Work Experience^x = Northwestern

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
jrose5

Re: Work Experience^x = Northwestern

Postby jrose5 » Mon May 02, 2011 10:09 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
jrose5 wrote:I'm an applicant in undergrad admitted to NU this year. I interviewed on campus and was accepted 2 weeks later. Oh yeah, I have median numbers for NU so I was NOT a shoo in.

I obviously don't have full time WE, only part time in college. I knew this was to my disadvantage, so in my interview I stressed the aspects of my part time job that involved leadership and organizational skills... it must have worked.

I guess what I'm trying to tell you is that as long as you can spin the WE in a way that makes it sound like you gained the important qualities they're looking for (leadership, organization, project management skills), you'll be fine.

Best of luck!

At both medians is shoo in.

really? I wonder why. Maybe it's because NU accepts so many splitters they actually need people at or above both medians to balance them out...

Postby 09042014 » Mon May 02, 2011 10:10 pm

jrose5 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
jrose5 wrote:I'm an applicant in undergrad admitted to NU this year. I interviewed on campus and was accepted 2 weeks later. Oh yeah, I have median numbers for NU so I was NOT a shoo in.

I obviously don't have full time WE, only part time in college. I knew this was to my disadvantage, so in my interview I stressed the aspects of my part time job that involved leadership and organizational skills... it must have worked.

I guess what I'm trying to tell you is that as long as you can spin the WE in a way that makes it sound like you gained the important qualities they're looking for (leadership, organization, project management skills), you'll be fine.

Best of luck!

really? I wonder why. Maybe it's because NU accepts so many splitters they actually need people at or above both medians to balance them out...

It's shoo in at most schools. Most students are only over one. In fact 170/3.8 is usually worth some scratch.

jrose5

Postby jrose5 » Mon May 02, 2011 10:13 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
jrose5 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

Best of luck!

It's shoo in at most schools. Most students are only over one. In fact 170/3.8 is usually worth some scratch.

Cornell and G-Town must have really hated me then. Above both medians. Either that or they practice YP, but I won't delude myself into thinking that unless someone can confirm this.

antonin

Postby antonin » Mon May 02, 2011 11:07 pm

GTown this year has been acting very strange... do not know about Cornell. Do not know if they YP, I hope not since I think they are a great school, but people who before would get in, this year seem to have not been doing so well.

splitmuch

Postby splitmuch » Tue May 03, 2011 12:28 am

jrose5 wrote:Cornell and G-Town must have really hated me then. Above both medians. Either that or they practice YP, but I won't delude myself into thinking that unless someone can confirm this.

Its not strict numbers YP but it seems like if you don't express a specific interest they'll WL you.

dr123

Postby dr123 » Tue May 03, 2011 12:44 am

Dude what makes you think you'll have all of those jobs as options?

jrose5

Postby jrose5 » Tue May 03, 2011 12:52 am

splitmuch wrote:
jrose5 wrote:Cornell and G-Town must have really hated me then. Above both medians. Either that or they practice YP, but I won't delude myself into thinking that unless someone can confirm this.

Its not strict numbers YP but it seems like if you don't express a specific interest they'll WL you.

Yep. That I did not do. Got away with it at UMich though.

Come to think of it, most schools I wrote a Why X essay for WLed me. I think I wrongly assumed that it was only necessary for more competitive schools.

Postby 09042014 » Tue May 03, 2011 12:54 am

jrose5 wrote:
splitmuch wrote:

Come to think of it, most schools I wrote a Why X essay for WLed me. I think I wrongly assumed that it was only necessary for more competitive schools.

It's actually quite the opposite. Why X are for schools who think you might prefer a better school. Columbia isn't going to be worried you'll pick someone else.

jrose5

Postby jrose5 » Tue May 03, 2011 12:58 am

Desert Fox wrote:
jrose5 wrote:
splitmuch wrote:

It's actually quite the opposite. Why X are for schools who think you might prefer a better school. Columbia isn't going to be worried you'll pick someone else.

Yeahhhpp...

I mean, I sound whiny now when honestly I'm fine with how my cycle turned out, but honestly I don't think that's very fair. It doesn't sound like a meritocracy to me. I suppose I should remember that law schools are also businesses that want to help their image by having a good yield rate.

Return to “Law School FAQ”