Crappy cycle- any help is appreciated Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
redlighter

New

Crappy cycle- any help is appreciated

Post by redlighter » Sun Apr 03, 2011 1:23 am

My numbers are 3.37/146. I'm currently attending University of South Florida in Tampa, and I threw applications to Stetson (denial), Ave Maria (denial), Barry (pending), and Florida A&M (pending). I'm caught up in an obviously vicious cycle because, despite two attempts at this bugbear of an exam (the LSAT), I only increased my score from a 137 to a 146. I understand this severely limits my options, and even with a transfer prospect into Stetson at some point, I'd still have to place in the top 10% of my first year class to even be eligible. I incurred 3 semesters + of withdrawals on my transcript for medical reasons and forwarded the documentation to the schools, but I'm not sure why such a low-tiered school as Ave Maria would ding me within a period of two and a half weeks (I went complete March 15), ding came April 1.

All in all, this is immensely frustrating. Schools opine absolutely no reasons for rejections others than a standard "go fuck yourself" form letter, and I can't gauge whether it is my low LSAT, my personal statements, or my excessive W's that are leading to such automatic dings. Law School Numbers statistics show Ave Maria has taken lower LSAT's than mine. I just don't understand where I'm going wrong. If these shools all deny me for this cycle, is it a new process to apply for Fall 2012 admision? I'm definitely going to be exploring an LSAT retake option, because the outside possibility still exists of petitioning Stetson over the summer with an improved LSAT, but overall, these successive rejections are turning into hard pills to swallow. I don't presume to measure up to people who are qualifying for T-14's; I just want to find my niche in this field and succeed? What it comes down to is a series of questions:

redlighter

New

Re: Crappy cycle- any help is appreciated

Post by redlighter » Sun Apr 03, 2011 1:26 am

1.) If schools claim their decisions are final, is an application in a new cycle, i.e. 2012 a renewal of the process completely, i.e. can I raise my LSAT on my third attempt in June, and partake in new rounds of applications at these schools for Fall 2012?

2.) Why am I clunking so fast at T-4's when they've clearly taken lower LSAT's? What aspect of my application most likely is suffering?

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Sun Apr 03, 2011 1:28 am

redlighter wrote:My numbers are 3.37/146. I'm currently attending University of South Florida in Tampa, and I threw applications to Stetson (denial), Ave Maria (denial), Barry (pending), and Florida A&M (pending). I'm caught up in an obviously vicious cycle because, despite two attempts at this bugbear of an exam (the LSAT), I only increased my score from a 137 to a 146. I understand this severely limits my options, and even with a transfer prospect into Stetson at some point, I'd still have to place in the top 10% of my first year class to even be eligible. I incurred 3 semesters + of withdrawals on my transcript for medical reasons and forwarded the documentation to the schools, but I'm not sure why such a low-tiered school as Ave Maria would ding me within a period of two and a half weeks (I went complete March 15), ding came April 1.

All in all, this is immensely frustrating. Schools opine absolutely no reasons for rejections others than a standard "go fuck yourself" form letter, and I can't gauge whether it is my low LSAT, my personal statements, or my excessive W's that are leading to such automatic dings. Law School Numbers statistics show Ave Maria has taken lower LSAT's than mine. I just don't understand where I'm going wrong. If these shools all deny me for this cycle, is it a new process to apply for Fall 2012 admision? I'm definitely going to be exploring an LSAT retake option, because the outside possibility still exists of petitioning Stetson over the summer with an improved LSAT, but overall, these successive rejections are turning into hard pills to swallow. I don't presume to measure up to people who are qualifying for T-14's; I just want to find my niche in this field and succeed? What it comes down to is a series of questions:
If you REALLY want to get into law, I would take a few years off. Maybe get a job with your UG degree and put some SERIOUS study time into the LSAT. Like, 2 years+. Any school you could get into right now isn't worth the $$. Not trying to be an ass at all, but thats seriously the best thing to do. (USF grad here :) )

dpk711

Silver

Post by dpk711 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 1:30 am

I would retake and reapply.

gbpackerbacker

Silver

Post by gbpackerbacker » Sun Apr 03, 2011 1:31 am

those denials are a blessing in disguise.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

redlighter

New

Post by redlighter » Sun Apr 03, 2011 1:35 am

The endgame here is Stetson, I hope. I know transfer prospects are tenuous at best, but if I can raise my LSAT to 155 in June, the petition MAY have a chance of going through.

sanjola

Bronze

Post by sanjola » Sun Apr 03, 2011 1:38 am

redlighter wrote:My numbers are 3.37/146. I'm currently attending University of South Florida in Tampa, and I threw applications to Stetson (denial), Ave Maria (denial), Barry (pending), and Florida A&M (pending). I'm caught up in an obviously vicious cycle because, despite two attempts at this bugbear of an exam (the LSAT), I only increased my score from a 137 to a 146. I understand this severely limits my options, and even with a transfer prospect into Stetson at some point, I'd still have to place in the top 10% of my first year class to even be eligible. I incurred 3 semesters + of withdrawals on my transcript for medical reasons and forwarded the documentation to the schools, but I'm not sure why such a low-tiered school as Ave Maria would ding me within a period of two and a half weeks (I went complete March 15), ding came April 1.

If you're getting denied at Ave Marie, then all signs point to "retake".

LoyalRebel

Bronze

Post by LoyalRebel » Sun Apr 03, 2011 1:43 am

When I first got on this site, I got annoyed at all the hotshot Harvard types telling me my LSAT sucked even though it was well above average. Now I find myself doing the same thing: Get that LSAT up.

Since you don't have a horrible GPA, I'm going to assume that you're simply not wired to think the way the LSAT requires you to think, rather than in the bottom 50 percentile of the population in terms of cognitive ability. This can be remedied, though. I would suggest getting LSAT books (which I'm sure you already have) and spending more time focusing reading the actual material which explains how problems are structured and solved, and less on actual practice problems (but spend plenty of time on that too).

If I'm being bluntly honest, I'd say your options are pretty bad without at least a 150 and half the people here will tell you that you need at least a 165 to have a successful law career (which I tend to disagree with).

If you do get into a law school this year, consider it carefully. Check out the numbers and make sure you think you'll get a good return on your investment.

thecilent

Gold

Post by thecilent » Sun Apr 03, 2011 1:49 am

This has horrible, unemployed, debt-filled life written all over it. Don't do it OP. Just get into another field. Law is not that fun anyway from what I hear

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

redlighter

New

Post by redlighter » Sun Apr 03, 2011 1:57 am

I'm definitely appreciative that constructive criticism is being offered without a side of insults. This type of feedback is corroborating my decision to re-take in June, though I wonder if Fall 2011 is too premature and that I might require more independent study. I'm also going to look into graduate programs at USF, i.e. poly sci, as alternative career possibilities, and even if one of the Orlando schools take me, I may not throw money into a snake pit. But, as I said, I know it's tempting to be critical, but I will always show respect to every member on this forum, and though you are not obligated to reciprocate, I nonetheless appreciate it :wink:

thecilent

Gold

Post by thecilent » Sun Apr 03, 2011 1:59 am

Stop worrying so much about people respecting you. Who cares. Just take the advice.

rocon7383

Bronze

Post by rocon7383 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 2:01 am

June is not that far off. I would start studying now for October not june. Seriously, immerse yourself in the LSAT for the next 6 months. This is your career. Invest in increasing your score exponentially. If you pull off a 15-20 point increase through hard work, you will either save yourself $100,000 or make it into a school that wouldn't look at you today. IMO the decision is clear. Retake in October, which will still leave you time to have your apps sent in by early next november. Don't bumble and stumble into the June test, its too soon, and you cant improve enough.

redlighter

New

Post by redlighter » Sun Apr 03, 2011 2:02 am

That's fine. I'm just acknowledging that it's tempting to look at my original post and cast aspersions at it, that's all.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

paulinaporizkova

Gold

Post by paulinaporizkova » Sun Apr 03, 2011 2:04 am

redlighter wrote:I'm definitely appreciative that constructive criticism is being offered without a side of insults. This type of feedback is corroborating my decision to re-take in June, though I wonder if Fall 2011 is too premature and that I might require more independent study. I'm also going to look into graduate programs at USF, i.e. poly sci, as alternative career possibilities, and even if one of the Orlando schools take me, I may not throw money into a snake pit. But, as I said, I know it's tempting to be critical, but I will always show respect to every member on this forum, and though you are not obligated to reciprocate, I nonetheless appreciate it :wink:

this might be true, but only if your post count stays under 50

FiveSermon

Gold

Post by FiveSermon » Sun Apr 03, 2011 2:06 am

gbpackerbacker wrote:those denials are a blessing in disguise.

paulinaporizkova

Gold

Post by paulinaporizkova » Sun Apr 03, 2011 2:08 am

redlighter wrote:That's fine. I'm just acknowledging that it's tempting to look at my original post and cast aspersions at it, that's all.
dude are you sure you wanna go to LS?

rocon7383

Bronze

Post by rocon7383 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 2:13 am

redlighter wrote:That's fine. I'm just acknowledging that it's tempting to look at my original post and cast aspersions at it, that's all.
haha.. aspersions..

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

LoyalRebel

Bronze

Post by LoyalRebel » Sun Apr 03, 2011 2:20 am

You're all vultures.

redlighter

New

Post by redlighter » Sun Apr 03, 2011 2:21 am

Well, I do make myself vulnerable by decrying such shitty numbers to you guys, but I needed solid peer advice, so there it is. And I do consider the advice largely helpful; you all make a convincing argument that I should probably consider a hiatus after graduation and try my hand at apps for '12.

dr123

Gold

Post by dr123 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 2:22 am

start studying for the june lsat now, like right now, seriously.

redlighter

New

Post by redlighter » Sun Apr 03, 2011 2:23 am

LoyalRebel wrote:You're all vultures.
Yeah, there's a distinct problem if the sole indicator of intellectual worth is if someone makes a high score on this test or not.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

LoyalRebel

Bronze

Post by LoyalRebel » Sun Apr 03, 2011 2:34 am

The "you'll never measure up to me; you might as well just quit" speech is to be expected. You just gotta man up and go take what's yours. Honestly, a lot of the high scorers out there probably socially awkward, have tons of family money, and have never had to deal with any real conflict before in their lives. I think if you're a wuss you're not going to get far no matter how good your numbers are.

redlighter

New

Post by redlighter » Sun Apr 03, 2011 2:36 am

Okay, that's fine. I already knew my score was worth the equivalent of a Maxi pad. I just needed to know how to approach the timing of a re-take and whether I could re-apply to denied schools in a new cycle.

rocon7383

Bronze

Post by rocon7383 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 2:37 am

redlighter wrote:
Yeah, there's a distinct problem if the sole indicator of intellectual worth is if someone makes a high score on this test or not.
Law schools determine your worth based on your lsat number and gpa number. We're not determining your worth- they are. Its the way it is. No one said they wouldn't want to have a beer with you.

redlighter

New

Post by redlighter » Sun Apr 03, 2011 2:39 am

rocon7383 wrote:
redlighter wrote:
Law schools determine your worth based on your lsat number and gpa number. We're not determining your worth- they are. Its the way it is. No one said they wouldn't want to have a beer with you.
I know, the idea is either conform to the system or one gets left behind. I don't agree with it, but I either raise my score, or I incur lots of lovely non-dischargeable debt with no job.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”