is a ton of free software online for pcs, if you know where to look.

If you guys are concerned about viruses with the pc, download tune-up utilities and software like that. In addition, you can easily backup your files to an external hard drive and never have to worry about anything. External hard drives are pretty cheap and you can password protect everything on there, in addition to "hiding" files.
Last edited by cornellbeez on Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lawquacious

Postby Lawquacious » Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:54 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
FiveSermon wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
Lawquacious wrote:PC for the win. Wow do I regret getting a Mac. It was overpriced, it crashes more than my Dell did, and there are compatibility issues with software that is used in the real world. And it's not just this machine: my family had a Mac when I was growing up and the thing always crashed. I regret buying into the hype and wasting my money. (FWIW, I use an Apple iPhone and do like it, although it is also buggy as hell and has certain annoying limitations).

Apple reliability is no better, or no worse than similar competitors. It's a tiny more reliable than companies who sell 400 dollar laptops like Acer, HP and Dell.

I don't think Apples are worth the price premium, nor do I think they are cool when 2/3rd of your class has one.

I bet you have one.

Nope I'm a windows guy. No fucking way am I spending1000 $2,000 dollars on a laptop.

Yeah, sad but true, that is roughly what I paid at Best Buy a few months ago for a 15" MacBook Pro (with the higher of two memory options). I would be thrilled to go back in time and pay 1k or so for a PC that I'm sure works at least as well as this slyly marketed sleek-box Mac.

Lawquacious

Postby Lawquacious » Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:57 pm

sashatheturk wrote:well when i put "apple" in the search i got like 10 hits about eating apples on Jewish new year so i thought id get some advice. feel free to go fuck yourself.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_yodqvnVBUBM/T ... %2Bguy.jpg
u mad lol?

Actually have to admit that I'm pretty mad about getting a Mac though lol.

ResolutePear

Postby ResolutePear » Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:58 pm

cornellbeez wrote:Lenovo's customer service is garbage. S/O had a Lenovo Thinkpad for 1300 and it crashed and they told him to purchase a motherboard for 800 or something ridiculous when the problem could have been easily fixed for cheaper. He had to ship it abroad for them to tell him this, and had to wait over a month to have them send it back to him unfixed.

I have been using Dells for the past 7 years. My current laptop was recommended by consumer reports and cost around 470. (Dell no longer makes the model, but the specs are better than their current, more expensive models.) While the customer service is somewhat crap, I did have a guy come to my apartment to fix an issue with the adapter. Within the first year, you get pretty good customer service because they send servicemen to your house. If you aren't a gamer or serious computer user, I'd highly recommend a ~500 Dell over a 1300 Thinkpad. (Check out consumer reports for more info.)

As for Vaios, Dad and bro are both computer engineers, and they have been using Vaios for years. High quality, but pricey, and not worth it if you are a low-end user who doesn't really do anything with their pcs.

Also, another advantage pcs have over macs is that there is a ton of free software online for pcs, if you know where to look.

If you guys are concerned about viruses with the pc, download tune-up utilities and software like that. In addition, you can easily backup your system to an external hard drive and never have to worry about anything. External hard drives are pretty cheap and you can password protect everything on there, in addition to "hiding" files.

lol.. somebody is obviously trolling.

Look at Thinkpad's warranty before making this claim. I for one have had nothing but the utmost satisfaction with Thinkpad's service. It blew up on me at 3AM? No problem - fixed by noon on the next day!

As for the mac vs pc on free software: OSX has most GNU/OS/Linux products available to them thanks to X11(Quartz) and FreeBSD(-ish) kernel. As for the "free" software in general, the large majority of it is crap.

"tune-up" utilities... LOL..

Any Laptop + Office + Dropbox. /THREAD.

cornellbeez

Postby cornellbeez » Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:01 pm

ResolutePear wrote:
cornellbeez wrote:Lenovo's customer service is garbage. S/O had a Lenovo Thinkpad for 1300 and it crashed and they told him to purchase a motherboard for 800 or something ridiculous when the problem could have been easily fixed for cheaper. He had to ship it abroad for them to tell him this, and had to wait over a month to have them send it back to him unfixed.

If you guys are concerned about viruses with the pc, download tune-up utilities and software like that. In addition, you can easily backup your system to an external hard drive and never have to worry about anything. External hard drives are pretty cheap and you can password protect everything on there, in addition to "hiding" files.

Look at Thinkpad's warranty before making this claim. I for one have had nothing but the utmost satisfaction with Thinkpad's service. It blew up on me at 3AM? No problem - fixed by noon on the next day!

As for the mac vs pc on free software: OSX has most GNU/OS/Linux products available to them thanks to X11(Quartz) and FreeBSD(-ish) kernel. As for the "free" software in general, the large majority of it is crap.

Well, the S/O did have have to mail it in, and it took over a month to get it back, unfixed, because he didn't want to pay a ridiculous amount of money which could have gotten him a new laptop. Unless you are a gamer/engineer, there's no reason to get a thinkpad.

As for free software -- I have gotten office, photoshp, and a ton of other software for free. There are sites that provide them...you just have to know where to look. (Although I will admit some of these are membership only sites restricted only to computer nerds...) If you know where to look, you can get practically everything online (including dvd-rip movies, etc). And a lot of these files are only accessible to pc users, not mac users.
Last edited by cornellbeez on Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ResolutePear

Postby ResolutePear » Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:05 pm

sashatheturk wrote:
kalvano wrote:This again? Aren't there about 15 active threads on this right now?

well when i put "apple" in the search i got like 10 hits about eating apples on Jewish new year so i thought id get some advice. feel free to go fuck yourself.

--LinkRemoved--

HTH.

ResolutePear

Postby ResolutePear » Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:07 pm

cornellbeez wrote:
ResolutePear wrote:

Well, the S/O did have have to mail it in, and it took over a month to get it back, unfixed, because he didn't want to pay a ridiculous amount of money which could have gotten him a new laptop. Unless you are a gamer/engineer, there's no reason to get a thinkpad.

As for free software -- I have gotten office, photoshp, and a ton of other software for free. There are sites that provide them...you just have to know where to look. (Although I will admit some of these are membership only sites restricted only to computer nerds...) If you know where to look, you can get practically everything online (including dvd-rip movies, etc). And a lot of these files are only accessible to pc users, not mac users.

Just stop talking. You have never used a mac, and I'm getting close to thinking that you've never used a PC either.

cornellbeez

Postby cornellbeez » Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:11 pm

ResolutePear wrote: Just stop talking. You have never used a mac, and I'm getting close to thinking that you've never used a PC either.

Serious question - what guild are you in?

d34d9823

Postby d34d9823 » Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:15 pm

If you guys are concerned about viruses with the pc, download tune-up utilities and software like that. In addition, you can easily backup your files to an external hard drive and never have to worry about anything. External hard drives are pretty cheap and you can password protect everything on there, in addition to "hiding" files.

Basically this whole comment is terrible advice.

firemed

Postby firemed » Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:15 pm

sashatheturk wrote:
kalvano wrote:
sashatheturk wrote:
kalvano wrote:This again? Aren't there about 15 active threads on this right now?

well when i put "apple" in the search i got like 10 hits about eating apples on Jewish new year so i thought id get some advice. feel free to go fuck yourself.

Someone is touchy about being too stupid to operate the search engine.

your input is just worthless and clogging the thread up. thanks for coming out, really. you did everyone here a great service with your insightful comment.

You have ten posts. And suddenly the attitude? WTF?

Look, I hit "TLS HOME" and found three damn threads on this. Take a chill pill. It isn't even like this is an important question. Go to your schools website and see if they support mac. If they don't, don't buy one. If they do (or they don't care) then pick the one you want.

See how easy that is?

cornellbeez

Postby cornellbeez » Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:18 pm

d34dluk3 wrote:

Oh right, I forgot you need a 3Ghz processor to run microsoft one note in class :roll:
Last edited by cornellbeez on Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FeelTheHeat

Postby FeelTheHeat » Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:18 pm

So the OP had do the slightest bit of research and said fuck it after the first 10 or so hits and then started bitching cause others didn't appreciate his hard work?

You're gonna go far, kid. Great career choice.

ResolutePear

Postby ResolutePear » Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:18 pm

cornellbeez wrote:
ResolutePear wrote: Just stop talking. You have never used a mac, and I'm getting close to thinking that you've never used a PC either.

Serious question - what guild are you in?

Screen Actors Guild.

How about you?

ResolutePear

Postby ResolutePear » Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:20 pm

cornellbeez wrote:
d34dluk3 wrote:

Oh right, I forgot you need a 3Ghz processor to run microsoft one note in class :roll:

3Ghz single-core sounds about right...

Right around 2003. LOL...

d34d9823

Postby d34d9823 » Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:24 pm

cornellbeez wrote:
d34dluk3 wrote:Basically this whole comment is terrible advice.

You obviously don't know what the fuck you are talking about, which is OK. Makes you less of a nerd, even. But please shut the fuck up and stop giving people advice.

ResolutePear

Postby ResolutePear » Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:26 pm

d34dluk3 wrote:
cornellbeez wrote:

You obviously don't know what the fuck you are talking about, which is OK. Makes you less of a nerd, even. But please shut the fuck up and stop giving people advice.

It's not even about being a nerd. To some, it's their profession.

d34d9823

Postby d34d9823 » Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:28 pm

ResolutePear wrote:
d34dluk3 wrote:
cornellbeez wrote:

I don't think pointing out that developers have jobs really helps you here. It's by far the nerdiest professional field.

FiveSermon

Postby FiveSermon » Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:29 pm

ResolutePear wrote:
d34dluk3 wrote:
cornellbeez wrote:

Comic book collecting can be a profession -- still nerdy to me.

d34d9823

Postby d34d9823 » Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:30 pm

Here's a fun quiz to illustrate this. Which one of these people at a press conference is a software developer?

ResolutePear

Postby ResolutePear » Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:33 pm

Without a nerd, you wouldn't have Lexis/WL.

Back to the stone ages, cool kids!

KevinP

Postby KevinP » Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:55 pm

Given a choice between a PC and a Mac, I'd go with the PC.

I personally prefer Linux though.

Lawst

Postby Lawst » Sun Apr 17, 2011 12:51 am

Well, I'm typing this from the shiny new MacBook Pro that I just bought yesterday to replace the old iBook G4 that was still going strong, but becoming technologically obsolete, six years later. I looked at my school's website and didn't see it recommending one over the other - and I saw a lot of Macs in the class that I sat in on - so I'm hoping for the best.

I can't buy a PC. I just can't. It's bad enough that I have to work on a PC eight hours a day, five days a week at the office. I find the Macs so much more durable and easy to work with. They cost more, but I think they're worth it.

/Apple Fangirling

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Sun Apr 17, 2011 1:26 am

LOL at anyone who considers a VAIO a "high-quality machine." Those things are worthless crap and more expensive than a Mac.

ResolutePear

Postby ResolutePear » Sun Apr 17, 2011 1:34 am

kalvano wrote:LOL at anyone who considers a VAIO a "high-quality machine." Those things are worthless crap and more expensive than a Mac.

It was true pre-2003 that they were a cut above other PC's in terms of desktops. But, if something breaks and you're with a warranty, just throw it away.

As far as desktops are concerned: Learn how to build one from scratch and you'll have the best desktop available anywhere at a competitive/bargain price.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Sun Apr 17, 2011 1:36 am

I had two VAIO's pre-2003 and they were the worst computers I've ever encountered. If you were to offer me a choice between having rabid dogs rip chunks out of my skin or using a VAIO PC, I would probably opt for the dogs.

Return to “Law School FAQ”