Top Schools for Law and Economics? Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
camelcrema

Bronze

Top Schools for Law and Economics?

Post by camelcrema » Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:27 pm

I did a bit of research on this, but was wondering if others had any input. University of Chicago seems to be the pinnacle of the Law and Economics curriculum, and George Mason seems to have a solid program as well. NYU has also been pushing this field pretty ferociously lately, but beyond that, I can't think of any more. Vandy has the PhD in Law and Economics, but I don't know if that's really for legal practice. Am I missing anything?

HowdyYall

Bronze

Re: Top Schools for Law and Economics?

Post by HowdyYall » Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:29 pm

It seems like "Law and Economics" is becoming the new "International Law"

camelcrema

Bronze

Post by camelcrema » Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:36 pm

HowdyYall wrote:It seems like "Law and Economics" is becoming the new "International Law"
Don't make me start the "should i get an llm in Law and Economics" thread! :D

No, I understand it's mostly an academic construct, but I find it to be an interesting one. And its teachings are applicable to fields like Antitrust and Securities Regulation, maybe M&A and tax law, so I don't think it's a terrible field to explore. Unfortunately, it doesn't sound nearly as sexy as "international law" :(

D-ROCCA

Bronze

Post by D-ROCCA » Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:42 pm

Chicago, and only Chicago. Also, like 4 people in the world actually do law and economics research and work for a living.

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:43 pm

camelcrema wrote:I did a bit of research on this, but was wondering if others had any input. University of Chicago seems to be the pinnacle of the Law and Economics curriculum, and George Mason seems to have a solid program as well. NYU has also been pushing this field pretty ferociously lately, but beyond that, I can't think of any more. Vandy has the PhD in Law and Economics, but I don't know if that's really for legal practice. Am I missing anything?
Yale.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

TTH

Diamond

Post by TTH » Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:43 am

D-ROCCA wrote:Chicago, and only Chicago. Also, like 4 people in the world actually do law and economics research and work for a living.
And they all teach at Chicago. Well...one splits time between Chicago and NYU now

nonprofit-prophet

Silver

Post by nonprofit-prophet » Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:54 am

D-ROCCA wrote:Chicago, and only Chicago. Also, like 4 people in the world actually do law and economics research and work for a living.

This is actually incorrect. Quite a few think-tanks do it in DC

spondee

Bronze

Post by spondee » Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:56 am

All the top law schools will have lots of L&E scholars. It's been too big a deal for too long not to have them. Started in the early '60s at Chicago, but has spread. So... go to any good school you get into/like.

But if you're still lusting for ranking, Leiter's ranked this before...

Richie Tenenbaum

Gold

Post by Richie Tenenbaum » Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:59 am

Most law schools will have some law and econ guys on their faculty. But yeah, it's really not a specific career path, typically just an academic interest/focus.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

zonto

Bronze

Post by zonto » Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:28 pm

George Mason touts this specifically in their recruitment literature if you're interested in reading up about it.

Disclosure: I was underwhelmed during my visit and won't be attending.

nonprofit-prophet

Silver

Post by nonprofit-prophet » Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:36 pm

Forget Mason... just about every top school has an Olin program. They tend to be pretty good, due to the funding. Off the top of my head, I think UVA, mich, GULC, harvard, stanford, and chicago all have Olin programs. There are probably more.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”