Would Appreciate Advice on Several Schools Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
Jewssye

New

Would Appreciate Advice on Several Schools

Post by Jewssye » Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:34 am

I was hoping people would be willing to give me information/their opinions on some of the schools that I applied to. I have only been accepted into three so far, but would really appreciate any information on any of the schools, so I know what I am getting myself into as some of the schools, I've been reading, I shouldn't even bother if I do get accepted into them.

I made a 152 on the LSAT and have a 3.69 GPA if that even matters for this discussion.

I was recently accepted into:
New Hampshire: No scholarship
Oklahoma City University: Scholarship of $18,000
Phoenix School of Law: Scholarship of $12,000

I'm still waiting to hear from:
Chicago-Kent
McGeorge
Golden Gate
Whittier

And the two places that are long shots, but are my top choices:
University of Houston
Arizona State

After reading through some of the topics on several of the forums, I'm figuring if I don't get into Houston or ASU (which I most likely will not) I'll take a year off and retake the LSAT. I may be stressing myself out more than I should be, though, and overreacting, which is why I am hoping for some sound advice and honest opinions.

If you can help me out, thanks so much! (:

rinkrat19

Diamond

Re: Would Appreciate Advice on Several Schools

Post by rinkrat19 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:50 am

You're not going to get anyone saying anything nice about most of those schools. Retaking is a really good idea, especially since you have a decent GPA.

167 and you have a chance at the lower T14, and a damn good shot at T20.

How did you prep for the LSAT the first time?

3ThrowAway99

Gold

Post by 3ThrowAway99 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:52 am

Retaking is probably a good option, but if you get Chicago-Kent and don't mind living in IL after school I think that is a pretty decent school (though without scholly it may be pretty risky). It really is going to be a matter of where you want to practice after law school with any of these 'regional' or lower tier schools. That even applies to U Houston and ASU to a considerable degree, but obviously those are pretty solid schools compared to the others. I don't know that any of the options you have would necessarily end up being a terrible choice (though I'm sure many on here would say so), but it is important to realize the type of risk you are taking going to a school like Phoenix College of Law- you may well not be able to get a job as a practicing lawyer after graduating as far as I can tell. On the other hand, you can sit for the bar and will probably have a pretty good shot at passing it (based on their reported AZ passage rates), so if you want to be in Phoenix it may not end up being a terrible option. ASU or U of AZ would both be WAY better though (I think this is true academically, reputationally, employment prospect-wise, and the quality of the student bodies).

TL;DR version: yes, retaking is probably a good idea IMO.

Jewssye

New

Post by Jewssye » Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:57 am

rinkrat19 wrote:You're not going to get anyone saying anything nice about most of those schools. Retaking is a really good idea, especially since you have a decent GPA.

I prepped with a class over the summer and had bought those LSAT Bible Books, but once school rolled around, I ended up not being able to find the time to study for the LSAT, keep my grades up, and work. It was a mistake on my part (obviously), but so was deciding to go to law school the summer before senior year. :/

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:37 am

Jewssye wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:You're not going to get anyone saying anything nice about most of those schools. Retaking is a really good idea, especially since you have a decent GPA.

I prepped with a class over the summer and had bought those LSAT Bible Books, but once school rolled around, I ended up not being able to find the time to study for the LSAT, keep my grades up, and work. It was a mistake on my part (obviously), but so was deciding to go to law school the summer before senior year. :/
It sounds like you have by no means maxed out your potential on the LSAT, which only strengthens my opinion that retaking is likely the best choice. It might be different if you'd religiously followed a study plan and still plateaued at 152 after months and months of work.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

FeelTheHeat

Platinum

Post by FeelTheHeat » Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:41 am

You will likely have no greater chance to affect the rest of your life with less than retaking this test and getting a 160+. That is a damn good GPA that I would hate to see go to waste.

Jewssye

New

Post by Jewssye » Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:01 am

If I attended New Hampshire for a year, could transferring be an option? I'm not sure how often people transfer, although I have heard that transferring isn't all that common for law students.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:14 am

Jewssye wrote:If I attended New Hampshire for a year, could transferring be an option? I'm not sure how often people transfer, although I have heard that transferring isn't all that common for law students.
Do not go to a school planning to transfer. Transferring is not common, and pretty much requires stellar grades (depending on where you're trying to transfer to.)
http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 27&t=82937

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:38 am

Hate to break it to you OP, but the answer is definitely none of the above. Either retake/reapply, or don't go to law school. You'd be doing yourself a major disservice at any of these schools.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ademska

New

Post by ademska » Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:55 am

I made the decision today to retake, and it is possibly the best decision I will ever make in my life. ASU is a good choice, especially for its region and its lax residence policies, but unless you raise your score a very feasible 6+ pts you've pretty much got no shot.

I'd kill for your gpa, bro; don't waste that shit on TTTTTT Phoenix.

bellamy

New

Post by bellamy » Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:59 am

ademska wrote:I made the decision today to retake, and it is possibly the best decision I will ever make in my life. ASU is a good choice, especially for its region and its lax residence policies, but unless you raise your score a very feasible 6+ pts you've pretty much got no shot.

I'd kill for your gpa, bro; don't waste that shit on TTTTTT Phoenix.
The advice you have received is excellant. Even ASU is a toss up in this market. I had lunch with a ASU 3L who has a job with a mid sized firm in Phx for which he had clerked part time for several years.He told me that 10% or less of the class had job offers as of today .He expected another 15-20% would get offers from smaller firms after they passed the bar. I personally know a 2L at TTTTT Phoenix . She is a policewoman who is going there because they have a part time program.If she had other options she would never chose to go there and she tells me she has little expectation of getting a job when she gets through, Don't go if you cann't get $ from ASU.There is a substantial risk you will spend 3 years of your life and $100,000 or more and end up with a job that won't pay your student loans. I know the Phx market and decent jobs for grads from the schools you mentioned don't generally exist. Good luck. Actually luck has nothing to do with it! Be wise and listen to those who have actual experience

nshapkar

Gold

Post by nshapkar » Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:00 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
Jewssye wrote:

It sounds like you have by no means maxed out your potential on the LSAT, which only strengthens my opinion that retaking is likely the best choice. It might be different if you'd religiously followed a study plan and still plateaued at 152 after months and months of work.
+1

nshapkar

Gold

Post by nshapkar » Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:02 pm

romothesavior wrote:Hate to break it to you OP, but the answer is definitely none of the above. Either retake/reapply, or don't go to law school. You'd be doing yourself a major disservice at any of these schools.

ASU isn't bad if you want to work in Arizona and it's tuition for in state isn't too steep.I remember my freshman year (2007) it was 14k, it has gone up quite rapidly since then (21k now), but is still relatively cheap compared to many other schools.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

david787

Bronze

Post by david787 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:17 pm

I see no downside in retaking given your strong GPA. If you had a low GPA and good LSAT then you're stuck, but your weaker stat is the one you can change.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:29 pm

Chicago-Kent, Houston & ASU are worth attending if admitted.

Magnolia

Silver

Post by Magnolia » Thu Apr 07, 2011 5:06 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
Jewssye wrote:

+1000

None of the schools on your list are a good idea at sticker. However, if you can raise your LSAT (and it sounds like that's entirely possible for you) then you could get into schools much better schools. You could maybe even get money from ASU and Houston. With a scholarship, those aren't bad options, provided you're willing to work in those areas. The chance for better schools and scholarships is definitely worth the extra year. If you don't get a better LSAT score, just send out your apps super early. Worst case scenario is you're in at the same schools again next year. At least then you'll know you did everything you could to maximize your chances of getting a job and minimizing your debt.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Ask a Law Student”