Dual Degrees: Masters in Taxation + JD

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
LoyalRebel

Dual Degrees: Masters in Taxation + JD

Postby LoyalRebel » Sat Mar 26, 2011 1:55 pm

I am considering entering into the dual degree program at Ole Miss, but I am unsure of exactly how it will work. Here are my perceived pros and cons:

Pros
- It will make me more specialized in taxation, which is an area I'm interested in.
- It would allow me to become CPA certified (my undergrad is in accounting). Our Accounting Masters programs incorporate a CPA review course which has excellent pass ratings.
- It seems equivalent to getting an LLM in Taxation, but cheaper.
- I think it would make me pretty marketable despite the fact that I go to a 3T law school
- I would have a good job to fall back on that pays well if I can't find a law firm to work for right out of law school

Cons
- While our law program is their tier, our Accounting program is top notch and thus ridiculously hard. For those of you who don't know, accounting is VERY difficult - many would say more difficult than law, although it's pretty much apples and oranges. I'm worried that I would overload myself with work.
- There is a lot of debate as to the value of a CPA license in the legal field. I definitely don't want to make this huge investment if it's not going to pay off.
- It would involve being at Ole Miss another 4 years. I like the school but I could see how I would grow tired of it.

Please evaluate my situation. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

nealric

Re: Dual Degrees: Masters in Taxation + JD

Postby nealric » Sat Mar 26, 2011 2:21 pm

- I think it would make me pretty marketable despite the fact that I go to a 3T law school

On this point I am somewhat skeptical -at least when it comes to legal careers. Check in with the folk on taxtalent.com forums. As a tax lawyer, I would question the assertion that the MST is considered the same as an LLM.

Mickey Quicknumbers

Postby Mickey Quicknumbers » Sat Mar 26, 2011 2:23 pm

nealric wrote:

On this point I am somewhat skeptical -at least when it comes to legal careers. Check in with the folk on taxtalent.com forums. As a tax lawyer, I would question the assertion that the MST is considered the same as an LLM.

off topic: can I probe you via PM for more LLM information?

LoyalRebel

Postby LoyalRebel » Sat Mar 26, 2011 2:59 pm

nealric wrote:

Fair enough, but for the record my original assertional is that Masters of Taxation + CPA = LLM in Taxation. More versatile as well.

nealric

Postby nealric » Sat Mar 26, 2011 6:02 pm

off topic: can I probe you via PM for more LLM information?

Sure.

Fair enough, but for the record my original assertional is that Masters of Taxation + CPA = LLM in Taxation. More versatile as well.

I wouldn't call it equal- but the career track tends to be different. LLMs generally practice in law firms, while CPA/MST types tend to be in accounting firms.

Return to “Law School FAQ”