Texas is now T14

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
Curry

Re: Texas is now T14

Postby Curry » Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:43 am

Can we get a lock on this thread?

User avatar
lisjjen
Posts: 1242
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:19 am

Re: Texas is now T14

Postby lisjjen » Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:45 am

Curry wrote:Can we get a lock on this thread?


You're either a troll or a douche.

ETA: If you don't like where the thread is going, address my first post. If you don't like the thread at all, don't post.
Last edited by lisjjen on Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
birdlaw117
Posts: 2167
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:19 am

Re: Texas is now T14

Postby birdlaw117 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:47 am

flcath wrote:
birdlaw117 wrote:Oh yeah... the one and only lay prestige ranking thread. I think there's only been one of those on TLS right?

Don't worry about it dude, maybe I was just off base. If you've been trolling this whole time, you need to brush up on your skillz. In return, I will brush up on my troll identification skillz

No prob.

As far as trolling goes, I was deeply disappointed that UCI was not ranked this year (ideally in the new 100-150 range). THAT would have been a field day, after all the 'UCI will be top 20' threads and 'UCI is top 8' press releases.

The GULC/UT thing was kinda lame in comparison; I'm not aware of any formal statements by the dean of GULC predicting perpetual T14-ness.

If UCI is anywhere other than 30-40 (meaning either side) it would create some really solid troll potential. But yes, ideally 100-150.

Curry

Re: Texas is now T14

Postby Curry » Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:52 am

lisjjen wrote:
Curry wrote:Can we get a lock on this thread?


You're either a troll or a douche.

ETA: If you don't like where the thread is going, address my first post. If you don't like the thread at all, don't post.

Lets see. You created a thread with an OP that has a message that everyone who actively reads these boards already knows. Your thread has been trolled in almost every post since that. Oh and
lisjjen wrote:I like how this thread has just turned into say whatever the eff you want to.


So. Useless thread. Off topic thread. Not very funny thread.

Yup, I'm a troll or a douche.

User avatar
lisjjen
Posts: 1242
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:19 am

Re: Texas is now T14

Postby lisjjen » Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:59 am

Curry wrote:
lisjjen wrote:
Curry wrote:Can we get a lock on this thread?


You're either a troll or a douche.

ETA: If you don't like where the thread is going, address my first post. If you don't like the thread at all, don't post.

Lets see. You created a thread with an OP that has a message that everyone who actively reads these boards already knows. Your thread has been trolled in almost every post since that. Oh and
lisjjen wrote:I like how this thread has just turned into say whatever the eff you want to.


So. Useless thread. Off topic thread. Not very funny thread.

Yup, I'm a troll or a douche.


OK. I changed my signature back. You want to have a useful discussion?

T14 is nice, but if you wouldn't otherwise go to a school, it shouldn't magically change that. Say you want to go into PI and you get accepted to UC Davis with $50k of debt and UC Berkeley with $200k debt, you shouldn't just suddently go to the T14, yet I see people suggest that all the time.

Texas is technically in the top 14 now. That technically makes it top 14. But nothing fundamental has changed about it overnight. If you had good reason to go before, you still have good reason to go now. If you didn't have good reason to go before, you still don't. Just like the rest of the T14.

Curry

Re: Texas is now T14

Postby Curry » Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:00 am

I don't think anybody is arguing with you on your assessment of Texas.

User avatar
lisjjen
Posts: 1242
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:19 am

Re: Texas is now T14

Postby lisjjen » Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:01 am

Curry wrote:I don't think anybody is arguing with you on your assessment of Texas.


I was trying to extend that logic to the other 13. And either everybody agrees with me on that, or they haven't addressed it.

Curry

Re: Texas is now T14

Postby Curry » Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:07 am

lisjjen wrote:
Curry wrote:I don't think anybody is arguing with you on your assessment of Texas.


I was trying to extend that logic to the other 13. And either everybody agrees with me on that, or they haven't addressed it.

The difference between Davis and Cal is worth the cost if you want PI. Boalt has an LRAP program that will cover you if you work PI. Thats why it makes sense to choose Cal over Davis. If the difference is GULC and Cornell, you may have a point.

User avatar
lisjjen
Posts: 1242
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:19 am

Re: Texas is now T14

Postby lisjjen » Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:13 am

Curry wrote:
lisjjen wrote:
Curry wrote:I don't think anybody is arguing with you on your assessment of Texas.


I was trying to extend that logic to the other 13. And either everybody agrees with me on that, or they haven't addressed it.

The difference between Davis and Cal is worth the cost if you want PI. Boalt has an LRAP program that will cover you if you work PI. Thats why it makes sense to choose Cal over Davis. If the difference is GULC and Cornell, you may have a point.


So Berkely has a baller LRAP. Bad example.

Let's say sticker at Michigan vs 2/3rd COA at UMN.

Curry

Re: Texas is now T14

Postby Curry » Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:16 am

lisjjen wrote:
Curry wrote:
lisjjen wrote:
Curry wrote:I don't think anybody is arguing with you on your assessment of Texas.


I was trying to extend that logic to the other 13. And either everybody agrees with me on that, or they haven't addressed it.

The difference between Davis and Cal is worth the cost if you want PI. Boalt has an LRAP program that will cover you if you work PI. Thats why it makes sense to choose Cal over Davis. If the difference is GULC and Cornell, you may have a point.


So Berkely has a baller LRAP. Bad example.

Let's say sticker at Michigan vs 2/3rd COA at UMN.

Michigan has a great LRAP as well...

User avatar
lisjjen
Posts: 1242
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:19 am

Re: Texas is now T14

Postby lisjjen » Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:22 am

Curry wrote:Michigan has a great LRAP as well...


Not as great. The whole... you aren't expected to contribute to your loan payments if you make less than 65k thing is pretty awesome.

But yeah, T13/14/15/17/18 have pretty baller LRAPs. And employment stats. And campuses (mostly). And teachers. etc.

I know that schools in that range are awesome. But rankings shouldn't be your deciding factor. You should go to Michigan because it's a world class university, not because it's ranked #7. Alternatively, you should go to Northern Illinois because your Dad and your brother went and you care about legacy, have a job lined up afterwards and are going for free.

The point is, the number next to a name is not what makes a school worth going to. There's a correlation, but it isn't a perfect correlary.

User avatar
lisjjen
Posts: 1242
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:19 am

Re: Texas is now T14

Postby lisjjen » Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:25 am

While we're on the subject of ranking not equaling better programs, USC has a WAY better LRAP program than Texas.

Curry

Re: Texas is now T14

Postby Curry » Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:43 am

I don't know who you're arguing with

User avatar
lisjjen
Posts: 1242
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:19 am

Re: Texas is now T14

Postby lisjjen » Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:24 am

Curry wrote:I don't know who you're arguing with


No one would ever explicitly make this argument, but we've both been on this site long enough to know exactly who I'm arguing with.

whymeohgodno
Posts: 2508
Joined: Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:15 pm

Re: Texas is now T14

Postby whymeohgodno » Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:03 am

Top 14 in my book was schools that have been in the top 10. Texas isn't a t14. The highest they have been ranked is 11.

Zeus
Posts: 14
Joined: Tue Feb 08, 2011 3:57 pm

Re: Texas is now T14

Postby Zeus » Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:42 am

whymeohgodno wrote:Top 14 in my book was schools that have been in the top 10. Texas isn't a t14. The highest they have been ranked is 11.



First, I don't know where you got this definition of T14. Check out Wikipedia on the subject. Both on the definition of T14 and on the Texas issue. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Law_school_rankings_in_the_United_States#Schools_that_consistently_rank_in_the_top_14

Second, Texas has NEVER been ranked 11th.

Third, its time to embrace T13

whymeohgodno
Posts: 2508
Joined: Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:15 pm

Re: Texas is now T14

Postby whymeohgodno » Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:38 am

Zeus wrote:
whymeohgodno wrote:Top 14 in my book was schools that have been in the top 10. Texas isn't a t14. The highest they have been ranked is 11.



First, I don't know where you got this definition of T14. Check out Wikipedia on the subject. Both on the definition of T14 and on the Texas issue. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Law_school_rankings_in_the_United_States#Schools_that_consistently_rank_in_the_top_14

Second, Texas has NEVER been ranked 11th.

Third, its time to embrace T13


First, wikipedia has been wrong before.

Second, Texas was ranked 11th on the very first issue of USNWR.

Third, I wholeheartedly agree.

User avatar
Alex-Trof
Posts: 528
Joined: Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:42 am

Re: Texas is now T14

Postby Alex-Trof » Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:42 am

I can't find any stats on how Texas places in firms outside of Texas. To access if Texas is T14 it would be helpful to see how big is its reach. Does anyone have specific current numbers on students who went to work for firms outside of Texas?

nonprofit-prophet
Posts: 844
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:10 am

Re: Texas is now T14

Postby nonprofit-prophet » Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:46 am

Alex-Trof wrote:I can't find any stats on how Texas places in firms outside of Texas. To access if Texas is T14 it would be helpful to see how big is its reach. Does anyone have specific current numbers on students who went to work for firms outside of Texas?



Texas mainly places in Texas. Probably a good deal of self-selection. Berkley places mostly in Cali, does that make it any less T-14?

whymeohgodno
Posts: 2508
Joined: Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:15 pm

Re: Texas is now T14

Postby whymeohgodno » Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:48 am

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=213

Texas has been ranked #11 before. Definition of T14 are schools that have been in the T10, not schools that are currently T14.

Or else T14 would have included Texas since the 1980s.

User avatar
Alex-Trof
Posts: 528
Joined: Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:42 am

Re: Texas is now T14

Postby Alex-Trof » Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:49 am

nonprofit-prophet wrote:
Alex-Trof wrote:I can't find any stats on how Texas places in firms outside of Texas. To access if Texas is T14 it would be helpful to see how big is its reach. Does anyone have specific current numbers on students who went to work for firms outside of Texas?



Texas mainly places in Texas. Probably a good deal of self-selection. Berkley places mostly in Cali, does that make it any less T-14?


True, but Berkeley does have a good name recognition elsewhere. Top 25-50% of Berkeley's class can probably find desirable work outside of Cali. Can same be said about Texas?

Curry

Re: Texas is now T14

Postby Curry » Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:46 pm

Berkeley places most of its grads in CA due to self selection. If those grads wanted NYC they would get them (assuming they had the grades). Berkeley is a national school, Texas is not. This is fact.

User avatar
DoubleChecks
Posts: 2333
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:35 pm

Re: Texas is now T14

Postby DoubleChecks » Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:47 pm

Alex-Trof wrote:
nonprofit-prophet wrote:
Alex-Trof wrote:I can't find any stats on how Texas places in firms outside of Texas. To access if Texas is T14 it would be helpful to see how big is its reach. Does anyone have specific current numbers on students who went to work for firms outside of Texas?



Texas mainly places in Texas. Probably a good deal of self-selection. Berkley places mostly in Cali, does that make it any less T-14?


True, but Berkeley does have a good name recognition elsewhere. Top 25-50% of Berkeley's class can probably find desirable work outside of Cali. Can same be said about Texas?


I understand your premise, but the question is flawed. Maybe Berk is just a better school with overall placement and thus top 50% can find work outside of Cali. It'd be like saying, if only Berk's top25% could place in NYC and SLS's top 70% could, Berk is not "T14" enough lol.

But to answer your 'real' question...ITE, I have no idea, but pre-ITE, UT grads finding work outside of TX was very realistic if they grades and inclination were there. So name recognition at least used to be good enough.

User avatar
DoubleChecks
Posts: 2333
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:35 pm

Re: Texas is now T14

Postby DoubleChecks » Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:49 pm

Curry wrote:Berkeley places most of its grads in CA due to self selection. If those grads wanted NYC they would get them (assuming they had the grades). Berkeley is a national school, Texas is not. This is fact.


FTFY

refer to my above post -- Berk prob has better national placement, but it is also a higher ranked school (not to say i only want to go on rankings here, but at least as a proxy). I could say the same thing (at least pre-ITE, i really dont know ITE...one way or the other)..."Texas places most of its grads in TX due to self selection. If those grads wanted NYC they would get them (assuming they had the grades)...This is fact."

Curry

Re: Texas is now T14

Postby Curry » Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:50 pm

DoubleChecks wrote:
Curry wrote:Berkeley places most of its grads in CA due to self selection. If those grads wanted NYC they would get them (assuming they had the grades). Berkeley is a national school, Texas is not. This is fact.


FTFY

refer to my above post -- Berk prob has better national placement, but it is also a higher ranked school (not to say i only want to go on rankings here, but at least as a proxy). I could say the same thing (at least pre-ITE, i really dont know ITE...one way or the other)..."Texas places most of its grads in TX due to self selection. If those grads wanted NYC they would get them (assuming they had the grades)...This is fact."

See the problem here is, what you crossed out is actually correct and what you didn't cross out is full of bullshit.




Return to “Law School FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest