First Year: Who to live with?

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
LoyalRebel

First Year: Who to live with?

Postby LoyalRebel » Sun Apr 03, 2011 1:04 pm

I'll be starting my first year of LS this fall and I'm starting to think about living space. I need somewhere cheap, quiet, and near the school. This obviously requires a roommate or two, but I'm a little nervous about potluck roommates. If I'm going to study hard and get to bed at a decent hour, I'd rather not take my chances with a couple of randos.

What's everyone else doing? Living by yourself?

northwood

Re: First Year: Who to live with?

Postby northwood » Sun Apr 03, 2011 1:07 pm

im living alone. I had roomates while in undergrad- but once i got my own place- i will do whatever it takes not to have to have them again.

joemoviebuff

Postby joemoviebuff » Sun Apr 03, 2011 1:08 pm

LoyalRebel wrote:I'll be starting my first year of LS this fall and I'm starting to think about living space. I need somewhere cheap, quiet, and near the school. This obviously requires a roommate or two, but I'm a little nervous about potluck roommates. If I'm going to study hard and get to bed at a decent hour, I'd rather not take my chances with a couple of randos.

Go on your law school's facebook page and start a Housing thread under the Discussions tab. Put what you're looking for, and people will get in touch with you.

lhlee

Postby lhlee » Sun Apr 03, 2011 1:11 pm

I asked around with some of my friends currently in law school, and also looked through some threads on TLS. It seems that living by yourself is the best bet (unless you find a roommate that you know you will get along with). You won't want to deal with roommates who are loud and annoying.

With that said, if you do need a roommate...get a med student. They might be studying more or be in the apt less often than law students. Unless you get the crazy ones.

ran12

Postby ran12 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:42 pm

Living alone is probably the best thing to do. 1L is too important to have to deal with annoying roommates. Even living with people you've known a long time can be a problem. Right now I'm living with a friend I've known since we've been kids and a random dude. I hate the random kid with a passion and my friend can also be pretty annoying without meaning to be.

If you really have to live with a roommate, consider finding a 2L or 3L to live with. I've seen threads with 2L and 3L who are looking for 1L roommates and they can be good mentors.

bloobook

Postby bloobook » Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:47 am

Last edited by bloobook on Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JOThompson

Postby JOThompson » Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:53 am

LoyalRebel wrote:I'll be starting my first year of LS this fall and I'm starting to think about living space. I need somewhere cheap, quiet, and near the school. This obviously requires a roommate or two, but I'm a little nervous about potluck roommates. If I'm going to study hard and get to bed at a decent hour, I'd rather not take my chances with a couple of randos.

I chose to live alone and it was a great choice even though it was financially burdensome. 1L grades are too crucial to risk having distracting roommates.

paratactical

Postby paratactical » Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:54 am

Live alone. Wouldn't want to end up like this guy.

LettuceBeefRealTea

Postby LettuceBeefRealTea » Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:32 pm

paratactical wrote:Live alone. Wouldn't want to end up like this guy.

i'll fuck pregnant chicks? brb criagslist housing.

Alex-Trof

Postby Alex-Trof » Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:35 pm

LettuceBeefRealTea wrote:

I am thinking about buying a new phone on craigslist. Reading these comments makes me wonder where that phone had been.

stratocophic

Postby stratocophic » Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:44 pm

Alex-Trof wrote:
LettuceBeefRealTea wrote:

I am thinking about buying a new phone on craigslist. Reading these comments makes me wonder where that phone had been.
You know where it's been, you just won't admit it to yourself

northwood

Postby northwood » Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:48 pm

if its a gdane owned phone- it must be allright.

biggidy biggidty

LockBox

Postby LockBox » Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:16 pm

lhlee wrote:I asked around with some of my friends currently in law school, and also looked through some threads on TLS. It seems that living by yourself is the best bet (unless you find a roommate that you know you will get along with). You won't want to deal with roommates who are loud and annoying.

With that said, if you do need a roommate...get a med student. They might be studying more or be in the apt less often than law students. Unless you get the crazy ones.

I'd like to hear more

Return to “Law School FAQ”