0L Prep Inquiry

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
drmguy

0L Prep Inquiry

Postby drmguy » Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:05 pm

I know this might be faced with a bunch of "waste of time" responses but I think some people could benefit from this information.

How would a 0L go about finding out which E&Es and hornbooks etc. they should(not should as in you have to but should as in buying the correct one) purchase before class starts. It is my understanding that they are not always the same books for example if the professor wrote a book. Or is my assumption wrong and hornbooks/E&Es are always the same?

tea_drinker

Re: 0L Prep Inquiry

Postby tea_drinker » Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:34 pm

bk1

Postby bk1 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:35 pm

tea_drinker wrote:Image

One fucking eighty.

Stonewall

Postby Stonewall » Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:35 pm

^ nice.

drmguy

Postby drmguy » Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:49 pm

Yes i can find a plethora of responses that say buy X unless your professor did something else. Well as a lowly 0L I have no clue who my professors are going to be. I am asking is it possible to ask admissions or some department to know which professors you will have in order to determine if one must purchase any that are written by a professor at your school instead of the general one.

That does not answer my question in any way.

The only responses are ones biased by non-0L prep people that say wait until schools starts. I am not asking for a general response I am asking has anyone been able to find out exactly which ones they need as a 0L.
Last edited by drmguy on Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:51 pm

drmguy wrote:Yes i can find a plethora of responses that say buy X unless your professor did something else. Well as a lowly 0L I have no clue who my professors are going to be. I am asking is it possible to ask admissions or some department to know which professors you will have in order to determine if one must purchase any that are written by a professor at your school instead of the general one.

Looks like you answered your own question.

dakatz

Postby dakatz » Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:51 pm

If you read closely enough, then you would know that reading E&E's and hornbooks are the completely wrong way to go if you seek to get an advantage over your classmates. I'm not kidding. Look harder. I've posted the go-to advice for the real smart ones who want an edge in the past 2 threads about 0L prep. If you read the most recent ones, you can find it. I sort of promised that I won't keep reposting it.

drmguy

Postby drmguy » Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:53 pm

bk1 wrote:
drmguy wrote:Yes i can find a plethora of responses that say buy X unless your professor did something else. Well as a lowly 0L I have no clue who my professors are going to be. I am asking is it possible to ask admissions or some department to know which professors you will have in order to determine if one must purchase any that are written by a professor at your school instead of the general one.

If I ask admissions right now they could tell me which professors I am going to have for all my first semester classes? Additionally, admissions is going to know which of these professors has published their own supplement?

bk1

Postby bk1 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:55 pm

drmguy wrote:If I ask admissions right now they could tell me which professors I am going to have for all my first semester classes? Additionally, admissions is going to know which of these professors has published their own supplement?

They could probably tell you which professors teach first year courses. You would then have a list of several professors for each class. With that list you could then look up online to see which had published their own supplements.

drmguy

Postby drmguy » Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:58 pm

bk1 wrote:
drmguy wrote:If I ask admissions right now they could tell me which professors I am going to have for all my first semester classes? Additionally, admissions is going to know which of these professors has published their own supplement?

They could probably tell you which professors teach first year courses. You would then have a list of several professors for each class. With that list you could then look up online to see which had published their own supplements.

To result in worst case scenario buying 4 supplements for every class? Again I am not relating this necessarily to myself but who knows. It is possible that more than 1 professor at some school in 1 subject have published a supplement. Even if only 1 has published a supplement and you dont know if you are going to have that professor that still means two books.

This is why I asked this question.

dakatz

Postby dakatz » Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:59 pm

drmguy wrote:
bk1 wrote:

If I ask admissions right now they could tell me which professors I am going to have for all my first semester classes? Additionally, admissions is going to know which of these professors has published their own supplement?

Ug, for the love of god, I'll freakin' post it again.

DO NOT DO 0L PREP OR READ SUPPLEMENTS!! Here is what you should be doing:

--Sprucing up your resume
--Making cover letter templates
--Getting faster at typing. I don't care how fast you think you are. You can do even better, and you will need every second on some of these law school exams
--Reading about law school exams, what they entail, how they are structured, etc. Read Getting to Maybe, or listen to LEEWS for some helpful info
--Read every "success in law school" thread on this site and others. Take note of some of the helpful tips that helped other people do extremely well
--Take some time to self-reflect and understand why you are going to law school and what you want to get out of it. Don't go in blind or you will be disappointed
--Network with alumni. I can't stress how helpful this was to me. Email alumni in your area, and see if you can set up some informational phone calls. These usually turn into real friendly conversations. Some of these contacts can help you secure 1L interviews, point you in the direction of solid opportunities, or put you in touch with people who can help

Nowhere on this list is 0L prep. I've said it over and over, but the above things are GUARANTEED to help you. Stop wasting time while others are actually getting an edge. If you wanna win the race, be the tortoise, not the hare. Calm down, take a breathe, and step away from the prep books.

Note: If you are just inquiring which books to buy so that you are all set for classes, that is different. But don't try and read/learn them yet. If you are thinking about doing that, then all of the above applies. You should wait until the few weeks before class to pick up supplements. Buying now is completely unnecessary.

tea_drinker

Postby tea_drinker » Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:04 pm

[img]image[/img]

The only responses are ones biased by non-0L prep people that say wait until schools starts. I am not asking for a general response I am asking has anyone been able to find out exactly which ones they need as a 0L.

How does my post not answer your question? You asked "How would a 0L go about finding out...?" I pointed to the search function, which is the best way to go about finding whatever you want to find. And if you have tried multiple searches and have spent some of your value times reading through some of those threads, you would have found out the answer(s) you want.

drmguy

Postby drmguy » Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:07 pm

tea_drinker wrote:

[img]image[/img]

How does my post not answer your question? You asked "How would a 0L go about finding out...?" I pointed to the search function, which is the best way to go about finding whatever you want to find. And if you have tried multiple searches and have spent some of your value times reading through some of those threads, you would have found out the answer(s) you want.

I read several threads and no one addressed how to successfully determine which ones would be the correct ones to buy without starting school. The responses deemed correct were the ones that were against 0L prep without answering the question.

dakatz

Postby dakatz » Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:10 pm

drmguy wrote:
tea_drinker wrote:

[img]image[/img]

I read several threads and no one addressed how to successfully determine which ones would be the correct ones to buy without starting school. The responses deemed correct were the ones that were against 0L prep without answering the question.

You email your professors about a week or 2 before you go up to school. They tell you which supplements, if any, they recommend, or which ones they wrote. End of story. Its really that easy.

drmguy

Postby drmguy » Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:11 pm

dakatz wrote:
drmguy wrote:
tea_drinker wrote:

[img]image[/img]

You email your professors about a week or 2 before you go up to school. They tell you which supplements, if any, they recommend, or which ones they wrote. End of story. Its really that easy.

So TCR is 3,4,5 months out this is not possible to do? And if someone chooses to purchase them that early then they run the risk of buying and reading the wrong one.

Heartford

Postby Heartford » Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:12 pm

drmguy wrote:

they were correct, and did answer the question. No hornbook will help you in any way right now. If you don't believe us, go buy some fucking hornbooks. Good luck. /thread.

tea_drinker

Postby tea_drinker » Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:15 pm

drmguy wrote:I read several threads and no one addressed how to successfully determine which ones would be the correct ones to buy without starting school. The responses deemed correct were the ones that were against 0L prep without answering the question.

I am not really sure what you search. This is what I get from typing "which hornbooks to buy" in the search function

dakatz

Postby dakatz » Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:19 pm

No it isn't possible, nor would it be helpful. What is the use of having those books just sitting around, unless you need some paperweights (since I'm hoping you understand that you shouldn't be reading them before school anyway, and are smart enough to take my above advice). You won't buy the wrong ones, since your professors will be very specific in which ones they recommend. Plus, you will use them sparsely and slowly. Not to mention the fact that your school library will have copies on file of all the major supplements. So don't worry.

Cupidity

Postby Cupidity » Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:26 pm

Do not study hornbooks or E&E's prior to law school, ever.

If you want to use your time productively, target employers and write a horde of cover letters, clean up your resume.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:47 am

drmguy wrote:I know this might be faced with a bunch of "waste of time" responses but I think some people could benefit from this information.

How would a 0L go about finding out which E&Es and hornbooks etc. they should(not should as in you have to but should as in buying the correct one) purchase before class starts. It is my understanding that they are not always the same books for example if the professor wrote a book. Or is my assumption wrong and hornbooks/E&Es are always the same?

You'll get your classes in July, so hold tight until then (unless you're doing Jump Start).
You don't need to figure out anything with supplements yet, so seriously hold off.

Paichka

Postby Paichka » Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:26 am

IMO, there's one very significant reason you should hold off on buying supplements until school starts -- until you get your hot little hands on a syllabus, you have no idea of the focus your professor is going to take in your subject.

Seriously, the best thing to do is to wait until school starts, and sit through a class or two. Look over the syllabus -- how much time does your teacher devote to each subject? For example, if you're in crim, does he/she have a model penal code or common law focus? Does your torts professor spend four weeks on products liability? Get a broad sense of the class from the readings -- a longer reading (with more notes cases) means that your professor will probably want a more nuanced understanding of that topic, whereas a shorter reading means you're probably just skimming for the highlights.

Armed with that knowledge, march yourself down to the library. Let's say you're looking for a good contracts supplements. Check out the Contracts E&E, the Understanding Contracts book from Lexus, and maybe Farnsworth on Contracts. Read a section out of each book -- whichever one makes the most sense for you in terms of organization, generality vs. specificity, clarity of language, whatever -- THAT is the one you should go on to Amazon.com and buy.

I wish I'd done this first semester my 1L year -- I bought all of the E&Es for my classes just to have them on hand. I ended up hating all of them, and getting the Understanding series for each of my classes instead. I also read the occasional section in Farnsworth on Contracts (Farnsworth wrote my casebook) if I needed a little more clarity on a subject (Parole Evidence Rule, anyone? :)).

TL;DR -- wait until you've done at least one reading assignment for each class, and buy the supplement whose structure and organization makes the most sense to you, and/or the supplement written by your professor.

drmguy

Postby drmguy » Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:56 pm

Paichka wrote:IMO, there's one very significant reason you should hold off on buying supplements until school starts -- until you get your hot little hands on a syllabus, you have no idea of the focus your professor is going to take in your subject.

Seriously, the best thing to do is to wait until school starts, and sit through a class or two. Look over the syllabus -- how much time does your teacher devote to each subject? For example, if you're in crim, does he/she have a model penal code or common law focus? Does your torts professor spend four weeks on products liability? Get a broad sense of the class from the readings -- a longer reading (with more notes cases) means that your professor will probably want a more nuanced understanding of that topic, whereas a shorter reading means you're probably just skimming for the highlights.

Armed with that knowledge, march yourself down to the library. Let's say you're looking for a good contracts supplements. Check out the Contracts E&E, the Understanding Contracts book from Lexus, and maybe Farnsworth on Contracts. Read a section out of each book -- whichever one makes the most sense for you in terms of organization, generality vs. specificity, clarity of language, whatever -- THAT is the one you should go on to Amazon.com and buy.

I wish I'd done this first semester my 1L year -- I bought all of the E&Es for my classes just to have them on hand. I ended up hating all of them, and getting the Understanding series for each of my classes instead. I also read the occasional section in Farnsworth on Contracts (Farnsworth wrote my casebook) if I needed a little more clarity on a subject (Parole Evidence Rule, anyone? :)).

TL;DR -- wait until you've done at least one reading assignment for each class, and buy the supplement whose structure and organization makes the most sense to you, and/or the supplement written by your professor.

Thank you

Wholigan

Postby Wholigan » Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:05 pm

Last edited by Wholigan on Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

swilson215

Postby swilson215 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:11 pm

My 0L prep consists of watching The Paper Chase, reading sections of LSC and GTM, going to the beach and drinking. I bet I enjoy it more than you enjoy those hornbooks.

Kiersten1985

Postby Kiersten1985 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:50 pm

Read Getting to Maybe.

I agree w/dakatz for the most part. I would read some threads on here about general tips, note-taking, outlining, exam prep, etc. BUT with the caveat that you will most likely find a different way that works best for you.

I know it's frustrating to feel like there's no way to "get ahead" summer before 1L but it's reality. You WILL - no matter what - spend a ton of time 1st semester just figuring out what works for you.

If you're really freaking out, SKIM - don't read - a couple Examples and Explanations books to get an overview of stuff. But your professor will not cover everything in it and may tell you things that are completely different from what's in the E&E. I agree w/dakatz that it can be detrimental.

Just relax, seriously. Nobody will be at an advantage come the first day of classes unless they already went to law school. Trust me.

Return to “Law School FAQ”