Seat Deposti before you recieve fin aid info

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
ryleez

Seat Deposti before you recieve fin aid info

Postby ryleez » Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:14 pm

One of the schools that I was admitted into has a $750 seat deposit due before you recieve a financial aid package (Samford). Is this typical. I would never put a non-refundable down payment on anything before seeing the price tag. Your thoughts???

P.S.
I have a 3.9 GPA and am double majoring in English and Economics. My LSAT was a 155. Would this even merit any money in the form of academic scholarships??

LLB2JD

Re: Seat Deposti before you recieve fin aid info

Postby LLB2JD » Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:17 pm

All I'd say is "Wow, that's a heck of a darn good GPA". If you could increase your LSAT just by 10 more points, you're looking at a bevy of other options, and with $$$ too.

mpj_3050

Postby mpj_3050 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:23 pm

Don't go to Samford w/o a lot of money. Even if you are not willing to retake you need to reapply somewhere better with your numbers next year.

Arelikefoxes

Postby Arelikefoxes » Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:29 pm

ryleez wrote:Your thoughts???

It depends. If they have told you they would be sending you a fin aid package, call them. Explain your concern, and see if they would stay your deposit or expedite your processing. If they did not offer you anything, and you are hoping for reconsideration, then ask them to see how likely that would be, if you would have better chances if you paid the deposit.

ryleez wrote: I would never put a non-refundable down payment on anything before seeing the price tag.

You obviously have never gambled before.

ryleez wrote:I have a 3.9 GPA and am double majoring in English and Economics. My LSAT was a 155. Would this even merit any money in the form of academic scholarships??

Use past year's LSN data to find numbers twins and see what, if any, fin aid they were offered. This might be difficult (you are a pretty extreme splitter), but otherwise your guess is as good as anyone.

zonto

Postby zonto » Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:48 pm

mpj_3050 wrote:Don't go to Samford w/o a lot of money. Even if you are not willing to retake you need to reapply somewhere better with your numbers next year.

This.

FeelTheHeat

Postby FeelTheHeat » Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:49 pm

Why are you wasting that glorious GPA :(

Return to “Law School FAQ”