Professor Recommendations?

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
GotKazan

Professor Recommendations?

Postby GotKazan » Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:50 pm

I'm in a bind. I'm a psychology major and I just recently started researching what I'll really need when it comes to applying to law school. I've always enjoyed my classes and have never had any trouble with the material, therefore I've never seen a need to go in for office hours. I go to ASU where there are at least 100 students per class, so building a close relationship with any professor or letting them get to really know you is difficult. I know that typically schools require at least one professor recommendation. I'd like to start getting my applications in as soon as they are being accepted this fall. What's a good way to go about getting a good recommendation? :?

Alex-Trof

Re: Professor Recommendations?

Postby Alex-Trof » Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:54 pm

Pricer

Postby Pricer » Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:23 pm

GotKazan wrote:I'm in a bind. I'm a psychology major and I just recently started researching what I'll really need when it comes to applying to law school. I've always enjoyed my classes and have never had any trouble with the material, therefore I've never seen a need to go in for office hours. I go to ASU where there are at least 100 students per class, so building a close relationship with any professor or letting them get to really know you is difficult. I know that typically schools require at least one professor recommendation. I'd like to start getting my applications in as soon as they are being accepted this fall. What's a good way to go about getting a good recommendation? :?

I went to a professor I had for two major classes. He didn't really know me, but he remembered my name/face. I showed him some of the old work I had done in his classes, showed him my grades in his classes (A-, A), and he was happy to write one for me.

GotKazan

Postby GotKazan » Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:31 pm

Awesome, that makes me feel so much better. Thanks!

zonto

Postby zonto » Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:44 pm

With that type of scenario, make sure you follow the guidance of the article posted earlier. You might want to specifically ask for certain things in the letter, otherwise it could end up to your detriment being vague and generic.

sarahlawg

Postby sarahlawg » Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:38 pm

one step is understanding that you don't just go to professors for help in the class. it's all about the networking baby.

alexonfyre

Postby alexonfyre » Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:03 am

sarahlawg wrote:one step is understanding that you don't just go to professors for help in the class. it's all about the networking baby.

Seriously get a smart friend and just straight up ask a professor to grab a drink some time to discuss the material. Then talk about bullshit when you get there. i have two very strong LORs coming in from exactly that.

Pricer

Postby Pricer » Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:58 pm

alexonfyre wrote:
sarahlawg wrote:one step is understanding that you don't just go to professors for help in the class. it's all about the networking baby.

Seriously get a smart friend and just straight up ask a professor to grab a drink some time to discuss the material. Then talk about bullshit when you get there. i have two very strong LORs coming in from exactly that.

I didn't understand that in undergrad until it was too late. I plan on being better at this in law school. I thought that the only reason people went to the professor was because they were struggling. Later I realized that the people struggling kept struggling, and it was the people already at the top that were always chatting it up with the professors.

typ3

Postby typ3 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:25 pm

I used two TA's/PHD students for my recommendations. One holds a JD. I guess the only school that didn't like me or the letters was Harvard. Quality of Letter > Title of the person writing it.

sarahlawg

Postby sarahlawg » Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:26 pm

Pricer wrote:
alexonfyre wrote:

I didn't understand that in undergrad until it was too late. I plan on being better at this in law school. I thought that the only reason people went to the professor was because they were struggling. Later I realized that the people struggling kept struggling, and it was the people already at the top that were always chatting it up with the professors.

yep. this would be my biggest advice to undergrads.

Return to “Law School FAQ”