Advice for future law student.

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
User avatar
Bartlebee06
Posts: 155
Joined: Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:43 pm

Advice for future law student.

Postby Bartlebee06 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:08 pm

Im half way through undergrad and I understand I need to maintain a high GPA and score well on the LSAT. Does anyone have any other advice that would help me be more acceptable to a T14? Keep in mind I work full time at a place that pays for 55% of my current tuition so getting a job in the legal field is pretty much impossible. Should I be begging local firms to let me do some summer work or should I do some volunteer stuff to boost my resume? I want this badly so I am willing to do what it takes if you guys have any suggestions. Thanks!

User avatar
jigalion
Posts: 17
Joined: Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:32 am

Re: Advice for future law student.

Postby jigalion » Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:24 pm

Cute dog.

TyrodTaylor
Posts: 224
Joined: Tue Dec 21, 2010 4:06 pm

Re: Advice for future law student.

Postby TyrodTaylor » Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:25 pm

you sound like you already are doing everything you need.

1. LSAT
2. GPA
3. Working through School
4. Maybe cure cancer or invent facebook if you want to have any guarantees.

User avatar
Patriot1208
Posts: 7044
Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 11:28 am

Re: Advice for future law student.

Postby Patriot1208 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:25 pm

The only thing that matters is high GPA + high LSAT.

User avatar
Teoeo
Posts: 801
Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:21 am

Re: Advice for future law student.

Postby Teoeo » Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:25 pm

Obviously volunteering at places like legal aid can only help. Honestly though, if you can get a high GPA/LSAT you will be fine.

User avatar
Bartlebee06
Posts: 155
Joined: Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:43 pm

Re: Advice for future law student.

Postby Bartlebee06 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:42 pm

Cool. Thanks guys!

Danteshek
Posts: 2172
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:40 pm

Re: Advice for future law student.

Postby Danteshek » Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:46 pm

Get some full time paid work experience before entering law school.

User avatar
apollo13
Posts: 106
Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2010 12:47 am

Re: Advice for future law student.

Postby apollo13 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:34 pm

Hey I am a 0L and sort of in a similar boat as you. But keep in mind that getting the highest GPA as humanely as possible should be your highest priority. Because GPA is only one time constant, whereas the LSAT score can be improved and maintained after significant amount of studying. Law schools don't necessarily look at what major/your school from unless you are from MIT/hard Ivies - so its all about numbers game. I would suggest you to study something that you truly enjoy whether it would be psychology or sociology, as you are set on going to law school. But at the same time, I would rather have a 3.5 GPA with good social life and social investment than 3.9 GPA with hardcore studying, no partying lifestyle. Enjoy your life, cuz I am almost done enjoying my undergrad life as well haha..

NoJob
Posts: 237
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:32 pm

Re: Advice for future law student.

Postby NoJob » Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:31 pm

Bartlebee06 wrote:Im half way through undergrad and I understand I need to maintain a high GPA and score well on the LSAT. Does anyone have any other advice that would help me be more acceptable to a T14? Keep in mind I work full time at a place that pays for 55% of my current tuition so getting a job in the legal field is pretty much impossible. Should I be begging local firms to let me do some summer work or should I do some volunteer stuff to boost my resume? I want this badly so I am willing to do what it takes if you guys have any suggestions. Thanks!


Keep your full time job, save your money, and don't go unless HYS.

johndelclay
Posts: 13
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:36 am

Re: Advice for future law student.

Postby johndelclay » Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:59 am

My advice? Keep reading, study hard and sleep early and eat healthy.

User avatar
Bartlebee06
Posts: 155
Joined: Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:43 pm

Re: Advice for future law student.

Postby Bartlebee06 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:47 am

NoJob wrote:
Bartlebee06 wrote:Im half way through undergrad and I understand I need to maintain a high GPA and score well on the LSAT. Does anyone have any other advice that would help me be more acceptable to a T14? Keep in mind I work full time at a place that pays for 55% of my current tuition so getting a job in the legal field is pretty much impossible. Should I be begging local firms to let me do some summer work or should I do some volunteer stuff to boost my resume? I want this badly so I am willing to do what it takes if you guys have any suggestions. Thanks!


Keep your full time job, save your money, and don't go unless HYS.




No desire to go HYS. Looking for Vandy, UTA, UVA, or Duke. I would hang myself at HYS. Not a chance of fitting in whith that crowd.

TyrodTaylor
Posts: 224
Joined: Tue Dec 21, 2010 4:06 pm

Re: Advice for future law student.

Postby TyrodTaylor » Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:08 am

your tune will change...

User avatar
piccolittle
Posts: 1118
Joined: Mon Oct 06, 2008 4:16 pm

Re: Advice for future law student.

Postby piccolittle » Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:30 am

Bartlebee06 wrote:No desire to go HYS. Looking for Vandy, UTA, UVA, or Duke. I would hang myself at HYS. Not a chance of fitting in whith that crowd.


So you're a bro, huh?

jk jk

User avatar
Bartlebee06
Posts: 155
Joined: Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:43 pm

Re: Advice for future law student.

Postby Bartlebee06 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:49 pm

piccolittle wrote:
Bartlebee06 wrote:No desire to go HYS. Looking for Vandy, UTA, UVA, or Duke. I would hang myself at HYS. Not a chance of fitting in whith that crowd.


So you're a bro, huh?

jk jk



No Im a honkie but Im just not that into the whole sweater vest, tennis playing, ivy culture. Nothing against those folks but I listen to NWA, drive a dodge Ram, and I like to get whiskey bent and hell bound every now and again.

drummerboy
Posts: 512
Joined: Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:42 pm

Re: Advice for future law student.

Postby drummerboy » Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:35 pm

start studying for the lsat asap trying to consistently score at least a 164 or greater on practice tests. and try to get 3.5 plus gpa. this way you can attempt to avoid the pitfalls inherent in those with splitter/reverse splitter stats. that plus decent lors personal statements, and good softs should do the trick. this will keep you competitive for tier 1 schools with a chance at some money.ps apply as early as you can. hope this helps. good luck

User avatar
Bartlebee06
Posts: 155
Joined: Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:43 pm

Re: Advice for future law student.

Postby Bartlebee06 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:52 pm

drummerboy wrote:start studying for the lsat asap trying to consistently score at least a 164 or greater on practice tests. and try to get 3.5 plus gpa. this way you can attempt to avoid the pitfalls inherent in those with splitter/reverse splitter stats. that plus decent lors personal statements, and good softs should do the trick. this will keep you competitive for tier 1 schools with a chance at some money.ps apply as early as you can. hope this helps. good luck


Thanks

LoyalRebel
Posts: 193
Joined: Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:20 pm

Re: Advice for future law student.

Postby LoyalRebel » Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:55 pm

It would be impossible to overemphasize how important the LSAT is.

jimmyrain77
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:12 am

Re: Advice for future law student.

Postby jimmyrain77 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:17 am

.

User avatar
Veyron
Posts: 3598
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:50 am

Re: Advice for future law student.

Postby Veyron » Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:24 am

Advice for future law student.


Abandon all hope ye who enter here.




Return to “Law School FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest