Why are people in this profession so cynical ?

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
Bartlebee06

Why are people in this profession so cynical ?

Postby Bartlebee06 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:14 am

Is it because many are lead to be lawyers due to their own narcissism? Or do you think its because everyone from Shakespeare to my little sister thinks we are scumbags?

kalvano

Re: Why are people in this profession so cynical ?

Postby kalvano » Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:08 pm

Because everyone is out to fuck over everyone else.

Bartlebee06

Postby Bartlebee06 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:25 pm

kalvano wrote:Because everyone is out to fuck over everyone else.

case and point

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:26 pm

WINNING!

Stanford4Me

Postby Stanford4Me » Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:33 pm

Screw you.

Bartlebee06

Postby Bartlebee06 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:53 pm

kalvano wrote:WINNING!

Yep. WINNING!

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:57 pm

As a serious matter, probably because you see all the bad stuff people do to each other all day. No one comes to a lawyer because they are getting along great with everyone.

crossarmant

Postby crossarmant » Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:13 pm

Also from my experience in a family law firm, you see the dissolution of so many marriages and the poor situations that children are in. Criminal defense/prosecution you see more often than not, the lowest dredges of society showing up to the judge barely coherent and wearing ripped up jeans to the court house.

Also, I feel like so many people get into law school because they had a degree in English or Art History and couldn't take it anywhere and jumped into the profession because they thought "Hmmm... how about being a lawyer? They make a lot, right? I think I'd be a great lawyer because I like to argue." What they don't realize until they're balls deep into law school or the profession is that it's tons more paperwork and preparation, writing and scheduling, and a lot less "arguing". And that the "a lot of money" they think they'd make isn't as fulfilling out the gate. Go to law school and only make $55k out of school, they get upset because they thought attorneys made six figures immediately, not understanding that for most lawyers to get to that pay-grade they need to stay and work hard for years.

I think for most, people don't know exactly what the profession is like on the day to day. I feel like too many people come in straight from undergrad and think being a lawyer is a John Grisham novel. I definitely suggest taking some time off and working as a paralegal for two years before applying. The work experience can't hurt your applications anyways.

LoyalRebel

Postby LoyalRebel » Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:04 am

kalvano wrote:WINNING!

This.

The practice of Law is, by its nature, intensely competitive, so there is definitely an alpha-male, "I'm better than you" vibe that people seem to get.

Return to “Law School FAQ”