Military Service and Age Cutoff for Big Law Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
Jethromoney

New

Military Service and Age Cutoff for Big Law

Post by Jethromoney » Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:07 pm

Hey all,

I had a question that doesn't seem to have been answered anywhere else around the site.

I am interested in doing a military commission immediately after UG that would probably last 3-4 years. Aside from that, I have an interest in going to law school (pref. T-14, no higher than 20, and I think I am in an academic place to have a good shot at it) and getting a job in biglaw.

My question is, if I were to serve in the military before going to law school, would this place me out of range for getting a job in biglaw? I'm sure military service would be a good soft and would help me get into law school, and I know 25-26 isn't too old to go to law school, but I'm mostly concerned with being able to get a solid job afterwards. Thanks for any help ahead of time.

Also I don't know if this is in the proper forum, so feel free to redirect me if it would be more appropriate elsewhere.

Thanks,
Jethro

Stringer Bell

Gold

Re: Military Service and Age Cutoff for Big Law

Post by Stringer Bell » Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:14 pm

I don't think you should worry at all about your age precluding you from employment opportunities if you will be starting at age 25-26.

Cavgirl

New

Post by Cavgirl » Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:38 am

If you are concerned about age, keep in mind that you might not be able to get out after your commitment due to Stop Loss.

tittsburghfeelers

Bronze

Post by tittsburghfeelers » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:47 am

Jethromoney wrote:Hey all,

I had a question that doesn't seem to have been answered anywhere else around the site.

I am interested in doing a military commission immediately after UG that would probably last 3-4 years. Aside from that, I have an interest in going to law school (pref. T-14, no higher than 20, and I think I am in an academic place to have a good shot at it) and getting a job in biglaw.

My question is, if I were to serve in the military before going to law school, would this place me out of range for getting a job in biglaw? I'm sure military service would be a good soft and would help me get into law school, and I know 25-26 isn't too old to go to law school, but I'm mostly concerned with being able to get a solid job afterwards. Thanks for any help ahead of time.

Also I don't know if this is in the proper forum, so feel free to redirect me if it would be more appropriate elsewhere.

Thanks,
Jethro
Interested in this as well. I would be 26 or 27 when beginning law school, so I would graduate at 29 or 30. How old is too old for biglaw?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”