Trying to figure out if law school is worth it for me.

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
ec8338

Trying to figure out if law school is worth it for me.

Postby ec8338 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:29 pm

Hey guys,

I'm graduating this spring with a degree in accounting and a job with a mega-firm starting me off at 55k. I'll admit I don't know what it's really like to work in law but I reckon it would be a lot more interesting and fulfilling than accounting. I'm going to graduate with roughly a 3.91 from a large public university and also about 35k in loans. I had some questions to try and determine if law school would be a wise choice for me.

1. I know people hate hypothetical questions but If I were to get say, a 165 on LSATs to go along with my 3.91 what type/tier of school could I get a full ride from? With a 170?

2. Is this biglaw or bust stuff true? If youre not at big law can you still make 100k? Is a T3/T4 pointless to go to even if you can go virtually for free?

3. Do people typically work jobs while in law school or is the work load too much? I don't know what I could do about that 35k.

4. Is it true that youre undergrad school really doesnt matter much? It seems wrong I'd be on equal ground with someone coming out of an ivy league school.

5. If you wait a year or two to apply to law school does youre GPA mean less?

Thanks for whatever help you can give me.

Wholigan

Re: Trying to figure out if law school is worth it for me.

Postby Wholigan » Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:49 pm

1) Just look at the law school profiles. If you are higher than both 75% cutoffs, you probably have a chance at a full ride. With your GPA, a 165 should net you a full ride from some T2s, and you can go up from there.

2) You can make $100k, but there are just far less jobs out there paying in that range to new associates. It's just a numbers game - of all the people who are marginal for "biglaw" and strike out, there simply aren't enough openings in the "competetive but below market" category.

3) It varies. Work for at least two years and get as much paid off as you can. An accounting job is great substantive work experience for law school. You have almost no good reason to apply to law school in the next two years.

4) Yes, it's true. Maybe the super-elite law schools and firms care a little, but that's about it. Why don't you think you should be on even ground? I bet plenty of 2011 ivy league grads would take your job if they could.

5) No.

rdcws000

Postby rdcws000 » Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:46 am

I'll just address one of your premises:

I'll admit I don't know what it's really like to work in law but I reckon it would be a lot more interesting and fulfilling than accounting.

One with an accounting degree is not doomed to a life in accounting. It is a foundation, and in many companies it is a foundation upon which CEO's are built. I say this because I do not have an accounting or financial background, and I have spent 13 years with a large company watching senior executive level positions be filled with people who started in accounting, and internal audit, as opposed to sales, marketing, supply chain, operations, etc.

Lawyers on the other hand, typically fill only one of the many senior executive level positions with my company. Can you guess which one? Senior VP, General Counsel. That's really it.

In a nutshell, an accounting skillset is more transferrable into a different field than a legal one.

Then there is the widely accepted wisdom that you should not go to law school just becaue you're not sure what else to do.

I'm not saying YOU shouldn't, but I would recommend you go to work for several years, and only go to law school if you have a burning desire to be a lawyer.

firemed

Postby firemed » Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:06 am

rdcws000 wrote:
Then there is the widely accepted wisdom that you should not go to law school just becaue you're not sure what else to do.

I'm not saying YOU shouldn't, but I would recommend you go to work for several years, and only go to law school if you have a burning desire to be a lawyer.

+1

Richie Tenenbaum

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:33 am

It's easier to do this by schools who are known to give out significant money in the T30:
WUSTL- With a 167, you should be almost guaranteed a near to fullride (they gave out 114k to most everyone with a 3.8+ and a 167 on LSN)
Emory- With a 165-167 you should have a strong chance at a substantial amount of money
UIUC- Decent shot at money with 166+ (good shot at a full ride if you can get 170+)

Not sure about other schools in the T50 that like to give out a lot of cash, but I'm sure others can add to this list. In any case with around a 166+ you would be very competitive for money with schools in the 20-30.

With a 170+ you should be competitive for significant money at UT/Vandy/UCLA as well as the lower half of the T14.

Postby 09042014 » Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:41 am

Stop trying to delay adolescence. You can frat it up in an accounting firm if you want.

Don't even think of lawl school til that undergrad debt is paid off. Should take probably 3 years to do.

TTH

Postby TTH » Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:41 am

Law school isn't worth it for anyone.

Come back when you take the LSAT

AufUru

Postby AufUru » Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:24 am

Last edited by AufUru on Sat Apr 16, 2016 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

paratactical

Postby paratactical » Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:27 am

It would be crazy to not tough it out for a few years at whichever of the 4 you're at. Either you find that you like it and are good at the work and will realize how much more you make for fewer hours worked and you'll go the MBA route or you'll find that you don't like it but you'll have solid WE for your law school applications that will be an asset to your law school applications.

Return to “Law School FAQ”