Should a PT student definetely have a job outside of school?

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
LaProfe14

Should a PT student definetely have a job outside of school?

Postby LaProfe14 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:16 am

I'm planning on going to a law school in another state and start as a PT student. I am definitely planning on transferring to Full time after 1L - which means I will be in class over the summer before 2L. I'm wondering how bad it looks to not have at least a PT job somewhere? I know PT programs may only be 1 or 2 classes less than FT, but then won't employers expect you to have excellent grades if you were a PT student and nothing else?

polevaulter

Re: Should a PT student definetely have a job outside of school?

Postby polevaulter » Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:02 am

LaProfe14 wrote:I'm planning on going to a law school in another state and start as a PT student. I am definitely planning on transferring to Full time after 1L - which means I will be in class over the summer before 2L. I'm wondering how bad it looks to not have at least a PT job somewhere? I know PT programs may only be 1 or 2 classes less than FT, but then won't employers expect you to have excellent grades if you were a PT student and nothing else?

If you can afford not to work, then I wouldn't. Just concentrate on doing well and transfering out.

If you need to work, just work a small part-time job and balance that with school.

You will do fine either way. Good luck :)

rdcws000

Postby rdcws000 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:10 am

Why start part time if you plan on going full time?

TommyK

Postby TommyK » Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:29 am

rdcws000 wrote:Why start part time if you plan on going full time?

Schools often admit students with lower numbers to their PT program that they wouldn't admit as FT students.

polevaulter

Postby polevaulter » Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:48 am

TommyK wrote:

Schools often admit students with lower numbers to their PT program that they wouldn't admit as FT students.

+1

This has to do with the US News Rankings

nygrrrl

Postby nygrrrl » Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:05 pm

polevaulter wrote:
TommyK wrote:

+1

This has to do with the US News Rankings

Actually, the USNWR rankings mean that this is changing. As of last year (or the year before?), schools can no longer separate the programs in the rankings, which gives an incentive to make sure the standards are the same for both.

As for OP's question... this seems to be the great debate. I don't know - I think that if you don't have a job and you're in a PT program, you really should be getting top 25% grades: seems like it would be tough to explain to an employer why you couldn't attain that. But I'm hard on myself, that way! I would say about 40% of my school's PT program is not employed, FT. Some have 20hr/wk gigs, things like that - but it's certainly a mix of people with and without jobs.

edit: wow - this is a convoluted response. LOL - at work, on a conference call, while TLS'ing and going over Torts reading!

LockBox

Postby LockBox » Tue Aug 23, 2011 5:05 pm

Hope this isn't tantamount to thread necromancy, but I wanted to address a question along the lines of nygrrrl's comment regarding admission for PT vs FT.

It used to be that the standards for prospective PT students were slightly lower than those for the FT class, but as was noted, this may be changing. Can anyone verify or shed some light on this?

I applied last cycle as FT but willing to accept PT but I don't think that was accounted for. Although reapplying with a slightly higher LSAT, I'm thinking about just applying PT in order to get some sort of edge. Thoughts?

usmcjag

Postby usmcjag » Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:31 pm

Im a PT 1L - I currently work part time - In my opinion it would be stupid to work any more than twenty hours a week while a PT law student. If you work any more than that there is no way that you will have the time to study. Your grades will suffer.
I've heard that a lot of PT students quit their jobs in the spring semester after getting their grades back, I haven't gotten their yet but Ill see.
After one week Im about ready to quit my job. It tough to work and go to school.

If you are balancing the resume weight of good grades and no in school job vs ok grades and a job I would have to say quit your job and study your ass off.

xyzbca

Postby xyzbca » Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:15 am

LaProfe14 wrote:I'm planning on going to a law school in another state and start as a PT student. I am definitely planning on transferring to Full time after 1L - which means I will be in class over the summer before 2L. I'm wondering how bad it looks to not have at least a PT job somewhere? I know PT programs may only be 1 or 2 classes less than FT, but then won't employers expect you to have excellent grades if you were a PT student and nothing else?

1. At OCI you will be competing against PT classmates who work FT. Who do you think will be more attractive to employers?

2. You need to be careful about "transferring" from the PT program to the FT program. Making this move at my school essentially means you'll miss out on OCI and LR (has to do with the credit hours required for both). Talk to somebody at your school before building your LS plans around moving from PT to FT status.

usmcjag wrote: In my opinion it would be stupid to work any more than twenty hours a week while a PT law student. If you work any more than that there is no way that you will have the time to study. Your grades will suffer.

After one week Im about ready to quit my job. It tough to work and go to school.

Your opinion is wrong. I am a 3E, work 50 hours a week, am top 10% + LR at a T1 school. I know at least 3 other PT students in the top 10% on our LR who work FT.

More importantly, I'm stunned that somebody posting under the handle "usmcjag" would display anything other than a can-do attitude.

Speaking from experience, working FT + PT LS is a walk in the park compared to what it takes to make it through 10 weeks of Quantico. If one week of LS is making you want to quit your job you may wish to reconsider this whole usmcjag thing....

Return to “Law School FAQ”