Retake the LSAT? Slightly unconventional circumstances

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
ademska

Retake the LSAT? Slightly unconventional circumstances

Postby ademska » Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:34 pm

Let me preface this post by saying that I'm pretty much dead-set on public interest work upon bar passage, though I'm not naive enough to believe there's no possibility of me changing my mind.

In the interest of full disclosure:
my UGPA =approx 3.4, but my LSDAS GPA = 2.98
The disparity stems from a combination of different grade replacement policies and me having a strong upward trend in grades (if you don't count the first year of UG, I have a 3.7 LSDAS, phwoarrrr). Technically I've got an illness excuse, but in my applications I relegated it to addenda.
FWIW, that GPA will jump to a 3.0-1 after this semester.

In any case, I want to work in Tennessee, and with my terrible GPA my short-term ambitions are not particularly high. I wanted to attend UTK (Vandy as a reach) because, in my situation, even at sticker, it would be comparably pretty cheap. UTK has a brand-spanking-new LRAP and fits all my other rather modest criteria.

So I set out to take the LSAT, didn't take prep anywhere seriously enough but still pre-tested in the mid-160s, showed up test day, had a massive bubble fuckup and scored a blisteringly miserable 159.

Half a year ago I would have gone the seppuku route, but in a haze of denial I dithered about and put in late apps scattershot in my region to the most warm and fuzzy of safeties, not UTK, and gave serious consideration to expensive low TT/high TTTs.

But, whatever, the veil has been lifted--in great to part to you fine folks--and I am not attending the University of goddamn Louisville unless I am paying like five dollars a year.

I'm still waiting on some letters and acceptance/award packets, but it seems I might be better served to bust my ass and get the decent score of which I know I'm capable.

tl;dr, my questions are these:
Does taking a year off to retake the LSAT after actively applying adversely affect one's chances overall?
With my LSDAS GPA and a mid+ 160s LSAT, is UTK a good prospect por moi?
If, in the near future, I receive a letter from one of those yet-outstanding 70-120# schools that make them financially feasible, should I bite the bullet and take the offer?

Schools in profile.
Last edited by ademska on Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

ademska

Re: Retake the LSAT? Slightly unconventional circumstances

Postby ademska » Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:53 pm

Oh, and, uh, I should mention that I only applied to Pizza Hut Schools of Law in geographic regions I would be comfortable working.

Saul Goodman

Postby Saul Goodman » Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:34 pm

Can I ask why you didn't cancel your score if you had a bubble fuckup?

ademska wrote:tl;dr, my questions are these:
Does taking a year off to retake the LSAT after actively applying adversely affect one's chances overall?
With my LSDAS GPA and a mid+ 160s LSAT, is UTK a good prospect por moi?
If, in the near future, I receive a letter from one of those yet-outstanding 70-120# schools that make them financially feasible, should I bite the bullet and take the offer?

1)No
2)Yes
3)No

ademska

Postby ademska » Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:09 am

Combo of factors, all involving personal idiocy:
Thought I'd managed to fix it;
Took the LSAT in Dec (ie too goddamn late) and was terrified about not going to law school in the fall;
Didn't miss a single logic game, thus thought my overall score would be pretty baller.

I was, ah, mistaken. Live and learn. At least TLS has given me perspective in time to not make a far more monumental mistake.

Good to hear tho, thanks--I'm positive about my decision now. And hell, if I manage a particularly excellent score maybe I can justify the app fee for Vandy. Also I had a dream the other day about dinosaurs.

serdog

Postby serdog » Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:54 pm

with an error 159 is NOT a bad LSAT.
That being said if you don't get it a school that you feel give you the right value for your money retake and reapply.

ademska

Postby ademska » Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:02 pm

Thanks. I'm not really a rankings whore at all, but the schools I've gotten into just aren't financially-sound investments (since I applied late and have minimal aid). Since I know I can get a better LSAT and thus get a shot at the cheap in-state pretty well-ranked school (or, alt, maybe a full scholly at the lowers), it just seems a much better option.

It was the worst, tho, I'll tell you what. On the 5th section I bubbled in #6 at #7 and so on so on, caught it about a couple minutes before time. In the whole of human history, no pencil has ever erased faster.

afc1910

Postby afc1910 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:49 pm

Return to “Law School FAQ”