do you get a little boost for having a b.s. in engineering?

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
Big Shrimpin

Re: do you get a little boost for having a b.s. in engineering?

Postby Big Shrimpin » Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:28 pm

hurldes wrote:^seriously... how much do they care if your LS grades are stellar?

Oodles, potentially. At the outset, however, we need to make a distinction between patent prosecution and litigation.

If you're going the prosecution route, then you're going to be dealing with LOTS of technology (e.g. background technology in the art, the particular invention being prosecuted, whether and to what extent the patent specification and claims can be read on patentability, etc...). Prosecution is often a tech-intensive exercise since to vindicate a patentee's rights to a patent, the prosecuting attorney must have not only a good handle on procedural law (which isn't that conceptually difficult), but to a greater extent, the underlying subject matter. THUS, UG engineering grades are going to play a BIG role for prosecution.

If you're going the litigation route, then you're going to be dealing with technology to a lesser extent. While it is important to have a good grasp of the invention and the relevant art, it is arguably more important to be able to do legal analysis, drafting, advocacy, etc... Thus, LS grades are the generally accepted proxy (at least in large part, since UG grades will still come into play somewhat) for how you'll perform at a firm.

Tl;dr...if you want to do litigation, don't worry too much about UG grades and focus on doing very well in LS; if you want to do prosecution, then have a good excuse prepared if your GPA looks bad/low.

Postby 09042014 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:36 pm

Bumi wrote:It depends on the school. I think it helped me get into NU with a spectacularly bad GPA. Not because it's a boost - it's not going to get you over a GPA floor. Just as a good soft for schools that care about it.

Big Shrimpin wrote:This story has nothing to do with LS admissions, but I thought it would be funny here as food for though as engineers gear-up for OCI.

In a screening interview, I was asked a peculiar question...

**interviewer looks at my resume, searchingly**
**looks up**...**says, "I see here you were an engineer"**
*Yes, that's correct!*
**hmmm, 3.4x GPA, huh?** (for anonymity, not my GPA, but in the ballpark)
*Indeed*...*palms start sweating*
**So, hmm, no offense...but, um, that's a pretty bad GPA...what happened?**

True story. I wanted to palm --> face, but I laughed it off and explained it away. To be sure, however, I didn't get a CB.

Great. I can't wait to explain my UG 2.x at OCI.

I'm terrified of this. I'm going to spend time figuring out which firms will request my UGPA and then not bid on them.

fatduck

Postby fatduck » Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:11 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
androstan wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:There are plenty of 4.0 engineers out there.

Show them to me.

I had several of them in my classes. I got a 3.56 (meh for law school, of course) and I was neither the hardest worker nor the most naturally gifted. If more than half of my grades were A's (without, frankly, trying all that hard), it's not a huge leap to think that people smarter and more dedicated than me could get all A's.

respectfully: not all engineering degrees are alike

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:15 pm

fatduck wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:
androstan wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:There are plenty of 4.0 engineers out there.

Show them to me.

I had several of them in my classes. I got a 3.56 (meh for law school, of course) and I was neither the hardest worker nor the most naturally gifted. If more than half of my grades were A's (without, frankly, trying all that hard), it's not a huge leap to think that people smarter and more dedicated than me could get all A's.

respectfully: not all engineering degrees are alike

Very true. But we (my class of environmental engineers) had to take some senior-level classes with the ChemE majors (which is, I believe, generally considered to be a "hard" engineering major) and collectively, we absolutely killed the curve. Pissed the ChemEs off, too. So at least at my school, EnvE wasn't easy.

Postby 09042014 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:16 pm

Environmental engineering is as much an engineer as a sanitation engineer is.

Sentry

Postby Sentry » Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:19 pm

Is it really that hard to learn how to drive a train?

Cade McNown

Postby Cade McNown » Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:20 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:FWIW, I go to a school that has a pretty good engineering program with a couple programs ranked in the top ten and the average graduating GPA for engineers was on par with the university overall.

This. + Lol at the boatloads of engineering majors who think they had it bad.

fatduck

Postby fatduck » Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:23 pm

Cade McNown wrote:
Patriot1208 wrote:FWIW, I go to a school that has a pretty good engineering program with a couple programs ranked in the top ten and the average graduating GPA for engineers was on par with the university overall.

i mean i understand that you're just trying to sound hard on the internet, but the mean gpa in the college of engineering at my school is 3.04. somehow i don't think it's the same in humanities and social sciences.

czelede

Postby czelede » Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:55 pm

fatduck wrote:
Cade McNown wrote:

i mean i understand that you're just trying to sound hard on the internet, but the mean gpa in the college of engineering at my school is 3.04. somehow i don't think it's the same in humanities and social sciences.

I like you, fatduck.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:13 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Environmental engineering is as much an engineer as a sanitation engineer is.

It's civil+chemical. Perhaps you're thinking of environmental science? There's very little animal- and tree-hugging going on in EnvE.

thsmthcrmnl

Postby thsmthcrmnl » Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:15 pm

I had a crazy-hard triple-major, and I performed exactly to my numbers. Didn't help at all.

Postby 09042014 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:15 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Environmental engineering is as much an engineer as a sanitation engineer is.

It's civil+chemical. Perhaps you're thinking of environmental science? There's very little animal- and tree-hugging going on in EnvE.

A lot of time when you combine a bunch of different things you get not enough of any of it.

Is it ABET accredited?

SemperLegal

Postby SemperLegal » Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:20 pm

Sentry wrote:Is it really that hard to learn how to drive a train?

How did this go unrecognized with a "+1"?

Thank you for my daily laugh.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:25 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:

A lot of time when you combine a bunch of different things you get not enough of any of it.

Is it ABET accredited?

Oh, good grief. Of course it is. I'm an EIT. My best friend, who is less lazy than I, has her PE. (I'm sure more of our classmates do too, I just don't keep in touch with them all.)

ThomasMN

Postby ThomasMN » Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:27 pm

I will say this, engineers simply have to take more classes where you can't slack off. I think I would have to deliberately not pay attention in class, never study, not read, and potentially give myself a concussion to get less than a B+ in one my history classes. That being the case, I know kids that get Cs. However, if I slept through Calc II I am fairly certain I would epically fail.

As a side note, I am taking a computer science class full of engineering and physics majors and I am stomping them into the ground. Its bad when I lead the class as a history major.

fatduck

Postby fatduck » Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:28 pm

ThomasMN wrote:I will say this, engineers simply have to take more classes where you can't slack off. I think I would have to deliberately not pay attention in class, never study, not read, and potentially give myself a concussion to get less than a B+ in one my history classes. That being the case, I know kids that get Cs. However, if I slept through Calc II I am fairly certain I would epically fail.

As a side note, I am taking a computer science class full of engineering and physics majors and I am stomping them into the ground. Its bad when I lead the class as a history major.

depending on what "a computer science class" is, it's possible that they just don't have time to give a shit

ThomasMN

Postby ThomasMN » Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:34 pm

Its just my schools basic comp sci course, basically just C. I show up to class, I keep my eyes and ears open, and I get 100% on everything. It's not exactly engineering ; )

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:36 pm

fatduck wrote:
ThomasMN wrote:I will say this, engineers simply have to take more classes where you can't slack off. I think I would have to deliberately not pay attention in class, never study, not read, and potentially give myself a concussion to get less than a B+ in one my history classes. That being the case, I know kids that get Cs. However, if I slept through Calc II I am fairly certain I would epically fail.

depending on what "a computer science class" is, it's possible that they just don't have time to give a shit

If it's a programming classs, I think you either just 'get' it or you don't. I can read code (to a certain, limited extent), but damned if I can pull new code out of thin air.

fatduck

Postby fatduck » Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:38 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
fatduck wrote:

If it's a programming classs, I think you either just 'get' it or you don't. I can read code (to a certain, limited extent), but damned if I can pull new code out of thin air.

yea, i suppose that's true. i'm an EE (and at a school that emphasizes programming a lot) so i'm kind of biased.

ThomasMN

Postby ThomasMN » Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:41 pm

Very true. I have serious respect for engineering students. Had I not decided to be wussy liberal arts major, history, I was planning to be an electrical engineer. An A in a 300 level history course is certainly easier than an A in (insert name here) engineering class. That being said, I would rather be a math minor then discuss metaphysics with a Catholic philosophy professor.

Return to “Law School FAQ”