UC Hastings

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
nachase

Re: UC Hastings

Postby nachase » Thu Feb 26, 2015 5:20 pm

BUMP. Given the same discrepancy in rank between Davis and Hastings, as well as the fact that all the folks on this thread have recently graduated, I am wondering what their final assessment of UC Hastings is.

Lasers

Postby Lasers » Thu Feb 26, 2015 8:23 pm

nachase wrote:BUMP. Given the same discrepancy in rank between Davis and Hastings, as well as the fact that all the folks on this thread have recently graduated, I am wondering what their final assessment of UC Hastings is.

stay away from hastings and davis.

stanford/berk/usc/ucla or bust.

Moneytrees

Postby Moneytrees » Fri Feb 27, 2015 3:22 pm

Lasers wrote:
nachase wrote:BUMP. Given the same discrepancy in rank between Davis and Hastings, as well as the fact that all the folks on this thread have recently graduated, I am wondering what their final assessment of UC Hastings is.

This is a bit much, imo. Davis has been fairly generous with merit aid in recent years, and has a decent reputation in Nor Cal. If you have modest career goals and can keep debt low, Davis could be a solid choice. UC Hastings, on the other hand, has had very poor placement for years now and should be avoided.

Lasers

Postby Lasers » Fri Feb 27, 2015 6:25 pm

Moneytrees wrote:
Lasers wrote:

This is a bit much, imo. Davis has been fairly generous with merit aid in recent years, and has a decent reputation in Nor Cal. If you have modest career goals and can keep debt low, Davis could be a solid choice. UC Hastings, on the other hand, has had very poor placement for years now and should be avoided.

from the data available, hastings and davis had almost exactly the same placement until about 3 years ago. since then, hastings has fallen off a cliff (and looks to be on a tier 3 trajectory, unfortunately).

i'll amend my original statement. avoid hastings. avoid davis without significant scholarship money. retake! hell, i wish i could still retake the LSAT. hah.

nachase

Postby nachase » Mon Mar 02, 2015 11:06 am

I'm in a good spot in terms of paying for school (Post 9/11 GI Bill pays 100% tuition for in-state public schools), so debt isn't an issue. One would think that given Hastings' history and location it would be a top tier school. Sad to see how far its fallen.

Lasers

Postby Lasers » Tue Mar 03, 2015 7:43 am

nachase wrote:I'm in a good spot in terms of paying for school (Post 9/11 GI Bill pays 100% tuition for in-state public schools), so debt isn't an issue. One would think that given Hastings' history and location it would be a top tier school. Sad to see how far its fallen.

congrats on a full scholly. but to be honest, i would still re-take. i would bust my ass studying for the LSAT again and re-take (unless you got like a 170+ already). i mean, chances are you'll be better served by going to stanford/berk/ucla/usc than either of hastings/davis, and it's just the bottom-line.

i remember i was super eager to go to law school and get started, but i'm telling you, if i could re-do it, i would have taken a cycle off and re-dedicated myself to crushing the LSAT.

reasonable person

Postby reasonable person » Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:53 am

nachase

Postby nachase » Fri Mar 06, 2015 10:50 am

I appreciate your candor. Fortunately Hastings isn't my only option; I got into BC and am waiting on decisions from a whole host of other schools. Should everything go to hell though I'll take a year to improve my softs even more as well as retake the LSAT. I'm still optimistic at this point, but my dreams have been crushed before.

bl1nds1ght

Postby bl1nds1ght » Fri Mar 06, 2015 11:30 am

http://www.lstscorereports.com/schools/ ... yers/2013/

UC Hastings - 51.8% gross unemployment (ST/PT + unemployment) and another 12.3% school-funded makes for roughly 60%+ of the class in an undesirable outcome.

UC Davis - 26.5% gross unemployment (ST/PT + unemployment) and another 15.3% school-funded makes for roughly 40%+ of the class in an undesirable outcome.

Davis isn't great, but it's certainly better than Hastings.

Return to “Law School FAQ”