Other People Have Figured It Out

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
NoJob
Posts: 237
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:32 pm

Other People Have Figured It Out

Postby NoJob » Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:39 am

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142 ... sNewsThird

The Wall Street Journal reports that Biglaw jobs are disappearing and that applications are way down. Personally, I loved the part where students were asking law school deans to read about how bad the field is. As if they do not know that already?

FYI, midlaw and shitlaw jobs are MIA too.

So, why keep applying? Why take the LSAT?

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11720
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: Other People Have Figured It Out

Postby kalvano » Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:10 am

Gee, this topic is so fresh and exciting!

User avatar
SherlockHolmes
Posts: 327
Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:47 pm

Re: Other People Have Figured It Out

Postby SherlockHolmes » Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:16 am

Law jobs are disappearing?! :shock:

User avatar
fatduck
Posts: 4186
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:16 pm

Re: Other People Have Figured It Out

Postby fatduck » Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:17 am

get a job

User avatar
NZA
Posts: 1285
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:01 pm

Re: Other People Have Figured It Out

Postby NZA » Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:19 am

...I thought NoJob got banned.

Anomaly
Posts: 151
Joined: Sat Nov 06, 2010 7:55 pm

Re: Other People Have Figured It Out

Postby Anomaly » Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:33 am

.
Last edited by Anomaly on Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

TyrodTaylor
Posts: 224
Joined: Tue Dec 21, 2010 4:06 pm

Re: Other People Have Figured It Out

Postby TyrodTaylor » Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:35 am

Yall would probably have better luck finding jobs if you werent sitting on internet forums in the morning. Just a thought.

User avatar
homestyle28
Posts: 2312
Joined: Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:48 pm

Re: Other People Have Figured It Out

Postby homestyle28 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:38 am

Anomaly wrote:He's right - good luck finding a job as a lawyer.

And don't bother with underwriting, reporting, computer programming, chemical engineering, editing, business, or management. Those jobs are disappearing too.

http://finance.yahoo.com/career-work/ar ... fe_balance

Having said that, fast food jobs should be on the rise. Mcdonald's experienced record sales in 2010 and expects to open 20-30 new stores, creating 2000+ jobs.

--LinkRemoved--

62,000 in Germany are already on board. It looks those people have figured it out.


That's just plain stupid, Subway has overtaken McD's in total shops. JD->Sandwich Artist, ftw!

dooood
Posts: 142
Joined: Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:45 am

Re: Other People Have Figured It Out

Postby dooood » Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:43 am

-
Last edited by dooood on Sat Apr 23, 2011 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
homestyle28
Posts: 2312
Joined: Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:48 pm

Re: Other People Have Figured It Out

Postby homestyle28 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:55 am

dooood wrote:
TyrodTaylor wrote:Yall would probably have better luck finding jobs if you werent sitting on internet forums in the morning. Just a thought.


haha +1


shows what you know, I'm at work right now...I already got a jerb!

User avatar
Alex-Trof
Posts: 528
Joined: Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:42 am

Re: Other People Have Figured It Out

Postby Alex-Trof » Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:58 am

homestyle28 wrote:
dooood wrote:
TyrodTaylor wrote:Yall would probably have better luck finding jobs if you werent sitting on internet forums in the morning. Just a thought.


haha +1


shows what you know, I'm at work right now...I already got a jerb!


+1

TyrodTaylor
Posts: 224
Joined: Tue Dec 21, 2010 4:06 pm

Re: Other People Have Figured It Out

Postby TyrodTaylor » Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:27 am

homestyle28 wrote:
dooood wrote:
TyrodTaylor wrote:Yall would probably have better luck finding jobs if you werent sitting on internet forums in the morning. Just a thought.


haha +1


shows what you know, I'm at work right now...I already got a jerb!



samesies

ran12
Posts: 1003
Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2010 4:28 pm

Re: Other People Have Figured It Out

Postby ran12 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:58 am

The problem is that there are a ton of scared shitless kids in college who apply to law school and go without really being committed or even understanding what law school and law are really all about. Riding out the economy is a stupid reason for going to law school but that's what way too many people do. Having gone to b-school and going to law school in the Fall, from my experience I would say that b-school is the much safer choice. People are afraid of going to b-school b/c of the economy but if you have a degree from a top b-school, good jobs are out there. Def easier to get a good job out of b-school than law school.

User avatar
Alex-Trof
Posts: 528
Joined: Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:42 am

Re: Other People Have Figured It Out

Postby Alex-Trof » Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:04 pm

ran12 wrote:The problem is that there are a ton of scared shitless kids in college who apply to law school and go without really being committed or even understanding what law school and law are really all about. Riding out the economy is a stupid reason for going to law school but that's what way too many people do. Having gone to b-school and going to law school in the Fall, from my experience I would say that b-school is the much safer choice. People are afraid of going to b-school b/c of the economy but if you have a degree from a top b-school, good jobs are out there. Def easier to get a good job out of b-school than law school.


I disagree. In b-school what matters is experience. You have to have 2 things to get into top b-school: 1) decent quantity of work experience, 2) decent quality of work experience. Those things are softs when it comes to law school admission at best. If you have no experience at all and by some miracle you manage to get into decent b-school, you will face very tough time competing with your classmates who have work experience and connections. Besides grades in b-school don't really matter. In law school, although getting a job is just as difficult, if you do well you can secure a job straight out of college.

I agree that to wait it out is a wrong reason to go to law school. It is, however, a wrong reason to go to business school.

User avatar
Hank Chill
Posts: 120
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:53 pm

Re: Other People Have Figured It Out

Postby Hank Chill » Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:08 pm

NoJob wrote:http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704396504576204692878631986.html?mod=WSJ_hp_MIDDLENexttoWhatsNewsThird

The Wall Street Journal reports that Biglaw jobs are disappearing and that applications are way down. Personally, I loved the part where students were asking law school deans to read about how bad the field is. As if they do not know that already?

FYI, midlaw and shitlaw jobs are MIA too.

So, why keep applying? Why take the LSAT?


username=NoJob

ran12
Posts: 1003
Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2010 4:28 pm

Re: Other People Have Figured It Out

Postby ran12 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:11 pm

Alex-Trof wrote:
ran12 wrote:The problem is that there are a ton of scared shitless kids in college who apply to law school and go without really being committed or even understanding what law school and law are really all about. Riding out the economy is a stupid reason for going to law school but that's what way too many people do. Having gone to b-school and going to law school in the Fall, from my experience I would say that b-school is the much safer choice. People are afraid of going to b-school b/c of the economy but if you have a degree from a top b-school, good jobs are out there. Def easier to get a good job out of b-school than law school.


I disagree. In b-school what matters is experience. You have to have 2 things to get into top b-school: 1) decent quantity of work experience, 2) decent quality of work experience. Those things are softs when it comes to law school admission at best. If you have no experience at all and by some miracle you manage to get into decent b-school, you will face very tough time competing with your classmates who have work experience and connections. Besides grades in b-school don't really matter. In law school, although getting a job is just as difficult, if you do well you can secure a job straight out of college.

I agree that to wait it out is a wrong reason to go to law school. It is, however, a wrong reason to go to business school.



Sorry I assumed people would know that you need work experience to go to b-school and succeed in getting a good job. What I was trying to say is that if someone is a good enough student to get into a decent law school, they will prob be able to get a job and after a few years go to b-school.

User avatar
dailygrind
Posts: 19643
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:08 am

Re: Other People Have Figured It Out

Postby dailygrind » Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:19 pm

ran12 wrote:
Alex-Trof wrote:
ran12 wrote:The problem is that there are a ton of scared shitless kids in college who apply to law school and go without really being committed or even understanding what law school and law are really all about. Riding out the economy is a stupid reason for going to law school but that's what way too many people do. Having gone to b-school and going to law school in the Fall, from my experience I would say that b-school is the much safer choice. People are afraid of going to b-school b/c of the economy but if you have a degree from a top b-school, good jobs are out there. Def easier to get a good job out of b-school than law school.


I disagree. In b-school what matters is experience. You have to have 2 things to get into top b-school: 1) decent quantity of work experience, 2) decent quality of work experience. Those things are softs when it comes to law school admission at best. If you have no experience at all and by some miracle you manage to get into decent b-school, you will face very tough time competing with your classmates who have work experience and connections. Besides grades in b-school don't really matter. In law school, although getting a job is just as difficult, if you do well you can secure a job straight out of college.

I agree that to wait it out is a wrong reason to go to law school. It is, however, a wrong reason to go to business school.



Sorry I assumed people would know that you need work experience to go to b-school and succeed in getting a good job. What I was trying to say is that if someone is a good enough student to get into a decent law school, they will prob be able to get a job and after a few years go to b-school.


there are a whole lot of splitters who go to law school...people who do extremely well on aptitude tests but have been underperforming on their GPA for quite a long time. those people are not getting good jobs out of undegrad, but if they want to go to a top law school, it's not too difficult for them.

also, i wouldn't have interpreted the decrease in applications as a sign that people are suddenly cognizant of the risks of law school. i would have interpreted it as the market improving, and people realizing that they don't need to go to law school to get a job.




Return to “Law School FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 1 guest