do you get a little boost for having a b.s. in engineering? Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
pnguyen9

New

do you get a little boost for having a b.s. in engineering?

Post by pnguyen9 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:18 pm

i've been reading a lot of threads and i feel like there have been mixed responses on whether or not law schools actually care about majors. my gpa isn't too great and i wanted to know if it'll even matter that i have a background in engr.

fatduck

Gold

Re: do you get a little boost for having a b.s. in engineering?

Post by fatduck » Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:19 pm

not really

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:24 pm

It could possibly give you a small advantage over someone with a similar GPA who majored in underwater basketweaving, but an engineering major isn't going to make up for a bad GPA. There are plenty of 4.0 engineers out there.
Last edited by rinkrat19 on Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Deuce

Silver

Post by Deuce » Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:25 pm

Nah

Big Shrimpin

Gold

Post by Big Shrimpin » Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:27 pm

fatduck wrote:not really

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

waitlisteddd

New

Post by waitlisteddd » Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:15 pm

i think it gives a slight advantage.

i have a 3.7 in engineering and i think that some schools view it similarly to a 3.8/3.9. its only a slight, slight advantage, but it's something!

Borhas

Platinum

Post by Borhas » Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:26 pm

pnguyen9 wrote:i've been reading a lot of threads and i feel like there have been mixed responses on whether or not law schools actually care about majors. my gpa isn't too great and i wanted to know if it'll even matter that i have a background in engr.
I think it'll help if you make sure to tell them you'll pursue IP law. Schools want employed grads. IP grads have an easier time with that.
Last edited by Borhas on Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fatduck

Gold

Post by fatduck » Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:28 pm

Borhas wrote:
pnguyen9 wrote:i've been reading a lot of threads and i feel like there have been mixed responses on whether or not law schools actually care about majors. my gpa isn't too great and i wanted to know if it'll even matter that i have a background in engr.
I think it'll help if you make sure to tell them you'll pursue IP law. Schools want employed grads. IP grads have an easier time with that.
maybe. it's going to be very slight, if anything. i personally have a BSEE, my PS was focused on patent law, and i got into every school i was supposed to get into, none that i wasn't.

Borhas

Platinum

Post by Borhas » Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:32 pm

fatduck wrote:
Borhas wrote:
maybe. it's going to be very slight, if anything. i personally have a BSEE, my PS was focused on patent law, and i got into every school i was supposed to get into, none that i wasn't.
ehh you're probably right
Last edited by Borhas on Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

DoubleChecks

Gold

Post by DoubleChecks » Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:34 pm

yeah id say it only gives a slight bump, i.e. if it came down to you and someone else with a very similar GPA in a liberal arts, might swing your way

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:44 pm

It's a decent soft.

I've noticed a lot of the lower GPA admits at Michigan are patent eligible.

But you shouldn't expect your cycle to go any differently.

androstan

Gold

Post by androstan » Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:27 am

rinkrat19 wrote:There are plenty of 4.0 engineers out there.
Show them to me.

pnguyen9

New

Post by pnguyen9 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:30 am

androstan wrote:
Show them to me.

Agreed. About 75% of the people who started out in my major switched to something else (because of difficulty), which seems pretty high to me.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Big Shrimpin

Gold

Post by Big Shrimpin » Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:50 am

This story has nothing to do with LS admissions, but I thought it would be funny here as food for though as engineers gear-up for OCI.

In a screening interview, I was asked a peculiar question...

**interviewer looks at my resume, searchingly**
**looks up**...**says, "I see here you were an engineer"**
*Yes, that's correct!*
**hmmm, 3.4x GPA, huh?** (for anonymity, not my GPA, but in the ballpark)
*Indeed*...*palms start sweating*
**So, hmm, no offense...but, um, that's a pretty bad GPA...what happened?**

True story. I wanted to palm --> face, but I laughed it off and explained it away. To be sure, however, I didn't get a CB.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:01 pm

androstan wrote:
Show them to me.
I had several of them in my classes. I got a 3.56 (meh for law school, of course) and I was neither the hardest worker nor the most naturally gifted. If more than half of my grades were A's (without, frankly, trying all that hard), it's not a huge leap to think that people smarter and more dedicated than me could get all A's.
Last edited by rinkrat19 on Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

stratocophic

Gold

Post by stratocophic » Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:01 pm

pnguyen9 wrote:
androstan wrote:
Show them to me.

Agreed. About 75% of the people who started out in my major switched to something else (because of difficulty), which seems pretty high to me.
+1 maybe at crap state college of dentistry and civil engineering. I think generally the better the engineering school, the worse the average engineering GPA is. See, e.g., GT and Illinois.
Big Shrimpin wrote:This story has nothing to do with LS admissions, but I thought it would be funny here as food for though as engineers gear-up for OCI.

*Yes, that's correct!*

True story. I wanted to palm --> face, but I laughed it off and explained it away. To be sure, however, I didn't get a CB.
At that point, you knew it was over. You should have leaned forward and backhanded the interviewer. Lean back as if nothing happens, they say what the hell, and you say that's what engineering does to people. It's like one to two years of getting slapped in the face when you're not expecting it, followed by two to three years of expecting the degradation.

That's legitimately ridiculous, though. Doesn't bode well for people like myself and fatduck.

Big Shrimpin

Gold

Post by Big Shrimpin » Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:13 pm

stratocophic wrote:
pnguyen9 wrote:
androstan wrote:
Show them to me.

+1 maybe at crap state college of dentistry and civil engineering. I think generally the better the engineering school, the worse the average engineering GPA is. See, e.g., GT and Illinois.
Big Shrimpin wrote:This story has nothing to do with LS admissions, but I thought it would be funny here as food for though as engineers gear-up for OCI.

*Yes, that's correct!*

At that point, you knew it was over. You should have leaned forward and backhanded the interviewer. Lean back as if nothing happens, they say what the hell, and you say that's what engineering does to people. It's like one to two years of getting slapped in the face when you're not expecting it, followed by two to three years of expecting the degradation
True. It was actually sort of a relief, since I knew that I didn't really have to try anymore. At that point, I just wanted to save some face and style on the interviewer for being such a jerk. In essence, I proceeded to show him/her, through implication, that I was glad to be wasting his/her time, which could have been spent on someone more "qualified" than me. 95% of OCI interviewers are great, it's just that 5%...there's not enough headroom to look down at interviewees in hotel-suite ceilings when you're sitting atop a giant horse. :lol:

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

stratocophic

Gold

Post by stratocophic » Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:23 pm

Big Shrimpin wrote:
stratocophic wrote:
pnguyen9 wrote:
androstan wrote:
Show them to me.

*Yes, that's correct!*

At that point, you knew it was over. You should have leaned forward and backhanded the interviewer. Lean back as if nothing happens, they say what the hell, and you say that's what engineering does to people. It's like one to two years of getting slapped in the face when you're not expecting it, followed by two to three years of expecting the degradation
True. It was actually sort of a relief, since I knew that I didn't really have to try anymore. At that point, I just wanted to save some face and style on the interviewer for being such a jerk. In essence, I proceeded to show him/her, through implication, that I was glad to be wasting his/her time, which could have been spent on someone more "qualified" than me. 95% of OCI interviewers are great, it's just that 5%...there's not enough headroom to look down at interviewees in hotel-suite ceilings when you're sitting atop a giant horse. :lol:
Awesome

androstan

Gold

Post by androstan » Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:40 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
androstan wrote:
Show them to me.
I had several of them in my classes. I got a 3.56 (meh for law school, of course) and I was neither the hardest worker nor the most naturally gifted. If more than half of my grades were A's (without, frankly, trying all that hard), it's not a huge leap to think that people smarter and more dedicated than me could get all A's.
I guess everyone's experience is different. We had a huge portion of our sophormore class switch majors. Then, come junior year, there were many students accustomed to always getting straight A's their whole life crying about several B's. Other students students were thrilled just to pass with a C. Several should have switched majors and needed actual F's staring them in the face to get them to try something else.

Patriot1208

Platinum

Post by Patriot1208 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:46 pm

FWIW, I go to a school that has a pretty good engineering program with a couple programs ranked in the top ten and the average graduating GPA for engineers was on par with the university overall.

Bumi

Silver

Post by Bumi » Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:50 pm

It depends on the school. I think it helped me get into NU with a spectacularly bad GPA. Not because it's a boost - it's not going to get you over a GPA floor. Just as a good soft for schools that care about it.

*Yes, that's correct!*

Great. I can't wait to explain my UG 2.x at OCI.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

hurldes

Bronze

Post by hurldes » Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:55 pm

^seriously... how much do they care if your LS grades are stellar?

czelede

Silver

Post by czelede » Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:56 pm

Re: engineering grades in general. It depends on the program, it depends on the school. I went to a top 5 engineering school, where it wasn't too hard to do well in Industrial Engineering or General Engineering (which accounted for a large proportion of the engineering population). For Aerospace, nobody in my year (~120 people) graduated with a 4.0, and top 20% started at ~3.3. Classes were curved to a 2.5 (which is what I would say to explain to a prospective employer, I guess).

Re: engineering in law school applications. It doesn't really help as much as it should (given grade deflation); however, I think top schools (schools that can afford to look past pure numbers) do take into account the entire application package. This is particularly true of "holistic" schools. A hard major won't offset a bad GPA, but a good LSAT AND a hard major can offset a bad GPA more than just the good LSAT would, if that makes sense. Between a 3.1/engineering and a 3.2-3.3/Communications major, given an equal LSAT and overall application quality I would wager that most schools would take the former.

stratocophic

Gold

Post by stratocophic » Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:57 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:FWIW, I go to a school that has a pretty good engineering program with a couple programs ranked in the top ten and the average graduating GPA for engineers was on par with the university overall.
I was near the average GPA for my engineering school, but our average was in line with the university average, and my GPA's far from great... maybe the university itself has more to do with than the strength of the engineering program? I dunno

Patriot1208

Platinum

Post by Patriot1208 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:02 pm

stratocophic wrote:
Patriot1208 wrote:FWIW, I go to a school that has a pretty good engineering program with a couple programs ranked in the top ten and the average graduating GPA for engineers was on par with the university overall.
I was near the average GPA for my engineering school, but our average was in line with the university average, and my GPA's far from great... maybe the university itself has more to do with than the strength of the engineering program? I dunno
I was actually told that the engineering program had an average graduating gpa just above a 3.4 and the university as a whole is around 3.33 or something like that. I mean, maybe it is just a tighter group or smarter kids, but it's hard to really attribute it to that without further analysis.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”