Go to T2 law school or retake/reapply

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
Bobeo

Go to T2 law school or retake/reapply

Postby Bobeo » Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:35 pm

I'm having a hard time deciding on what to do. I'm leaning one way but I would like some other opinions.

I have a 3.1 GPA. Took the test cold last October, scored a 152. I took the test just to see how I measured up and if I had any shot of going to law school. I felt like a 152 was pretty decent for never looking at the test before and retook it. I studied the Logic Games section mostly because that was the area I struggled with most. My retake in December I scored a 166.

Since I got into the game so late I only applied to 2 schools that are in state- IU-Bloomington and IU-Indy. I got accepted to IU-Indy, but have yet to hear back from IUB. At this point my chances have to be pretty slim there.

So now I'm thinking of instead of matriculating to IU-Indy, I might retake the LSAT this October, using the whole summer to study all sections in and out. I really think I can improve my score another few points. I would also be applying early which would be a bonus in the cycle.

The way I see it is I have nothing to lose by retaking and reapplying, as IU-Indy and similar schools will be there for me next year.

Thoughts?
Last edited by Bobeo on Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dpk711

Re: Go to T2 law school or retake/reapply

Postby dpk711 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:36 pm

RETAKE

rocon7383

Postby rocon7383 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:37 pm

Bobeo wrote:I'm having a hard time deciding on what to do. I'm leaning one way but I would like some other opinions.

I have a 3.1 GPA. Took the test cold last October, scored a 152. I took the test just to see how I measured up and if I had any shot of going to law school. I felt like a 152 was pretty decent for never looking at the test before and retook it. I studied the Logic Games section mostly because that was the area I struggled with most. My retake in December I scored a 166.

Since I got into the game so late I only applied to 2 schools that are in state- IU-Bloomington and IU-Indy. I got accepted to IU-Indy, but have yet to hear back from IUB. At this point my chances have to be pretty slim there.

So now I'm thinking of instead of matriculating to IU-Indy, I might retake the LSAT this October, using the whole summer to study all sections in and out. I really think I can improve my score another few points. I would also be applying early which would be a bonus in the cycle.

The way I see it is I have nothing to lose by retaking and reapplying, as IU-Indy and similar schools will be there for me next year.

Thoughts?

You're correct. You should retake. On a side note, you couldn't take your first test as a practice test? You had to sign up for the real thing? Haha, seems reckless man

Bobeo

Postby Bobeo » Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:45 pm

Ya honestly it was pretty reckless but I figured my low GPA was going to be more damning than it turns out it is. But nothing I can do about that now.

Stonewall

Postby Stonewall » Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:51 pm

166? sit out a cycle for sure. this is a no-brainer.

sab0tage

Postby sab0tage » Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:31 pm

Retake if you think you can put the work in necessary to improve.
But def sit out until next cycle. With a 3.1/166 you should get $$ from IUB if you apply early next cycle. Check out http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com, if they keep up this same strategy, you should be sitting pretty if bloomington is where you want to be. I applied in early january with a 166/3.2 and they offered me the standard 120k. I don't think you will get an offer this year. I hear they are over enrolled.

bport hopeful

Postby bport hopeful » Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:34 pm

I def wouldnt go to indy. IUB will give you money if you apply later, they may still give you money. I would just plan on sitting out and if you get into IUB, thats great.

Full disclosure: 3.12/166, applied late. Still waiting to hear from IUB.

Bobeo

Postby Bobeo » Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:57 pm

bport hopeful wrote:I def wouldnt go to indy. IUB will give you money if you apply later, they may still give you money. I would just plan on sitting out and if you get into IUB, thats great.

Full disclosure: 3.12/166, applied late. Still waiting to hear from IUB.

Ah, well hopefully they have a couple more spots for us. What are your plans if not?

bport hopeful

Postby bport hopeful » Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:58 pm

TT cheap.

tittsburghfeelers

Postby tittsburghfeelers » Thu Apr 14, 2011 5:44 pm

sab0tage wrote:Retake if you think you can put the work in necessary to improve.
But def sit out until next cycle. With a 3.1/166 you should get $$ from IUB if you apply early next cycle. Check out http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com, if they keep up this same strategy, you should be sitting pretty if bloomington is where you want to be. I applied in early january with a 166/3.2 and they offered me the standard 120k. I don't think you will get an offer this year. I hear they are over enrolled.

What's up with them giving out so much money? Is this the first year that they've given out 120k to nearly every applicant with a 166+? Are they planning on to continue to do this in the future? How does a Big Ten school in the middle of nowhere have so much money to throw around if they're giving a majority of their accepted students a full tuition scholarship?

Bobeo

Postby Bobeo » Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:27 pm

tittsburghfeelers wrote:
sab0tage wrote:Retake if you think you can put the work in necessary to improve.

What's up with them giving out so much money? Is this the first year that they've given out 120k to nearly every applicant with a 166+? Are they planning on to continue to do this in the future? How does a Big Ten school in the middle of nowhere have so much money to throw around if they're giving a majority of their accepted students a full tuition scholarship?

I guy just donated something like 30 mil not too long ago (2 or 3 years). They renamed the school after him.

Return to “Law School FAQ”