Is business bad for solo attorneys? Solo vs. Big law

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
blsingindisguise

Re: Is business bad for solo attorneys? Solo vs. Big law

Postby blsingindisguise » Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:19 am

wannabesolo wrote:
I can see why you never went solo.

Because in reality, it is just about the same.

Have you ever had a friend/family member with a DUI? Have you ever had a friend/family member with a divorce? criminal charge? etc.

If so then you would know, that if you had a good lawyer your friend/family member would likely use them too.

Sure the friend/family member may not have a DUI for 5 more years. . . but word of mouth spreads exponetially.

Classic magical thinking. By this reasoning every business ever opened would be a success, and yet in reality the vast majority fail. Sure, if you had the funds to stick out net losses for a couple years, you might eventually have enough "word of mouth" business to make it, but unless you're from a rich family you don't have that kind of money. I'm talking about having a low six-figure number in the bank to start, and doing a DAMN good job of managing your business.

blsingindisguise

Postby blsingindisguise » Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:20 am

But yeah, the head-into-wallness of this thread makes me suspect flame as well.

wannabesolo

Postby wannabesolo » Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:20 am

aliarrow wrote:
wannabesolo wrote:I can see why you never went solo.

Have you ever had a friend/family member with a DUI? Have you ever had a friend/family member with a divorce? criminal charge? etc.

If so then you would know, that if you had a good lawyer your friend/family member would likely use them too.

Sure the friend/family member may not have a DUI for 5 more years. . . but word of mouth spreads exponetially.

Look, I obviously only used DUI as an example.

Jeez, you'd think you people would learn to think in law school.

Criminal cases, DUI, divorce, etc. etc. the list can go on and on and on....

The essential requirement for creating any successful business is the hard work and energy of it's leader. Now if the good leader is selling a shit product, then sure it may not work out for him... But if it's a good lawyer selling his expertise in the law... I don't see why you all think it's such a long shot. I'm not saying I'm the one who can do it.. But I'm saying that it could very well be done.

In my life I think I've known one person who needed a lawyer once. Even if I did somehow know a perpetual drunk who gets a DUI every now and then, and has other drunk friends who all go out DUI-ing every 5 years, a 5 year rate of spreading isn't what I'd call "exponential". Especially since its DUI. I don't think your fine, inexperienced legal services will be so superb I'll take it upon myself to get shitfaced and drive every other week just so I can keep coming back.

I don't even know why I'm buying into this flame.

wannabesolo

Postby wannabesolo » Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:22 am

wannabesolo wrote:
aliarrow wrote:
wannabesolo wrote:I can see why you never went solo.

The essential requirement for creating any successful business is the hard work and energy of it's leader. Now if the good leader is selling a shit product, then sure it may not work out for him... But if it's a good lawyer selling his expertise in the law... I don't see why you all think it's such a long shot. I'm not saying I'm the one who can do it.. But I'm saying that it could very well be done.

In my life I think I've known one person who needed a lawyer once. Even if I did somehow know a perpetual drunk who gets a DUI every now and then, and has other drunk friends who all go out DUI-ing every 5 years, a 5 year rate of spreading isn't what I'd call "exponential". Especially since its DUI. I don't think your fine, inexperienced legal services will be so superb I'll take it upon myself to get shitfaced and drive every other week just so I can keep coming back.

I don't even know why I'm buying into this flame.

Return to “Law School FAQ”