How to withdraw

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
DuxBellorum

How to withdraw

Postby DuxBellorum » Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:41 am

I looked back a few pages and didn't see a thread about this, so here goes with my probably stupid question:

Is there a protocol or specific way to "withdraw" from an applicant pool after being offered admission? I know where I want to go, I'd like to tell other schools that I won't be attending. Do I do anything more than e-mail X school and say "I'm not coming, thanks"?

Appreciate any help you can give this noob.

tourdeforcex

Re: How to withdraw

Postby tourdeforcex » Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:45 am

Do I do anything more than e-mail X school and say "I'm not coming, thanks"?

you can basically write that but maybe more formal and polite.

also, since many schools have 4/15 as their deadline, you can just not send anything and they will know.

Knock

Postby Knock » Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:29 pm

DuxBellorum wrote:I looked back a few pages and didn't see a thread about this, so here goes with my probably stupid question:

Is there a protocol or specific way to "withdraw" from an applicant pool after being offered admission? I know where I want to go, I'd like to tell other schools that I won't be attending. Do I do anything more than e-mail X school and say "I'm not coming, thanks"?

Appreciate any help you can give this noob.

Just shoot them an email, there's no specific method for withdrawing. Some schools (Harvard) only accept withdrawals through snail mail though.

smscat

Postby smscat » Sat Apr 16, 2011 5:18 pm

Do people have suggestions what to put in the subject line? "Withdrawal"? Do they want a brief summary of the reasons or the school you have chosen to attend instead, or should you just keep it very short and simple?

Knock

Postby Knock » Sat Apr 16, 2011 5:20 pm

smscat wrote:Do people have suggestions what to put in the subject line? "Withdrawal"? Do they want a brief summary of the reasons or the school you have chosen to attend instead, or should you just keep it very short and simple?

I'd put something like "Application Withdrawal for [LSAC#]." And keep it short and simple. I've heard that some schools will email you and ask what school you are going to attend instead, so if they want to know, they will ask you.

smscat

Postby smscat » Sat Apr 16, 2011 5:27 pm

Knock wrote:
smscat wrote:Do people have suggestions what to put in the subject line? "Withdrawal"? Do they want a brief summary of the reasons or the school you have chosen to attend instead, or should you just keep it very short and simple?

I'd put something like "Application Withdrawal for [LSAC#]." And keep it short and simple. I've heard that some schools will email you and ask what school you are going to attend instead, so if they want to know, they will ask you.

Thank you.

FiveSermon

Postby FiveSermon » Sat Apr 16, 2011 5:30 pm

If you don't email a withdrawal do they hate you?

Knock

Postby Knock » Sat Apr 16, 2011 5:31 pm

FiveSermon wrote:If you don't email a withdrawal do they hate you?

No I don't think it's a big deal. I let a deadline lapse without notifying either way, and they just sent me an email letting me know I had missed the deadline and they had withdrawn my admission and name from their class roster (and to email them if this email was in error).

reverendt

Postby reverendt » Sat Apr 16, 2011 5:47 pm

I emailed them all as soon as I knew I wasn't going there, thanking them for accepting me (and in some cases for the generous scholarship offer) but telling them that I would not be attending. That's all.

Return to “Law School FAQ”