Is it possible to graduate from law school early? Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
Likwitsnake

New

Is it possible to graduate from law school early?

Post by Likwitsnake » Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:15 am

Can it be done in 2 years as opposed to 3?

jd1969a

New

Re: Is it possible to graduate from law school early?

Post by jd1969a » Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:19 am

I know Southwestern has a program called SCALE that condenses law school down to two years. I would imagine there are other schools doing it as well, but that's the only one I know of.

3ThrowAway99

Gold

Post by 3ThrowAway99 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:20 am

In terms of top schools, I believe Northwestern has an accelerated JD program that takes 2 years.

merc280

Silver

Post by merc280 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:20 am

university of ohio has a 2 year accelerated plan, geared towards people already with jobs who wish to add to their skill set.

jkay

Bronze

Post by jkay » Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:59 am

Sandra Day O'Connor, magna cum laude and editor of the Stanford Law Review...in two years.

So yeah, it's possible.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

sundance95

Gold

Post by sundance95 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:00 am

jkay wrote:Sandra Day O'Connor, magna cum laude and editor of the Stanford Law Review...in two years.

So yeah, it's possible.
That was in what, 1967?

MrPapagiorgio

Gold

Post by MrPapagiorgio » Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:04 am

sundance95 wrote:
jkay wrote:Sandra Day O'Connor, magna cum laude and editor of the Stanford Law Review...in two years.

So yeah, it's possible.
That was in what, 1967?
And it was Sandra Day O'Connor.

Wholigan

Silver

Post by Wholigan » Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:23 am

MrPapagiorgio wrote:
sundance95 wrote:

So yeah, it's possible.
That was in what, 1967?
And it was Sandra Day O'Connor.
It was also a different degree (LL.B) which a lot of people did in two years. You can't compare that to a modern-day J.D.

NoJob

Bronze

Post by NoJob » Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:41 am

Likwitsnake wrote:Can it be done in 2 years as opposed to 3?
The ABA sets the minimum amount of time at 2.5 years. This is so they can get an extra half year's tuition out of you.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

jpSartre

Bronze

Post by jpSartre » Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:48 am

NoJob wrote:
The ABA sets the minimum amount of time at 2.5 years. This is so they can get an extra half year's tuition out of you.
I'm pretty sure 24 months is the minimum.

I've thought of this. depending on how many non-law courses your school allows it is possible with significant summer coursework at the advanced ug or graduate level in other discipline.

I've been told that employers, however, may frown upon this.

NoJob

Bronze

Post by NoJob » Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:18 pm

jpSartre wrote:
NoJob wrote:

I've thought of this. depending on how many non-law courses your school allows it is possible with significant summer coursework at the advanced ug or graduate level in other discipline.

You are indeed right about the 24 month minimum. However, the effect of all their rules makes it really hard to pull off in that time.

Time Limitations: Students may complete their degree requirements “no earlier than 24 months” after commencing law studies (ABA Standard 304(c)). This typically means, for example, were a student to start at the Law School in September 2009, the earliest the student could normally expect to complete all degree requirements and graduate is December 2011 –that is, after five regular semesters of full-time study.

Credit Limitations: New credit enrollment limitations apply to students who commenced law studies in September 2004 and thereafter. Such students are not permitted to be enrolled in more than 18 credits per term. (See ABA Standard 304(e), which forbids enrollment, at any time, in more than 20 percent of the total coursework required for graduation.

Employment: ABA Standard 304(f) for the Approval of Law Schools, to which the Law School is subject, states: A student may not be employed for more than 20 hours per week in any week in which the student is enrolled in more than 12 class hours.

The effect of these rules is to make it almost impossible for a student to graduate in less than 2.5 years at most schools. Also, given that some schools preselect your first year courses that cap you at around 30 credit hours for the first year, I think it would be really hard to pull it off. You can also kiss summer employment good bye.

jd1969a

New

Post by jd1969a » Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:23 am

NoJob wrote:
jpSartre wrote:
NoJob wrote:

You are indeed right about the 24 month minimum. However, the effect of all their rules makes it really hard to pull off in that time.

Time Limitations: Students may complete their degree requirements “no earlier than 24 months” after commencing law studies (ABA Standard 304(c)). This typically means, for example, were a student to start at the Law School in September 2009, the earliest the student could normally expect to complete all degree requirements and graduate is December 2011 –that is, after five regular semesters of full-time study.

Credit Limitations: New credit enrollment limitations apply to students who commenced law studies in September 2004 and thereafter. Such students are not permitted to be enrolled in more than 18 credits per term. (See ABA Standard 304(e), which forbids enrollment, at any time, in more than 20 percent of the total coursework required for graduation.

Employment: ABA Standard 304(f) for the Approval of Law Schools, to which the Law School is subject, states: A student may not be employed for more than 20 hours per week in any week in which the student is enrolled in more than 12 class hours.

The effect of these rules is to make it almost impossible for a student to graduate in less than 2.5 years at most schools. Also, given that some schools preselect your first year courses that cap you at around 30 credit hours for the first year, I think it would be really hard to pull it off. You can also kiss summer employment good bye.
I've actually wondered about this. How does that work with the 2 year programs. Don't they have a full course load in the summer? If so, you'd obviously be right that they couldn't have summer employment, so how do they find jobs post-graduation?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

The Gentleman

Silver

Post by The Gentleman » Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:34 am

merc280 wrote:university of ohio has a 2 year accelerated plan, geared towards people already with jobs who wish to add to their skill set.
What the heck is University of Ohio? Do you mean Ohio University? Because I don't think they have a law school.

NoJob

Bronze

Post by NoJob » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:04 pm

[/quote]

I've actually wondered about this. How does that work with the 2 year programs. Don't they have a full course load in the summer? If so, you'd obviously be right that they couldn't have summer employment, so how do they find jobs post-graduation?[/quote]

It doesn't matter anyways. There arent law jobs out there. Maybe doc review until you are replaced by an Indian or a computer.

MrPapagiorgio

Gold

Post by MrPapagiorgio » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:11 pm

NoJob wrote:It doesn't matter anyways. There arent law jobs out there. Maybe doc review until you are replaced by an Indian or a computer.
Hyperbole to the friggin max.

cinephile

Gold

Post by cinephile » Sun Mar 27, 2011 6:57 pm

The Gentleman wrote:
merc280 wrote:university of ohio has a 2 year accelerated plan, geared towards people already with jobs who wish to add to their skill set.
What the heck is University of Ohio? Do you mean Ohio University? Because I don't think they have a law school.
:lol:

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

ArghItsBlarg

Bronze

Post by ArghItsBlarg » Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:03 am

NoJob wrote:
I've actually wondered about this. How does that work with the 2 year programs. Don't they have a full course load in the summer? If so, you'd obviously be right that they couldn't have summer employment, so how do they find jobs post-graduation?[/quote]

It doesn't matter anyways. There arent law jobs out there. Maybe doc review until you are replaced by an Indian or a computer.[/quote]

Northwestern's accelerated course (Summ/Fall/Spring/Fall/Spring) has you do OCI after your first semester's grades. You do the actual summer employment your second summer.

Bartlebee06

Bronze

Post by Bartlebee06 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:33 pm

It doesn't matter anyways. There arent law jobs out there. Maybe doc review until you are replaced by an Indian or a computer.[/quote]

Does everyone here feel this way about the job market. This post makes me very nervous.

ahduth

Gold

Post by ahduth » Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:38 pm

Bartlebee06 wrote:
It doesn't matter anyways. There arent law jobs out there. Maybe doc review until you are replaced by an Indian or a computer.

Does everyone here feel this way about the job market. This post makes me very nervous.
Naw, I don't feel that way about the job market. I'm worried about picking amongst all the jobs that will be offered to me.

Also: http://www.law.northwestern.edu/academics/ajd/

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”