waiting and re-applying effect on admissions?

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
grnidgrl

waiting and re-applying effect on admissions?

Postby grnidgrl » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:01 pm

I've applied and been accepted into several schools for 2011. However, I have decided that I need one more year before I'll be ready for law school. For one, I'm currently working in South Korea and the earliest I could return home is mid-August, which isn't a guarantee and would only give me a couple of days or a week before I would need to be situated and ready for orientation. If I re-apply next year to schools that accepted me this year, do I have less of a chance of being admitted for a second time because I didn't accept the first time?

ran12

Re: waiting and re-applying effect on admissions?

Postby ran12 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:33 pm

grnidgrl wrote:I've applied and been accepted into several schools for 2011. However, I have decided that I need one more year before I'll be ready for law school. For one, I'm currently working in South Korea and the earliest I could return home is mid-August, which isn't a guarantee and would only give me a couple of days or a week before I would need to be situated and ready for orientation. If I re-apply next year to schools that accepted me this year, do I have less of a chance of being admitted for a second time because I didn't accept the first time?

If you have a good reason, which it seems is that you just wouldn't be ready, they would prob understand.

loblaw

Postby loblaw » Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:36 pm

grnidgrl wrote:I've applied and been accepted into several schools for 2011. However, I have decided that I need one more year before I'll be ready for law school. For one, I'm currently working in South Korea and the earliest I could return home is mid-August, which isn't a guarantee and would only give me a couple of days or a week before I would need to be situated and ready for orientation. If I re-apply next year to schools that accepted me this year, do I have less of a chance of being admitted for a second time because I didn't accept the first time?

Why not try to defer for a year?

grnidgrl

Postby grnidgrl » Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:15 am

loblaw wrote:

I did consider it, but I took the Feb LSAT and improved my score a bit so I might apply to some schools that I didn't think I would have gotten into before. Also, I'm nervous that if I defer and the school knows that I'm for sure going there, they wont give me as much aid. And the school I would defer has a $900 deposit due April 15 that it would be a struggle to pay right now, though it could be done.

loblaw

Postby loblaw » Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:43 pm

grnidgrl wrote:
loblaw wrote:

I did consider it, but I took the Feb LSAT and improved my score a bit so I might apply to some schools that I didn't think I would have gotten into before. Also, I'm nervous that if I defer and the school knows that I'm for sure going there, they wont give me as much aid. And the school I would defer has a $900 deposit due April 15 that it would be a struggle to pay right now, though it could be done.

Okay, I didn't realize you were going for a retake. I would send a withdrawal letter, not just an email, explaining the situation and reasons why you are not attending law school this year. Make a special point to tell them that you are very eager to apply next year and that you hope they will reach the same conclusion after reviewing your file next year. Next year's application, specifically reference the letter in your PS or an addendum. They accepted you this year with your applications and (hopefully) next year you will be even more qualified. No guarantees, but I think that's your best bet.

Return to “Law School FAQ”