0L Prep Inquiry

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
drmguy

Re: 0L Prep Inquiry

Postby drmguy » Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:07 pm

Just to clarify...I was inquiring about accurately determining which supplements to purchase prior to having a class schedule in hand.

Any and all threads on TLS that contain the phrase "0L prep" get a tl;dr response of either search or waste of time. Neither of those were a correct answer because I wasn't asking if it was a good use of time and none of the threads I read addressed this issue. Maybe as one poster said I wanted to not worry about buying them at the beginning of the semester.

The only reasonable answer was my own answer, to ask admissions, but this begs the question of whether or not anyone has done this before, to which no one responded.

Now, for the hell of it, I will contact admissions and ask them. But again, I don't even know if that is the correct avenue.

thecilent

Postby thecilent » Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:09 pm

drmguy wrote:Just to clarify...I was inquiring about accurately determining which supplements to purchase prior to having a class schedule in hand.

Any and all threads on TLS that contain the phrase "0L prep" get a tl;dr response of either search or waste of time. Neither of those were a correct answer because I wasn't asking if it was a good use of time and none of the threads I read addressed this issue. Maybe as one poster said I wanted to not worry about buying them at the beginning of the semester.

The only reasonable answer was my own answer, to ask admissions, but this begs the question of whether or not anyone has done this before, to which no one responded.

Now, for the hell of it, I will contact admissions and ask them. But again, I don't even know if that is the correct avenue.

Oh hush

drmguy

Postby drmguy » Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:18 pm

G. T. L. Rev. wrote:
drmguy wrote:which supplements to purchase prior to having a class schedule in hand.

Empty set. Which is why you couldn't find anything you considered helpful in earlier posts.

Ok....that is an answers to the question whereas "waste of time" and "search" were not.

Also, I am assuming that your answer is based on you assuming and not experience.

OutCold

Postby OutCold » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:46 pm

drmguy wrote:
G. T. L. Rev. wrote:
drmguy wrote:which supplements to purchase prior to having a class schedule in hand.

Empty set. Which is why you couldn't find anything you considered helpful in earlier posts.

Ok....that is an answers to the question whereas "waste of time" and "search" were not.

Also, I am assuming that your answer is based on you assuming and not experience.

He's talking from experience, don't make assumptions. Seriously, the reason you're getting so much negative feedback is because this same thread has been started a million times over. It's not all that difficult to find this stuff on here with a little digging.

This is sitting at the top of the law school students forum, the very first thread: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=26949

There is no purpose to buying supplements until your classes start, and even then, there isn't a clear consensus on what the best supplement is for each subject. As Paichka already told you, it really depends on your professor and your own personal preferences.

dabbadon8

Postby dabbadon8 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:50 pm

Has anyone heard of The Legal Analyst: A Toolkit for Thinking about the Law? I had it recommended to me recently but don't remember it being mentioned on the boards.

drmguy

Postby drmguy » Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:54 am

OutCold wrote:
drmguy wrote:
G. T. L. Rev. wrote:

He's talking from experience, don't make assumptions. Seriously, the reason you're getting so much negative feedback is because this same thread has been started a million times over. It's not all that difficult to find this stuff on here with a little digging.

This is sitting at the top of the law school students forum, the very first thread: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=26949

There is no purpose to buying supplements until your classes start, and even then, there isn't a clear consensus on what the best supplement is for each subject. As Paichka already told you, it really depends on your professor and your own personal preferences.

It is my assumption, most likely rightfully so, that no one yet in this thread has contacted their school 3/4/5 months out to determine their professors and emailed their professors to find out the professors suggested supplement.

If I am wrong please inform me.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:29 am

drmguy wrote:It is my assumption, most likely rightfully so, that no one yet in this thread has contacted their school 3/4/5 months out to determine their professors and emailed their professors to find out the professors suggested supplement.

People ITT are telling you that even if it is possible (and it probably isn't) that it would be a waste of time.

drmguy

Postby drmguy » Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:42 am

OutCold wrote:
drmguy wrote:
G. T. L. Rev. wrote:

I looked through the 0L thread and there WAS a "when should i buy supplements" thread. Within that thread there were typical answers saying do it/don't do it. There was not any indication that any students were able to purchase all of the correct supplements with certainty before receiving a class schedule.

bk1 wrote:
drmguy wrote:It is my assumption, most likely rightfully so, that no one yet in this thread has contacted their school 3/4/5 months out to determine their professors and emailed their professors to find out the professors suggested supplement.

People ITT are telling you that even if it is possible (and it probably isn't) that it would be a waste of time.

So then it seems no one has achieved this result. I am not aware of whether anyone has tried but at least no one that has tried responded to the thread. I will attempt to contact them and post the results.

I am not trying to start crap and am 95% sure I will not read a single supplement until school starts but some people won't listen. Regardless of whether or not reading supplements as a 0L is a good idea some people are going to do it. For those who will not listen to your near unanimous guidance, being able to achieve what I asked for from the get go would save them money.

I honestly don't see the harm in this.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:08 am

Honestly, the administration probably hasn't made the sections yet; especially if you're not doing summer jump start. So calling and trying to figure out supplements and professors at this point is a waste.

Heartford

Postby Heartford » Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:38 pm

G. T. L. Rev. wrote: You clearly have a lot of law school anxiety, free time, and energy. I suggest you find another, more productive outlet for those forces.

180. OP: We all know what it feels like to be anticipating law school, so we all feel some degree of empathy for you, but you should know that quibbling over meaningless issues like this one is not a useful skill either in law school or law practice. Professors and judges will both shut you down before you get a chance to say, "but, but, but...," so there's no need to practice here.

Good law students and good lawyers get a feel for how the system works, and then mold their situations to fit best within the structure. What you're doing here is fighting the structure. So instead of insisting that you need information that doesn't exist, and refusing to take "you're wrong" for an answer, take a step back and evaluate the feedback you've been given (which includes suggestions about what you could be doing right now other than searching for hornbooks) and figure out how to best position yourself.

drmguy

Postby drmguy » Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:42 pm

Heartford wrote:
G. T. L. Rev. wrote: You clearly have a lot of law school anxiety, free time, and energy. I suggest you find another, more productive outlet for those forces.

180. OP: We all know what it feels like to be anticipating law school, so we all feel some degree of empathy for you, but you should know that quibbling over meaningless issues like this one is not a useful skill either in law school or law practice. Professors and judges will both shut you down before you get a chance to say, "but, but, but...," so there's no need to practice here.

Good law students and good lawyers get a feel for how the system works, and then mold their situations to fit best within the structure. What you're doing here is fighting the structure. So instead of insisting that you need information that doesn't exist, and refusing to take "you're wrong" for an answer, take a step back and evaluate the feedback you've been given (which includes suggestions about what you could be doing right now other than searching for hornbooks) and figure out how to best position yourself.

At this point I don't want to even buy any myself.

All that I really want to know is whether or not a 0L can find out their professors before their school sends them a class schedule.

Who knows...maybe some schools have a 90% chance student to class allocation well before they send out the official class schedules to students.

thecilent

Postby thecilent » Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:54 pm

Heartford wrote:

Tyft

alumniguy

Postby alumniguy » Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:55 pm

drmguy wrote:At this point I don't want to even buy any myself.

All that I really want to know is whether or not a 0L can find out their professors before their school sends them a class schedule.

Who knows...maybe some schools have a 90% chance student to class allocation well before they send out the official class schedules to students.

There is no "answer" to this question for several reasons:

1. Some professors flat out tell you to never use a hornbook - i.e., they going to tell you NOT to use, let alone suggest one that corresponds to their syllabus.

2. You likely won't know which section you are in/professors you will have until a few weeks/months before class.

3. Professors are constantly updating their syllabi and even change case books from time to time.

The "best" advice I would give you is to NOT contact the professor directly. They will undoubtedly think you are an insecure student that is freaking out. The only way that I can see you obtaining this information in a way is to reach out to rising 2Ls over the summer and ask them what hornbooks that the particular professor recommended or, in absence of a recommendation, what that particular student recommends.

Done - question answered.

Heartford

Postby Heartford » Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:57 pm

drmguy wrote:
Heartford wrote:

At this point I don't want to even buy any myself.

So call the registrar, as I think you already suggested to yourself. My best guess: no registrar will see the benefit of taking time out of her/his day to collect this information ahead of time, even if it is available, only to satisfy the curiosity of a rising 1L who will be given access to her/his schedule in a matter of months anyway. But hey, that's just a guess. Many registrars are currently in the midst of registering their rising 2L and 3L classes for next fall. Want to annoy an overworked and underpaid office worker to satisfy your own anxiety-driven curiosity? Go for it.

drmguy

Postby drmguy » Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:59 pm

alumniguy wrote:
drmguy wrote:At this point I don't want to even buy any myself.

There is no "answer" to this question for several reasons:

1. Some professors flat out tell you to never use a hornbook - i.e., they going to tell you NOT to use, let alone suggest one that corresponds to their syllabus.

2. You likely won't know which section you are in/professors you will have until a few weeks/months before class.

3. Professors are constantly updating their syllabi and even change case books from time to time.

The "best" advice I would give you is to NOT contact the professor directly. They will undoubtedly think you are an insecure student that is freaking out. The only way that I can see you obtaining this information in a way is to reach out to rising 2Ls over the summer and ask them what hornbooks that the particular professor recommended or, in absence of a recommendation, what that particular student recommends.

Done - question answered.

I think this still leaves open the question of whether or not admissions can tell you your professors before you receive a schedule.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:01 pm

drmguy wrote:I think this still leaves open the question of whether or not admissions can tell you your professors before you receive a schedule.

Your persistence makes me think that you haven't actually had a change of heart and that you still fully intend to buy and read those supplements prior to law school believing it will help you.

drmguy

Postby drmguy » Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:05 pm

bk1 wrote:
drmguy wrote:I think this still leaves open the question of whether or not admissions can tell you your professors before you receive a schedule.

Your persistence makes me think that you haven't actually had a change of heart and that you still fully intend to buy and read those supplements prior to law school believing it will help you.

I really wont. I am going coast to coast for school and it would be a huge pain to lug around all those extra books. Also theres the whole 95% of current law students say it is a waste.

alumniguy

Postby alumniguy » Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:14 pm

The answer is no. Admissions will continually be changing the composition of the classes until the entire class is settled (i.e., until they've finalized the class with WL acceptances). Law school classes will be balanced so that not all of the 170 LSAT students are clustered together in the same section. So, admissions isn't going to tell you anything. In fact, once you're admitted - admissions is no longer relevant to you. You're file is handed off to the academic dean and other departments that deal with actual law school student issues.

But why not just call admissions rather than spend hours and hours trying to find the answer. It really should be an easy call.

"Hi, I recently sent in my seat deposit and am looking forward to starting classes in the fall. Can you provide me with any information as to when I will be receiving my class schedule/list of professors."

"Certainly. Class schedules will be mailed out/made available on the admitted students site on July 15, 2011. Have a nice day."

bk1

Postby bk1 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:28 pm

alumniguy wrote:Law school classes will be balanced so that not all of the 170 LSAT students are clustered together in the same section.

Is this actually true?

thecilent

Postby thecilent » Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:32 pm

bk1 wrote:
alumniguy wrote:Law school classes will be balanced so that not all of the 170 LSAT students are clustered together in the same section.

Is this actually true?

Also interested in this. I know they will look at where they place scholly people, but never heard anyone say this before

drmguy

Postby drmguy » Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:48 pm

bk1 wrote:

Is this actually true?

thecilent wrote:
bk1 wrote:

Is this actually true?

Also interested in this. I know they will look at where they place scholly people, but never heard anyone say this before

See now aren't you glad I made this thread.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:49 pm

drmguy wrote:See now aren't you glad I made this thread.

Still no.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Sun Apr 17, 2011 12:31 am

G. T. L. Rev. wrote:
bk1 wrote:
drmguy wrote:See now aren't you glad I made this thread.

Still no.

TCR.

Also, practice on the section balancing thing varies from school to school.

At the school OP is going to it's balanced. I know because I go there; they also mix up the classes somewhat for second semester to balance even further (it's done about a month before the end of the semester, so it's not at all based on grades).

Also, OP, the class isn't close to finalized, so unless you are doing summer start, you aren't getting your professors until July. If you just want a list of the 1L profs teaching next semester, PM me and I'll tell you how to get it (though you won't know your specific profs unless you are doing evening).

tea_drinker

Postby tea_drinker » Sun Apr 17, 2011 2:49 am

drmguy wrote:
bk1 wrote:

I really wont. I am going coast to coast for school and it would be a huge pain to lug around all those extra books. Also theres the whole 95% of current law students say it is a waste.

So, what is the point of you asking this question? Wait until you know your professor and ask them about supplements, better yet, know what areas of law they focus on in their class.

Meerkat Manor

Postby Meerkat Manor » Sun Apr 17, 2011 3:41 am

FORUM SEARCH FOR THE LOVE OF GOD

Return to “Law School FAQ”