Best NYC Undergrad school as a pre-Law School? Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
mekovi

New

Best NYC Undergrad school as a pre-Law School?

Post by mekovi » Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:17 pm

I graduated from high school in 2009. I had a fairly decent grade average (82+) and my SAT total was 1760 (590 Reading, 600 Math, 570 Writing) without any form of deliberate preparation whatsoever. Nothing to write home about, I know. Personally, I think I was a good but very inconsistent student. Lazy, Procrastinator, Non-Ambitious. You could put any of those tags on me. I applied to several schools with Architecture as the major of my choice. I got admitted into New York Institute of Technology with the "T.K. Steele Scholarship", which wasn't the top scholarship they had to offer, but the second best, as they said. It, along with Financial Aid covered all the cost, save about a 1000 dollars. As December 2009 approached, I abandoned everything. I received no credit and all my grades said "Withdraw Fail". I left the country. If you're curious, I'll tell you why on PM. No one was to blame but myself, however.

Since then I haven't been to college and it took me these two years to get back on track. Without saying anything dramatic, I'll simply state that it's my intention to go for a top law school eventually. It's a friggin hard path, I know. I can only hope you'll be sympathetic in your tone.

Now, the question to you good, kind people is that, which is the best New York City undergrad school that I have the best chance of getting into, with my record? The more favored it is by top law schools, the better. What hard courses and soft ones should I take? What kind of volunteer work and extra-curricular activities should be on my radar?

You can't imagine how much I'll appreciate a considerate and helpful answer. Thank you.
Last edited by mekovi on Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dissonance1848

Silver

Re: Best NYC Undergrad school as a pre-Law School?

Post by dissonance1848 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:18 pm

Sounds like flame, given 1 post count.

If not, go and do whatever gets you as close to a 4.0 average as possible, that simple.

Schools look at GPA/LSAT. Everything else is marginal at best (unless you are an African American URM, which is a huge boost).

You can crack open Barron's, Princeton Review and USNWS. Don't see why you couldn't extrapolate from those.

Like I said, undergrad school is irrelevant, unless you do HYP, or engineering, which are marginal softs (like less than .05 GPA points).
Last edited by dissonance1848 on Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mekovi

New

Post by mekovi » Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:21 pm

dissonance1848 wrote:Sounds like flame, given 1 post count.

If not, go and do whatever gets you as close to a 4.0 average as possible, that simple.

Schools look at GPA/LSAT. Everything else is marginal at best (unless you are an African American URM, which is a huge boost).
Not at all. I intend to be a regular poster. The question was just too urgent to dally on.

Thanks for the helpful information anyway :D

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:22 pm

Just keep your costs low and for law school it doesn't matter where you go. Your major doesn't really matter either. So pick something you can do well at, and do well.

That semester of WF's will fuck your GPA, so you need 4.0 from here on out.

Law school admission is 90% LSAT + GPA. However, most people can't score well enough on the LSAT to go to a top school. So maybe you shouldn't plan your life on law school unless you get a good LSAT score. So maybe take a program that can get you a real career if law doesn't work out.

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:22 pm

if you want to get into the best law school- then you need to focus on your grades and your lsat( but right now focus on grades- and dont worry about your lsat until the end of college- like junior or senior year). As for getting into college- you may consider going to a community college for a biit- and starying there for a year or so. Then go to whatever college you like- and go for a degree in whatever you like. THe main thing is to keep your debts low as possible, and your gpa as high as possible. Choose a field taht is interesting to you. YOu may change your mind between now and then as to if law school is in the picture- but the better grades you have- the more options you keep open. Same for debt- the less you have, the better off you will be. Not a lot of people on here can asnwer what NYC undergrad you have the best shot at getting into- but contact schools that are of interest to you. Make sure you take care of any unfinished business at your old school- and go from there.

best of luck

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

kehoema2

Bronze

Post by kehoema2 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:32 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Just keep your costs low and for law school it doesn't matter where you go. Your major doesn't really matter either. So pick something you can do well at, and do well.

That semester of WF's will fuck your GPA, so you need 4.0 from here on out.

Law school admission is 90% LSAT + GPA. However, most people can't score well enough on the LSAT to go to a top school. So maybe you shouldn't plan your life on law school unless you get a good LSAT score. So maybe take a program that can get you a real career if law doesn't work out.
I'd follow that. I mean ideally, you will still like whatever program that is, but graduating with a degree that you realize gets 0 jobs is a pretty shitty feeling. I'm fortunate enough to have a nice scholarship at a T30 school but I'd say 90% of that scholarship was due to my LSAT and the remaining 10% due to my GPA.

BigBlueLaw

Silver

Post by BigBlueLaw » Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:36 pm

Keep it cheap. CUNY all the way. Go for an easy major and keep that gpa nice and high.

mekovi

New

Post by mekovi » Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:24 pm

BigBlueLaw wrote:Keep it cheap. CUNY all the way. Go for an easy major and keep that gpa nice and high.
I've read in several places that easy majors are frowned upon? I was under the impression that you had to take a hard major, especially ones that has a lot of writing in them?

soj

Platinum

Post by soj » Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:00 pm

mekovi wrote:
BigBlueLaw wrote:Keep it cheap. CUNY all the way. Go for an easy major and keep that gpa nice and high.
I've read in several places that easy majors are frowned upon? I was under the impression that you had to take a hard major, especially ones that has a lot of writing in them?
No. Whatever marginal benefit of having completed a tough major is outweighed by the lower GPA. There might be exceptions for really rigorous engineering programs, but even then the boost is small and you're just better off getting the higher GPA in basket-weaving.

Also, a lot of times, the majors with lots of writing (e.g. English, poli sci) are the easy ones.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

FiveSermon

Gold

Post by FiveSermon » Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:43 pm

Dropout from NYIT lmfao this must be a flame.

ahduth

Gold

Post by ahduth » Sat Apr 02, 2011 2:51 pm

What's college?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”