Religion and Moving in with Girlfriend Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
paratactical

Platinum

Re: Religion and Moving in with Girlfriend

Post by paratactical » Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:35 pm

teleste wrote:1. If you do plan on spending your life with this girl it is a bad idea to ever willfully be on bad terms with her family.

2. If you plan on spending your life with this girl...why not marry her? Start life...build it together, that'd be a very satisfying (albeit arduous and sometimes difficult) experience.

3. IN MY OPINION It is terribly disrespectful to your gf to have her move in without you two getting married first. (Yes, even if she is down with the idea.) You may love each other and be headed in that direction, but, without a marital commitment IT IS MY OPINION you are selfishly using each other for sex/whatever other benefits you get without the fortitude to live up to any real commitment to each other.

OK you hippies out there...here's your open invitation to go ahead and crucify me for my traditional views.
1. I'm no fucking hippie.

2. YOUR OPINIONS are fucking whack.

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:35 pm

teleste wrote:1. If you do plan on spending your life with this girl it is a bad idea to ever willfully be on bad terms with her family.

2. If you plan on spending your life with this girl...why not marry her? Start life...build it together, that'd be a very satisfying (albeit arduous and sometimes difficult) experience.

3. IN MY OPINION It is terribly disrespectful to your gf to have her move in without you two getting married first. (Yes, even if she is down with the idea.) You may love each other and be headed in that direction, but, without a marital commitment IT IS MY OPINION you are selfishly using each other for sex/whatever other benefits you get without the fortitude to live up to any real commitment to each other.

OK you hippies out there...here's your open invitation to go ahead and crucify me for my traditional views.

actually- the more i think about it- the more i would say to get your own place. The stress of moving in will make it rough and you will need some more space

Magnolia

Silver

Post by Magnolia » Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:36 pm

Kohinoor wrote:
northwood wrote:
Magnolia wrote:
northwood wrote:i dont think you want to the be person who is responsible for your girlfriend to stand up to her parents. You may be resented by her when it goes bad, and it will always be a sore subject between you.

To put it in perspective: Its always fun to be the boyfriend of a girl who smokes pot( assuming of course you smoke). However, if you are the boyfriend who introduces her to pot- then the relationship will be always about getting high. She will see you not as a boyfriend who happends to enjoy a hobby that she indulges in, but as a source for pot. I can see this scenario as playing out similrar to this- except you dont get the munchies or high.
This depends on the girl. I distanced myself from my parents at the encouragement of my then-SO, and it was one of the best things I ever did. I never harbored any resentment. In fact, in the times when it was the hardest, I was grateful to have someone there to remind me of why I was doing it and what I was gaining. I probably wouldn't have been able to go through with it on my own.

OTOH, there are girls will who be angry and resentful forever. I hope OP knows which kind of girl he's dating.

That is the deciding factor. Hopefully OP knows ( or has a good idea)
Not looking good considering that he's looking to a pre-law board for relationship advice.
I always wonder why people turn to TLS for romantic advice. Lawyers don't exactly have the best track record for successful relationships.

paratactical

Platinum

Post by paratactical » Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:36 pm

Magnolia wrote:I always wonder why people turn to TLS for romantic advice. Lawyers don't exactly have the best track record for successful relationships.
Neither do the religious.

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:37 pm

marriage is a business deal

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Moral_Midgetry

Silver

Post by Moral_Midgetry » Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:37 pm

TL;DR

Standard response to these type threads is to ditch the chick. Pretty sure it holds here too.

Magnolia

Silver

Post by Magnolia » Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:37 pm

paratactical wrote:
Magnolia wrote:I always wonder why people turn to TLS for romantic advice. Lawyers don't exactly have the best track record for successful relationships.
Truth.

teleste

New

Post by teleste » Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:39 pm

Oh my.
Last edited by teleste on Tue Aug 11, 2015 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

paratactical

Platinum

Post by paratactical » Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:39 pm

Magnolia wrote:
paratactical wrote:
Truth.
My favorite is when they call me a dirty hippie or make comments about how wrong it is to live with someone outside of marriage. It always makes me wonder how long they've been happily married.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

paratactical

Platinum

Post by paratactical » Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:40 pm

teleste wrote: Awesome rebuttal. I'd love to face off with you in court one day.
So how long have you been happily married?

Stringer Bell

Gold

Post by Stringer Bell » Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:40 pm

Sinra wrote: LOL at #3. I repeat: moving in together should be a requirement before marriage. Newsflash: other then legalities and tax status, marriage should ideally not change the relationship whatsoever once it's done.
Marriage does up the stakes on a commitment. I do agree that living together before being married is important.

I was almost engaged several years ago and it fell apart once we moved in together. Finding that out before getting married was valuable. I'm engaged now and felt much better about making that commitment once my girl and I lived together for awhile.

Sinra

Bronze

Post by Sinra » Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:42 pm

Stringer Bell wrote:
Sinra wrote: LOL at #3. I repeat: moving in together should be a requirement before marriage. Newsflash: other then legalities and tax status, marriage should ideally not change the relationship whatsoever once it's done.
Marriage does up the stakes on a commitment.
I disagree. Other than the financial situation (and even that doesn't really have to change necessarily after marriage) and the legality of it...your commitment level should not hinge on whether or not you signed a marriage certificate.

esq

Silver

Post by esq » Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:42 pm

paratactical wrote:
+1, But often the do have the guise - though they are most often miserable together, frenemies "for eternity" (like my parents).

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

teleste

New

Post by teleste » Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:43 pm

Oh my.
Last edited by teleste on Tue Aug 11, 2015 7:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.

paratactical

Platinum

Post by paratactical » Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:44 pm

teleste wrote:PS-What do YOU have against marriage?
I have nothing against marriage. I have everything against religious idealists advocating that people make commitments before they are prepared and informed in the name of some anitquated sensibility.

BackToTheOldHouse

Silver

Post by BackToTheOldHouse » Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:47 pm

paratactical wrote:
I have nothing against marriage. I have everything against religious idealists advocating that people make commitments before they are prepared and informed in the name of some anitquated sensibility.
Yea, people should live together for at least 20 years before deciding to get married. For that matter, they should probably have a few kids as well, you know, to see if it is going to work. Wouldn't want anyone making an uninformed decision based on some antiquated sensibility . . . progress is so cool. 8)

delusional

Silver

Post by delusional » Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:47 pm

paratactical wrote:
teleste wrote: Awesome rebuttal. I'd love to face off with you in court one day.
Eight years this February. When you're finished giving TLS e-BJs, send me a PM and I'll give you some advice.
Last edited by delusional on Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

paratactical

Platinum

Post by paratactical » Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:48 pm

BackToTheOldHouse wrote:
paratactical wrote:
Yea, people should live together for at least 20 years before deciding to get married. For that matter, they should probably have a few kids as well, you know, to see if it is going to work. Wouldn't want anyone making an uninformed decision based on some antiquated sensibility . . . progress is so cool. 8)
Oh yeah. I'm totes all about that. :roll:

All I'm saying is that the idea of you have to get married before you live together or before you can understand your relationship is silly.

Nicholasnickynic

Silver

Post by Nicholasnickynic » Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:49 pm

Sinra wrote:
Danteshek wrote:Living together before marriage can kill the magic in a relationship. I would avoid it if possible.
Moving in with someone should be a requirement before you ever think about getting married.

?? So wait till your married before you kill the magic, because by then your stuck together, so oh well??

paratactical

Platinum

Post by paratactical » Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:49 pm

delusional wrote:
paratactical wrote:
Eight years this February. When your finished giving TLS e-BJs, send me a PM and I'll give you some advice.
:lol:

I've been living with my SO for 7 years come June. I don't need your advice.

Stringer Bell

Gold

Post by Stringer Bell » Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:49 pm

Sinra wrote: I disagree. Other than the financial situation (and even that doesn't really have to change necessarily after marriage) and the legality of it...your commitment level should not hinge on whether or not you signed a marriage certificate.
Whether you actually are more or less committed is debatable, but the level of commitment demonstrated definitely does increase quite a bit.
Last edited by Stringer Bell on Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

fatduck

Gold

Post by fatduck » Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:49 pm

if someone says "kill the magic" again i am going to kill that person, then the magic, then myself.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:49 pm

teleste wrote:To keep on topic...don't move in with each other even if for only the (logical) reason #1 I gave.

Wow. Lil overly sensitive aren't we now? You can think my opinions are 'f**king whack' if you'd like. I have no problem with that...you failed to mention why you think that though. (Thus the sarcastic jab at awesome rebuttal.)

Can't take a little funnin' can you?

Hippie.

PS-What do YOU have against marriage?
So you're saying it makes sense to base your views off of something written by a handful of random people thousands of years ago and the voice in your head that claims to be a higher power?

BackToTheOldHouse

Silver

Post by BackToTheOldHouse » Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:50 pm

paratactical wrote:
BackToTheOldHouse wrote:
paratactical wrote:
Oh yeah. I'm totes all about that. :roll:

All I'm saying is that the idea of you have to live together before getting married before you live together or before you can understand your relationship is silly.
FTFY

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:51 pm

True, but sometimes you have no choice but to piss off stupid people with antiquated views.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”