Application Fee Refund

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
Pricer

Application Fee Refund

Postby Pricer » Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:49 pm

Has anyone ever asked for a refund for an application fee?

I applied to Cornell on 1/31. That same day, I requested a Dean's Certification to be sent from my UG to Cornell. On 3/30, two whole months later, I received an email and a status checker update that said my file had gone from processing to incomplete. I was told they were missing my Dean's Certification. They sent the email after 4:00, and the office closes at 4:30, so I was unable to reach them by phone. I sent an email expressing my concern and my continued interest in Cornell. I explained that it was no fault of mine or my UG, so the error was either with the USPS or Cornell Law. I forwarded them the receipt from my UG saying the certification had been processed and sent, and also had another certification processed and sent the next day. I told them I had deadlines approaching on April 15th and how I was upset that they had waited until the last minute to notify me of their error. They basically told me that's too bad, that they wouldn't be able to get me a decision until the end of April or later, and that it was my fault.

In this situation, do you think I could request a refund and have them trash my application? This was one of the few app fees I paid, and it was definitely the most expensive ($80). Due to approaching deadlines, no chance to visit (was waiting until being admitted), and their lack of interest in me as a prospective student, I have decided to remove Cornell from the equation for next year.

duckmoney

Re: Application Fee Refund

Postby duckmoney » Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:53 pm

They never give refunds. Ever. Especially if they say it was your fault.

Probably the best thing to do is make plans to go elsewhere and treat that application as though you were riding a waitlist. I don't know the terms of your April 15th deadlines but they would probably be OK with that situation.

Also assume you will pay sticker if you do get in, because scholarship funds will be exhausted by that point.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:58 pm

Ask them. Read their email response saying "no." Realize you shouldn't have made a thread on TLS about this.

Pricer

Postby Pricer » Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:59 pm

duckmoney wrote:They never give refunds. Ever. Especially if they say it was your fault.

Probably the best thing to do is make plans to go elsewhere and treat that application as though you were riding a waitlist. I don't know the terms of your April 15th deadlines but they would probably be OK with that situation.

Also assume you will pay sticker if you do get in, because scholarship funds will be exhausted by that point.

Yeah. The only way I would take Cornell over UT is if they matched the total CoA (or at least came close). Right now I'm looking at a ~$110k CoA for UT and a ~$210k CoA for Cornell, so the choice is obvious between those two. The terms of my deadlines are non-binding seat deposits in order to claim my scholarships for UT and UGA (deciding after I visit UT this weekend), so that isn't a huge issue. It just pisses me off the way they handled this. It basically disqualifies me from merit scholarships and a visitation stipend.

Pricer

Postby Pricer » Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:01 pm

bk1 wrote:Ask them. Read their email response saying "no." Realize you shouldn't have made a thread on TLS about this.

Thanks, but if there can be 1000 threads debating whether UT is regional or national because of a one spot move in the rankings, I am pretty sure this thread asking for advice is acceptable.

splitmuch

Postby splitmuch » Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:04 pm

Can't know for sure and the consensus seems like they won't but if you have documentation that its their fault then I think its worth it to ask. After all you don't really care if you piss them off so i fail to see the downside.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:05 pm

splitmuch wrote:Can't know for sure and the consensus seems like they won't but if you have documentation that its their fault then I think its worth it to ask. After all you don't really care if you piss them off so i fail to see the downside.

Not sure I buy the "it's their fault," considering it is your responsibility to make sure everything gets there and you can't prove it is their fault.

But there is no harm in trying.

splitmuch

Postby splitmuch » Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:07 pm

bk1 wrote:
splitmuch wrote:Can't know for sure and the consensus seems like they won't but if you have documentation that its their fault then I think its worth it to ask. After all you don't really care if you piss them off so i fail to see the downside.

Not sure I buy the "it's their fault," considering it is your responsibility to make sure everything gets there and you can't prove it is their fault.

Well I guess I just meant he had a certification that it was sent, so he eliminates 2 of the four possible culpable parties (him/her and the UG). I guess USPS is still possible though.

Pricer

Postby Pricer » Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:10 pm

bk1 wrote:

And it may not even be their fault. It could be the USPS, which is probably why they refuse to accept responsibility. I just know that I had the certification sent and that my UG sent it, so the blame is closer to their end of the line. I didn't bother to call to make sure everything was delivered because I had no problems with the other schools that I sent a certification to, and from everything I have read on TLS and even the Cornell website, they are slow to give decisions. Perhaps this was irresponsible of me, but I still do not appreciate their reaction to the matter.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:18 pm

Pricer wrote:And it may not even be their fault. It could be the USPS, which is probably why they refuse to accept responsibility. I just know that I had the certification sent and that my UG sent it, so the blame is closer to their end of the line. I didn't bother to call to make sure everything was delivered because I had no problems with the other schools that I sent a certification to, and from everything I have read on TLS and even the Cornell website, they are slow to give decisions. Perhaps this was irresponsible of me, but I still do not appreciate their reaction to the matter.

I'm not saying it is your fault. Most of us actually just send stuff on its way to schools and assume it gets there. You are doing what most other applicants have done (myself included), it just happened to screw you. Cornell is pretty slow/awful with the admissions process and they have had some major fuckups (I heard last year they didn't even give some people decisions).

That being said, it is technically the applicant's responsibility to make sure and I don't think Cornell will be lax at all. But as noted above, the worst they can say is no.

zonto

Postby zonto » Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:03 am

I would be grateful that it only cost $80 instead of $200,000 to realize I didn't want to go to the school. :?

Return to “Law School FAQ”