Law Clerk for a Judge

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
User avatar
Linksys
Posts: 47
Joined: Sat Jul 10, 2010 11:43 pm

Law Clerk for a Judge

Postby Linksys » Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:10 am

Chances of getting this job after graduating from law school?

acrossthelake
Posts: 4431
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 5:27 pm

Re: Law Clerk for a Judge

Postby acrossthelake » Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:10 am

Depends where you go, how your grades are, and what level of judge you want.

User avatar
Linksys
Posts: 47
Joined: Sat Jul 10, 2010 11:43 pm

Re: Law Clerk for a Judge

Postby Linksys » Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:13 am

acrossthelake wrote:Depends where you go, how your grades are, and what level of judge you want.


Say you are not in a T-50 school but are in the top 10% of your class and want to be a clerk for a Circuit Court Judge.

User avatar
Wholigan
Posts: 763
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 4:51 pm

Re: Law Clerk for a Judge

Postby Wholigan » Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:49 am

Linksys wrote:
acrossthelake wrote:Depends where you go, how your grades are, and what level of judge you want.


Say you are not in a T-50 school but are in the top 10% of your class and want to be a clerk for a Circuit Court Judge.


Federal Court of Appeals? Probably ranges from 0%-1% from a TT in the circumstances you describe. You will also probably have to be well higher than just top 10% to even be considered.

User avatar
FlightoftheEarls
Posts: 859
Joined: Fri Dec 19, 2008 5:50 pm

Re: Law Clerk for a Judge

Postby FlightoftheEarls » Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:01 pm

Wholigan wrote:
Linksys wrote:
acrossthelake wrote:Depends where you go, how your grades are, and what level of judge you want.


Say you are not in a T-50 school but are in the top 10% of your class and want to be a clerk for a Circuit Court Judge.


Federal Court of Appeals? Probably ranges from 0%-1% from a TT in the circumstances you describe. You will also probably have to be well higher than just top 10% top 3-5 in your class (ranking, not percent) to even be considered.

The bolded is correct, and I took the liberty of editing for slightly more specificity.

OP: One typically needs to be top 5-10% at a T10 law school to have any sort of decent COA chance. Only top 10% at a school in the top 100 is going to be a very, very long shot. On the other hand, if you're talking about a state court of appeals judge, you'll probably have a fairly decent shot with T2 top 10% credentials (especially if on Law Review).




Return to “Law School FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest