Americorps NCCC

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
bearsfan1

Americorps NCCC

Postby bearsfan1 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:26 pm

I know this is probably not the correct forum to discuss Americorps, but are there any current/previous Americorps members out there who can answer a couple questions?

1. Did serving in Americorps positively impact your law school applications?
2. Is Americorps considered a good "soft" for law school?
3. I'm going to be in Americorps NCCC. What was your NCCC experience like? I realize it's going to be a definite culture shock coming strait from undergrad, but I'd hate to have to go an entire year without being able to go out and drink and do some fun stuff once in awhile lol. And no, I'm not asking whether or not there are parties every weekday, but rather Americorps members even go out and drink during free time.
4. Last but not least, how were the people you served with? I realize every person will have a different story regarding those who they served with, but are there a fair number of college grads or did it seem like there were mainly people who had done a little college and were kind of at a crossroads in life and just doing Americorps to do some soul searching?

I realize these questions might seem odd, but they are legitimate questions. I'm excited to do Americorps NCCC and hopefully make a positive impact in someone else's life. I have quite a bit construction experience, and I've volunteered with kids quite a bit so I'm hoping that I have some skills that I can bring to the table.

Bartlebee06

Re: Americorps NCCC

Postby Bartlebee06 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:03 am

If you feel good about it, do it. It cant hurt to help others in need. Nothing wrong with a little good karma.

bearsfan1

Postby bearsfan1 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:03 pm

Thanks. I know I've read on these forums about people with Americorps experience. Anybody care to answer some of my questions?!?!?

JDndMSW

Postby JDndMSW » Sun Apr 10, 2011 3:33 pm

bearsfan1 wrote:I know this is probably not the correct forum to discuss Americorps, but are there any current/previous Americorps members out there who can answer a couple questions?

1. Did serving in Americorps positively impact your law school applications?
2. Is Americorps considered a good "soft" for law school?
3. I'm going to be in Americorps NCCC. What was your NCCC experience like? I realize it's going to be a definite culture shock coming strait from undergrad, but I'd hate to have to go an entire year without being able to go out and drink and do some fun stuff once in awhile lol. And no, I'm not asking whether or not there are parties every weekday, but rather Americorps members even go out and drink during free time.
4. Last but not least, how were the people you served with? I realize every person will have a different story regarding those who they served with, but are there a fair number of college grads or did it seem like there were mainly people who had done a little college and were kind of at a crossroads in life and just doing Americorps to do some soul searching?

I realize these questions might seem odd, but they are legitimate questions. I'm excited to do Americorps NCCC and hopefully make a positive impact in someone else's life. I have quite a bit construction experience, and I've volunteered with kids quite a bit so I'm hoping that I have some skills that I can bring to the table.

So have you started your service? I only ask because if you are in the eastern region you are serving with my little sister.
So I am an NCCC alum (you say it as N-tripple-C btw) and let me tell you I never drank more in my life then when I was a Corps member, it gets VERY stressful and it really helps take the edge off! If you want to know more PM me...
I went to the Corps not right out of hs but before UG and it was a fantastic time... our team was basically half 19ish and half 23ish but age didn't factor into too much we all hung out and remain very close 3 years later. I will be applying this next cycle so after that I can give you more insight into what it did for me in regards to law school...
Have fun, be flexible, no green on gray, and you will have the best year of your life!

SoltiBichon

Postby SoltiBichon » Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:21 pm

NCCC class 13 here. I don't think NCCC really makes too big a difference honestly. I got into t14 schools, but I placed just around where my LSAT/gpa dictate and I've done two years in the program. What campus are you going to be at?

+1 on drinking and partying a lot. NCCC is not a particularly well run program but nothing will give you better life perspective and show you more diversity. It's a tough program and not for everyone but potentially very rewarding. Good luck.

Return to “Law School FAQ”