First Year: Who to live with?

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
LoyalRebel
Posts: 193
Joined: Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:20 pm

First Year: Who to live with?

Postby LoyalRebel » Sun Apr 03, 2011 1:04 pm

I'll be starting my first year of LS this fall and I'm starting to think about living space. I need somewhere cheap, quiet, and near the school. This obviously requires a roommate or two, but I'm a little nervous about potluck roommates. If I'm going to study hard and get to bed at a decent hour, I'd rather not take my chances with a couple of randos.

What's everyone else doing? Living by yourself?

User avatar
northwood
Posts: 4872
Joined: Fri May 14, 2010 7:29 pm

Re: First Year: Who to live with?

Postby northwood » Sun Apr 03, 2011 1:07 pm

im living alone. I had roomates while in undergrad- but once i got my own place- i will do whatever it takes not to have to have them again.

User avatar
joemoviebuff
Posts: 788
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:51 am

Re: First Year: Who to live with?

Postby joemoviebuff » Sun Apr 03, 2011 1:08 pm

LoyalRebel wrote:I'll be starting my first year of LS this fall and I'm starting to think about living space. I need somewhere cheap, quiet, and near the school. This obviously requires a roommate or two, but I'm a little nervous about potluck roommates. If I'm going to study hard and get to bed at a decent hour, I'd rather not take my chances with a couple of randos.

What's everyone else doing? Living by yourself?


Go on your law school's facebook page and start a Housing thread under the Discussions tab. Put what you're looking for, and people will get in touch with you.

lhlee
Posts: 115
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2010 3:59 am

Re: First Year: Who to live with?

Postby lhlee » Sun Apr 03, 2011 1:11 pm

I asked around with some of my friends currently in law school, and also looked through some threads on TLS. It seems that living by yourself is the best bet (unless you find a roommate that you know you will get along with). You won't want to deal with roommates who are loud and annoying.

With that said, if you do need a roommate...get a med student. They might be studying more or be in the apt less often than law students. Unless you get the crazy ones.

ran12
Posts: 1003
Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2010 4:28 pm

Re: First Year: Who to live with?

Postby ran12 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:42 pm

Living alone is probably the best thing to do. 1L is too important to have to deal with annoying roommates. Even living with people you've known a long time can be a problem. Right now I'm living with a friend I've known since we've been kids and a random dude. I hate the random kid with a passion and my friend can also be pretty annoying without meaning to be.

If you really have to live with a roommate, consider finding a 2L or 3L to live with. I've seen threads with 2L and 3L who are looking for 1L roommates and they can be good mentors.

bloobook
Posts: 117
Joined: Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:23 pm

.

Postby bloobook » Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:47 am

.
Last edited by bloobook on Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JOThompson
Posts: 1311
Joined: Sun Aug 02, 2009 3:16 am

Re: First Year: Who to live with?

Postby JOThompson » Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:53 am

LoyalRebel wrote:I'll be starting my first year of LS this fall and I'm starting to think about living space. I need somewhere cheap, quiet, and near the school. This obviously requires a roommate or two, but I'm a little nervous about potluck roommates. If I'm going to study hard and get to bed at a decent hour, I'd rather not take my chances with a couple of randos.

What's everyone else doing? Living by yourself?

I chose to live alone and it was a great choice even though it was financially burdensome. 1L grades are too crucial to risk having distracting roommates.

User avatar
paratactical
Posts: 5961
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:06 pm

Re: First Year: Who to live with?

Postby paratactical » Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:54 am

Live alone. Wouldn't want to end up like this guy.

User avatar
LettuceBeefRealTea
Posts: 48
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2011 12:06 pm

Re: First Year: Who to live with?

Postby LettuceBeefRealTea » Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:32 pm

paratactical wrote:Live alone. Wouldn't want to end up like this guy.



i'll fuck pregnant chicks? brb criagslist housing.

User avatar
Alex-Trof
Posts: 528
Joined: Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:42 am

Re: First Year: Who to live with?

Postby Alex-Trof » Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:35 pm

LettuceBeefRealTea wrote:
paratactical wrote:Live alone. Wouldn't want to end up like this guy.



i'll fuck pregnant chicks? brb criagslist housing.

I am thinking about buying a new phone on craigslist. Reading these comments makes me wonder where that phone had been.

User avatar
stratocophic
Posts: 2207
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:24 pm

Re: First Year: Who to live with?

Postby stratocophic » Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:44 pm

Alex-Trof wrote:
LettuceBeefRealTea wrote:
paratactical wrote:Live alone. Wouldn't want to end up like this guy.



i'll fuck pregnant chicks? brb criagslist housing.

I am thinking about buying a new phone on craigslist. Reading these comments makes me wonder where that phone had been.
You know where it's been, you just won't admit it to yourself

User avatar
northwood
Posts: 4872
Joined: Fri May 14, 2010 7:29 pm

Re: First Year: Who to live with?

Postby northwood » Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:48 pm

if its a gdane owned phone- it must be allright.

biggidy biggidty

LockBox
Posts: 268
Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:05 pm

Re: First Year: Who to live with?

Postby LockBox » Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:16 pm

lhlee wrote:I asked around with some of my friends currently in law school, and also looked through some threads on TLS. It seems that living by yourself is the best bet (unless you find a roommate that you know you will get along with). You won't want to deal with roommates who are loud and annoying.

With that said, if you do need a roommate...get a med student. They might be studying more or be in the apt less often than law students. Unless you get the crazy ones.


I'd like to hear more




Return to “Law School FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest