Apple V. PC for law school

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
sashatheturk

Apple V. PC for law school

Postby sashatheturk » Sat Apr 16, 2011 2:04 pm

I have been told by a number of friends who have been holding their bar cards for a few years that i shouldn't buy an Apple for the purposes of law school. They all did their 3rd years in 09 so they're pretty outdated in what they know about current LS tech requirements. Im over PC's and i just want to know if there are any 1L's or 2L's that are Apple users that were unable to access any school specific software.

If the apple v PC discussion is near and dear to your heart and you want to comment on how great the photo shop is and how you've never gotten a virus please spare us. Please, only people that just spent the last year or two with them actually in class.
Last edited by sashatheturk on Sat Apr 16, 2011 2:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.

northwood

Re: Apple V. PC for law school

Postby northwood » Sat Apr 16, 2011 2:06 pm

As i am in the market for a computer, and have no idea what one to get- i will be tagging this thread.

charlesxavier

Postby charlesxavier » Sat Apr 16, 2011 2:10 pm

From the several schools that I visited I was told that Apple computers were fully compatible with the required programs/software, but there were little features (such as wireless printing) that were PC only. I have found that there are different answers at different schools, though.

Rand M.

Postby Rand M. » Sat Apr 16, 2011 2:17 pm

It all depends on where you go to school. Here at Chicago we don't have exam software, so there are no compatibility issues. I would say 70-75 percent of my classmates have macs. That's a rough estimate, but it's a definite majority. I imagine the same would be true at any law school where there aren't compatibility issues. Most of the people I know at other schools have macs and don't complain. Just contact the school and they can tell you what the situation is. I would imagine you wouldn't run into issues at most places.

ResolutePear

Postby ResolutePear » Sat Apr 16, 2011 2:22 pm

The software used by schools is compatible on intel(circa ~2005+) macs and PC's.

There are in-depth discussions about this --LinkRemoved--

I will always say thinkpad until Apple comes out with a business-class notebook.

nealric

Postby nealric » Sat Apr 16, 2011 2:32 pm

I'm of the opinion that it's very hard to go wrong with laptops these days.

Go with the computer you are comfortable with and that works for you ergonomically. Don't spend $2,000 unless you have money to burn.

FiveSermon

Postby FiveSermon » Sat Apr 16, 2011 2:35 pm

ResolutePear wrote:The software used by schools is compatible on intel(circa ~2005+) macs and PC's.

I will always say thinkpad until Apple comes out with a business-class notebook.

I like thinkpads also but they seem overpriced.

ResolutePear

Postby ResolutePear » Sat Apr 16, 2011 2:39 pm

FiveSermon wrote:
ResolutePear wrote:The software used by schools is compatible on intel(circa ~2005+) macs and PC's.

Get a T-Series and pour a hot cup of coffee all over the keyboard. You'll then know why they're overpriced.

FiveSermon

Postby FiveSermon » Sat Apr 16, 2011 2:41 pm

ResolutePear wrote:
FiveSermon wrote:

Get a T-Series and pour a hot cup of coffee all over the keyboard. You'll then know why they're overpriced.

I had a T-61. Overheated within a year and the display died.

ResolutePear

Postby ResolutePear » Sat Apr 16, 2011 2:43 pm

FiveSermon wrote:
ResolutePear wrote:
FiveSermon wrote:

I had a T-61. Overheated within a year and the display died.

Probably didn't pour enough water/coolant on it.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Sat Apr 16, 2011 4:18 pm

This again? Aren't there about 15 active threads on this right now?

sashatheturk

Postby sashatheturk » Sat Apr 16, 2011 5:41 pm

kalvano wrote:This again? Aren't there about 15 active threads on this right now?

well when i put "apple" in the search i got like 10 hits about eating apples on Jewish new year so i thought id get some advice. feel free to go fuck yourself.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Sat Apr 16, 2011 5:48 pm

sashatheturk wrote:
kalvano wrote:This again? Aren't there about 15 active threads on this right now?

well when i put "apple" in the search i got like 10 hits about eating apples on Jewish new year so i thought id get some advice. feel free to go fuck yourself.

Someone is touchy about being too stupid to operate the search engine.

Lawquacious

Postby Lawquacious » Sat Apr 16, 2011 5:51 pm

PC for the win. Wow do I regret getting a Mac. It was overpriced, it crashes more than my Dell did, and there are compatibility issues with software that is used in the real world. And it's not just this machine: my family had a Mac when I was growing up and the thing always crashed. I regret buying into the hype and wasting my money. (FWIW, I use an Apple iPhone and do like it, although it is also buggy as hell and has certain annoying limitations).

Lawquacious

Postby Lawquacious » Sat Apr 16, 2011 5:51 pm

Yep.

sashatheturk

Postby sashatheturk » Sat Apr 16, 2011 6:37 pm

kalvano wrote:
sashatheturk wrote:

Someone is touchy about being too stupid to operate the search engine.

your input is just worthless and clogging the thread up. thanks for coming out, really. you did everyone here a great service with your insightful comment.

Postby 09042014 » Sat Apr 16, 2011 6:40 pm

Lawquacious wrote:PC for the win. Wow do I regret getting a Mac. It was overpriced, it crashes more than my Dell did, and there are compatibility issues with software that is used in the real world. And it's not just this machine: my family had a Mac when I was growing up and the thing always crashed. I regret buying into the hype and wasting my money. (FWIW, I use an Apple iPhone and do like it, although it is also buggy as hell and has certain annoying limitations).

Apple reliability is no better, or no worse than similar competitors. It's a tiny more reliable than companies who sell 400 dollar laptops like Acer, HP and Dell.

I don't think Apples are worth the price premium, nor do I think they are cool when 2/3rd of your class has one.

FiveSermon

Postby FiveSermon » Sat Apr 16, 2011 6:44 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Lawquacious wrote:PC for the win. Wow do I regret getting a Mac. It was overpriced, it crashes more than my Dell did, and there are compatibility issues with software that is used in the real world. And it's not just this machine: my family had a Mac when I was growing up and the thing always crashed. I regret buying into the hype and wasting my money. (FWIW, I use an Apple iPhone and do like it, although it is also buggy as hell and has certain annoying limitations).

Apple reliability is no better, or no worse than similar competitors. It's a tiny more reliable than companies who sell 400 dollar laptops like Acer, HP and Dell.

I don't think Apples are worth the price premium, nor do I think they are cool when 2/3rd of your class has one.

I bet you have one.

Postby 09042014 » Sat Apr 16, 2011 7:02 pm

FiveSermon wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

I bet you have one.

Nope I'm a windows guy. No fucking way am I spending 1000 dollars on a laptop.

FiveSermon

Postby FiveSermon » Sat Apr 16, 2011 7:04 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
FiveSermon wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

I bet you have one.

Nope I'm a windows guy. No fucking way am I spending 1000 dollars on a laptop.

How much was yours?

Postby 09042014 » Sat Apr 16, 2011 7:55 pm

750 but it's better than entry level macs. But it's a ttt acer. Also being a tech nerd I waved a little power. An average person should buy a entry level asus.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:04 pm

Asus is good. The UL-80 is a great laptop. So is Lenovo, I've been very pleased with mine.

So basically, this thread, like all the other thread, comes down to personal preference and establishes nothing new at all.

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:06 pm

kalvano wrote:Asus is good. The UL-80 is a great laptop. So is Lenovo, I've been very pleased with mine.

So basically, this thread, like all the other thread, comes down to personal preference and establishes nothing new at all.

No, I think we got some good back and forth snarkiness in.

FeelTheHeat

Postby FeelTheHeat » Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:07 pm

Awfully demanding for someone with 10 posts.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:12 pm

ahduth wrote:
kalvano wrote:Asus is good. The UL-80 is a great laptop. So is Lenovo, I've been very pleased with mine.

No, I think we got some good back and forth snarkiness in.

How is that any different from normal?

Return to “Law School FAQ”