How can I make it to JD/MBA

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
aspiringapplicant

How can I make it to JD/MBA

Postby aspiringapplicant » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:29 pm

I was wondering if it is possible to get in a JD/MBA dual degree program straight after college? of course i know i'll have to gain admission from both law school and business school, and that means LSAT & GMAT, awfully pretty GPA and all sorts. but is this possible? can anyone give me suggestions on how to make it?

Grizz

Re: How can I make it to JD/MBA

Postby Grizz » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:43 pm

Without work experience, might as well wipe your butt with your worthless MBA.

MrPapagiorgio

Postby MrPapagiorgio » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:46 pm

rad law wrote:Without work experience, might as well wipe your butt with your worthless MBA.

Yup. MBA's are only helpful if you have work experience. A JD is not a good backdoor entrance to getting an MBA.

glewz

Postby glewz » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:48 pm

You need astonishingly good GPA, LSAT, and GMAT scores and good enough internships/jobs that could compare to the usual WE.

Then you need stellar essays that demonstrate maturity beyond your years...and interviews that do the same.

And once you get in, the school will tell you to defer for a year.
Last edited by glewz on Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

glewz

Postby glewz » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:48 pm

MrPapagiorgio wrote:A JD is not a good backdoor entrance to getting an MBA.

Alex-Trof

Postby Alex-Trof » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:14 pm

aspiringapplicant wrote:I was wondering if it is possible to get in a JD/MBA dual degree program straight after college? of course i know i'll have to gain admission from both law school and business school, and that means LSAT & GMAT, awfully pretty GPA and all sorts. but is this possible? can anyone give me suggestions on how to make it?

No, not a decent one.

glewz

Postby glewz » Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:48 pm

Alex-Trof wrote:
aspiringapplicant wrote:I was wondering if it is possible to get in a JD/MBA dual degree program straight after college? of course i know i'll have to gain admission from both law school and business school, and that means LSAT & GMAT, awfully pretty GPA and all sorts. but is this possible? can anyone give me suggestions on how to make it?

No, not a decent one.

Friend got Harvard JD/MBA straight out.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:04 pm

glewz wrote:
Alex-Trof wrote:

No, not a decent one.

Very prestigious toilet paper

glewz

Postby glewz » Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:06 pm

rad law wrote:
glewz wrote:
Alex-Trof wrote:

No, not a decent one.

Very prestigious toilet paper

Not really... they had him delay his start date for a year (which he ended up delaying for actually 2 years)

He worked for Google during that time, and now he's set up for $$$$ (that's four instead of 3 $'s btw)

Alex-Trof

Postby Alex-Trof » Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:55 pm

glewz wrote:
Alex-Trof wrote:

No, not a decent one.

Who is yout friend? The Facebook founder? Unless you're extremely exceptional and did something amazing in college and have a very solid reason to want to get both degrees your chances are close to nothing. Look at how many MBA applicants Harvard accepts straight out of college. 5%? Is that a reasonable shot?

glewz

Postby glewz » Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:12 pm

Alex-Trof wrote:
glewz wrote:
Alex-Trof wrote:

No, not a decent one.

Who is yout friend? The Facebook founder? Unless you're extremely exceptional and did something amazing in college and have a very solid reason to want to get both degrees your chances are close to nothing. Look at how many MBA applicants Harvard accepts straight out of college. 5%? Is that a reasonable shot?

bro, don't be a smartass. read above.

and the mark zuckerberg did not do a jdmba. nor did he work @ google.

Edit: I sound like an angry donkey
Last edited by glewz on Fri Mar 25, 2011 6:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

EdmundBurke23

Postby EdmundBurke23 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:18 pm

you sound like an angry donkey.

Alex-Trof

Postby Alex-Trof » Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:37 pm

glewz wrote:bro, don't be a smartass. read above.

and don't pull stats out of your ass

I wouldn't be talking about MBA if I didn't know what I was talking about. Here is the truth: without work experience a chances of an average MBA applicant with same stats are significantly less (There is a site like LSN that shows how impossible it is to be accepted to decent MBA without WE). JD/MBA is even harder to get because AdComm will question the motivation of getting both and a person better have a very good specific reason for getting it.

The reason I brought this up is because undergrads applying for an MBA are wasting their time and money. The applications are $200-$300 each, each has 2-3 essays specifically related to career goals and that specific school, each also requires 2-3 recommendations which need to be tailored to each school by the recommender.

glewz

Postby glewz » Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:08 pm

Alex-Trof wrote:
glewz wrote:bro, don't be a smartass. read above.

and don't pull stats out of your ass

I wouldn't be talking about MBA if I didn't know what I was talking about. Here is the truth: without work experience a chances of an average MBA applicant with same stats are significantly less (There is a site like LSN that shows how impossible it is to be accepted to decent MBA without WE). JD/MBA is even harder to get because AdComm will question the motivation of getting both and a person better have a very good specific reason for getting it.

The reason I brought this up is because undergrads applying for an MBA are wasting their time and money. The applications are $200-$300 each, each has 2-3 essays specifically related to career goals and that specific school, each also requires 2-3 recommendations which need to be tailored to each school by the recommender.

Nothing I've said contradicts your comments - in fact, I agree. Just sayin that if OP really wants to apply straight out, then he better have stratospheric, perfect/near-perfect scores + amazing experiences that are comparable to W/E. And even then, the program that accepts him may ask him to work for a year or two.

Alex-Trof

Postby Alex-Trof » Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:55 am

glewz wrote:
Nothing I've said contradicts your comments - in fact, I agree. Just sayin that if OP really wants to apply straight out, then he better have stratospheric, perfect/near-perfect scores + amazing experiences that are comparable to W/E. And even then, the program that accepts him may ask him to work for a year or two.

Agreed :) . The overall message I would end with that having 3-7 years of (especially quality) work experience will increase the applicant's chances exponentially.

LoyalRebel

Postby LoyalRebel » Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:47 pm

I'd say an MBA isn't very useful as far as a law career is concerned. However, there are other masters degrees (Masters of Accountancy/Taxation) which, according to general consensus, can prove very helpful.

I'm enrolling in a joint Masters of Taxation/JD program, so I'll tell you what I know from my research.

You do have to take the LSAT and the GMAT but if you can get into law school, you can most likely get into the school's masters programs. At my school, first year students are required to take only law classes but after that we're free to enroll in classes from the masters program. For this reason, you don't have to submit your masters application until the second year so you can defer taking the GMAT until then if you want.

The advantages of doing a dual degree (in my school, anyway) are that 2 law classes count towards your masters degree and 2 masters classes count towards your law degree for a total of 4 fewer classes for both degrees. This saves you about one semester's worth of school.

That's just how Ole Miss works, obviously other schools may do things differently

glewz

Postby glewz » Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:02 am

LoyalRebel wrote:You do have to take the LSAT and the GMAT but if you can get into law school, you can most likely get into the school's masters programs. At my school, first year students are required to take only law classes but after that we're free to enroll in classes from the masters program. For this reason, you don't have to submit your masters application until the second year so you can defer taking the GMAT until then if you want.

For most JD/MBA programs, you need to take both LSAT & GMAT, but this isn't the case for all of them. Some dual degree programs find the LSAT or GMAT alone to be sufficient.

But yeah, at all the JD/MBA programs I've looked at, you can apply to the business school after your first year as a law student. Dunno if this is the case for accelerated programs.

Return to “Law School FAQ”