Law school or become a cop??

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
99.9luft

Re: Law school or become a cop??

Postby 99.9luft » Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:47 pm

cop, then LS.

btown

Postby btown » Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:07 pm

As a police officer in a large city in the midwest, I would encourage you to go to law school. About 90% of the time I have to deal with the worst people in the community, which gets old really fast. People are very disrespectful to me the majority of the time and it seems like no one likes police officers until they actually need one. On top of that, the hours can be pretty tough on a family if you have one. This isn't a Monday-Friday, 8 to 5 job. This job is second or third shift hours, plus weekends and holidays. I don't know how many birthday parties, christmas parties, etc. that I have missed because I had to work. As for the pay, its just ok no matter where you go. If you are making 80k as a police officer, its not that good of money because I'm sure it at the level to match the cost of living in that area. You are definitely never going to get rich or wealthy as a police officer. I think that if I were in your shoes I would go to law school. I plan on attending law school part time next year and can't wait for the day that I don't have to deal with the worst citizens in the community. If you have any other question let me know and I would be happy to try and answer them for you.

FiveSermon

Postby FiveSermon » Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:10 pm

btown wrote:As a police officer in a large city in the midwest, I would encourage you to go to law school. About 90% of the time I have to deal with the worst people in the community, which gets old really fast. People are very disrespectful to me the majority of the time and it seems like no one likes police officers until they actually need one. On top of that, the hours can be pretty tough on a family if you have one. This isn't a Monday-Friday, 8 to 5 job. This job is second or third shift hours, plus weekends and holidays. I don't know how many birthday parties, christmas parties, etc. that I have missed because I had to work. As for the pay, its just ok no matter where you go. If you are making 80k as a police officer, its not that good of money because I'm sure it at the level to match the cost of living in that area. You are definitely never going to get rich or wealthy as a police officer. I think that if I were in your shoes I would go to law school. I plan on attending law school part time next year and can't wait for the day that I don't have to deal with the worst citizens in the community. If you have any other question let me know and I would be happy to try and answer them for you.

Become a police officer in Nassau County. "Worst people in the community" = hooligan highschool kids.

lisjjen

Postby lisjjen » Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:10 pm

99.9luft wrote:cop, then LS.

This.

lukebyalibi

Postby lukebyalibi » Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:13 pm

btown wrote:As a police officer in a large city in the midwest, I would encourage you to go to law school. About 90% of the time I have to deal with the worst people in the community, which gets old really fast. People are very disrespectful to me the majority of the time and it seems like no one likes police officers until they actually need one. On top of that, the hours can be pretty tough on a family if you have one. This isn't a Monday-Friday, 8 to 5 job. This job is second or third shift hours, plus weekends and holidays. I don't know how many birthday parties, christmas parties, etc. that I have missed because I had to work. As for the pay, its just ok no matter where you go. If you are making 80k as a police officer, its not that good of money because I'm sure it at the level to match the cost of living in that area. You are definitely never going to get rich or wealthy as a police officer. I think that if I were in your shoes I would go to law school. I plan on attending law school part time next year and can't wait for the day that I don't have to deal with the worst citizens in the community. If you have any other question let me know and I would be happy to try and answer them for you.

Yeah a few of my professors are cops, and I find it funny that they tell us how horrible it is to be a cop yet know that most of us are in class to eventually become cops! I think that no one really knows what it is like to be a cop until they actually are one. Talking about something is way different then actually experiencing it

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:16 pm

lukebyalibi wrote:

Yeah a few of my professors are cops, and I find it funny that they tell us how horrible it is to be a cop yet know that most of us are in class to eventually become cops! I think that no one really knows what it is like to be a cop until they actually are one. Talking about something is way different then actually experiencing it

You know what this post tells me. In general, people hate their jobs, no matter what they do. Cops tell you to be lawyers, lawyers tell you not go to law school but med school instead, med students tell you to go get your MBA, MBA students tell you it is a waste of time and be an enginneer. That's pretty much the story of everyones life.

FiveSermon

Postby FiveSermon » Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:17 pm

Grass is always greener...

lukebyalibi

Postby lukebyalibi » Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:17 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:
lukebyalibi wrote:

You know what this post tells me. In general, people hate their jobs, no matter what they do. Cops tell you to be lawyers, lawyers tell you not go to law school but med school instead, med students tell you to go get your MBA, MBA students tell you it is a waste of time and be an enginneer. That's pretty much the story of everyones life.

lukebyalibi

Postby lukebyalibi » Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:18 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:
lukebyalibi wrote:

nice!

flcath

Postby flcath » Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:28 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:
lukebyalibi wrote:

You know what this post tells me. In general, people hate their jobs, no matter what they do. Cops tell you to be lawyers, lawyers tell you not go to law school but med school instead, med students tell you to go get your MBA, MBA students tell you it is a waste of time and be an engineer. That's pretty much the story of everyones life.

I came to a different conclusion from the statements in this post: become an engineer.

2011Law

Postby 2011Law » Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:45 pm

Despite what we have all seen on tv (McCoy ftw), lawyers and cops have pretty fundamentally different jobs. You might be able to lead a happy life doing either one, but one is probably going to end up being more fulfilling than the other for you personally. You might wanna do some soul searching to figure out which it might be, cause I don't think an internet poll will help you with that one.

lukebyalibi

Postby lukebyalibi » Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:45 pm

That would require me actually liking math!! I am good at it but can not stand it!!!

lukebyalibi

Postby lukebyalibi » Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:46 pm

2011Law wrote:Despite what we have all seen on tv (McCoy ftw), lawyers and cops have pretty fundamentally different jobs. You might be able to lead a happy life doing either one, but one is probably going to end up being more fulfilling than the other for you personally. You might wanna do some soul searching to figure out which it might be, cause I don't think an internet poll will help you with that one.

I do all my soul searching via online polls!

AreJay711

Postby AreJay711 » Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:22 pm

lukebyalibi wrote:
2011Law wrote:Despite what we have all seen on tv (McCoy ftw), lawyers and cops have pretty fundamentally different jobs. You might be able to lead a happy life doing either one, but one is probably going to end up being more fulfilling than the other for you personally. You might wanna do some soul searching to figure out which it might be, cause I don't think an internet poll will help you with that one.

I do all my soul searching via online polls!

You haven't applied for the academy yet? I know I was just forwarded an email about a summer cop position at a beach (I'm a summer starter at Michigan though) so maybe you could try something like that if you aren't already in a full time career position to see how you like it.

lukebyalibi

Postby lukebyalibi » Sun Apr 17, 2011 12:08 am

I applied to a few departments that would pay for me to attend the academy plus pay my salary while attending. Most departments want applicants to be certifiable before even applying meaning, I would need to shell out $3000 to attend an indepedent academy plus not get paid while attending, and not have sufficient time to work a side job. I liked the prior system where each department had their own academy or banded together with other smaller dept. to send the recruits to. It sucks, I have a ton of friends that I went to a community college with that got suckered into shelling out the money for the stand alone academy only to not land a job, and now a lot of their certifications are running out, and they may have to shell out another 3 grand to take the academy again. With how large the applicant pool is, and the cost of training one recruit though I can see why the departments went this route

Postby 03121202698008 » Sun Apr 17, 2011 11:23 am

Last edited by 03121202698008 on Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

dudders

Postby dudders » Sun Apr 17, 2011 12:02 pm

In re what everyone said above, do your homework whether it's law school, law enforcement or both.

True, some cops have cush salaries, low retirement age, and sweet pensions. In other states (particularly non-union states), the pay is crap and has been cut during the recession, overtime is banned, and you're on your own for retirement. Agencies/states vary remarkably.

Bartlebee06

Postby Bartlebee06 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:08 pm

"About 90% of the time I have to deal with the worst people in the community, which gets old really fast. People are very disrespectful to me the majority of the time and it seems like no one likes police officers until they actually need one."

Kind of sounds like being a lawyer.

Postby 03121202698008 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:15 pm

Bartlebee06 wrote:"About 90% of the time I have to deal with the worst people in the community, which gets old really fast. People are very disrespectful to me the majority of the time and it seems like no one likes police officers until they actually need one."

Not even close. No lawyer I know has ever had a drink thrown through their window at a red light, had a pan of boiling water thrown at them during a domestic, had self-induced vomit on the back of their head in a patrol car, or had piss/shit thrown on them by someone in a holding cell.

I know of several cops that have had multiple instances of more than one. And, they work in NICE neighborhoods. The stories I hear from friends who work in urban cities amaze even me.

Not to mention multiple people screaming racial slurs/obscenities and unlike lawyers, you can't leave. You have no choice to back away and let them cool down, etc.

lukebyalibi

Postby lukebyalibi » Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:44 pm

blowhard wrote:
Bartlebee06 wrote:"About 90% of the time I have to deal with the worst people in the community, which gets old really fast. People are very disrespectful to me the majority of the time and it seems like no one likes police officers until they actually need one."

Not even close. No lawyer I know has ever had a drink thrown through their window at a red light, had a pan of boiling water thrown at them during a domestic, had self-induced vomit on the back of their head in a patrol car, or had piss/shit thrown on them by someone in a holding cell.

I know of several cops that have had multiple instances of more than one. And, they work in NICE neighborhoods. The stories I hear from friends who work in urban cities amaze even me.

Not to mention multiple people screaming racial slurs/obscenities and unlike lawyers, you can't leave. You have no choice to back away and let them cool down, etc.

Yeah I think they were just generalizing that some people hate cops/lawyers until they actually need one. The nature of both jobs are completely different, as is they way each interacts with individuals. I can definitely understand that cops get treated way worse, I mean cops have to deal with the 3% of the population that the rest of us just pretend does not exist. It is one thing actually being in the presence of these people when they are committing these acts, and a completely different to represent them in a legal manner. Bottom line is cops deserve much more respect then they receive, and much higher compensation!!!

Bartlebee06

Postby Bartlebee06 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:38 pm

lukebyalibi wrote:
blowhard wrote:

Yeah I think they were just generalizing that some people hate cops/lawyers until they actually need one. The nature of both jobs are completely different, as is they way each interacts with individuals. I can definitely understand that cops get treated way worse, I mean cops have to deal with the 3% of the population that the rest of us just pretend does not exist. It is one thing actually being in the presence of these people when they are committing these acts, and a completely different to represent them in a legal manner. Bottom line is cops deserve much more respect then they receive, and much higher compensation!!!

My job requires me to work with cops everyday. I have mad respect for what they do and I know its worse than being a lawyer. I was just generalizing like you said because most people, to include cops, think lawyers are scumbags. Oh, and I think the 3% is more like 10%

ku1185

Postby ku1185 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:02 pm

Shoot yourself or get shot. Whichever you prefer.

lukebyalibi

Postby lukebyalibi » Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:27 pm

ku1185 wrote:Shoot yourself or get shot. Whichever you prefer.

wow you're creative

Always Credited

Postby Always Credited » Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:32 pm

Knock wrote:One of these professions gets to carry a gun. I think you know what the right decision is here.

I get issued a gun this summer for a legal job. Sup?

lukebyalibi

Postby lukebyalibi » Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:12 am

Always Credited wrote:
Knock wrote:One of these professions gets to carry a gun. I think you know what the right decision is here.

I get issued a gun this summer for a legal job. Sup?

I believe that sir is the holy grail!!!!

Return to “Law School FAQ”