Texas is now T14

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
jhw123

Re: Texas is now T14

Postby jhw123 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:49 am

Alex-Trof wrote:
nonprofit-prophet wrote:
Alex-Trof wrote:I can't find any stats on how Texas places in firms outside of Texas. To access if Texas is T14 it would be helpful to see how big is its reach. Does anyone have specific current numbers on students who went to work for firms outside of Texas?

Texas mainly places in Texas. Probably a good deal of self-selection. Berkley places mostly in Cali, does that make it any less T-14?

True, but Berkeley does have a good name recognition elsewhere. Top 25-50% of Berkeley's class can probably find desirable work outside of Cali. Can same be said about Texas?

A little, somewhat unrelated anecdote. After I was accepted to a top liberal arts college, I mentioned where I was attending (as you do) when asked (all the time). No one had heard of my college. No one. Many thought it was a community college. Skip to my years in college, visiting other friends at top schools; everyone had heard of it. Now, one could make the obvious point that they, as former top college hopefuls, checked the rankings. Of course they did. Applying to a top college, or a top law school in this case, changes things. You learn which schools are "good" and which schools are "not." Hence, the answer to, "can I get a good job after graduation" rests little on what you thought of such-and-such school before you started thinking of law school. In other words, go Texas! ( Yet, I will concede that many older attorneys may not be familiar with the T14).

lisjjen

Postby lisjjen » Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:52 pm

Also, this.

flcath

Postby flcath » Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:34 am

jhw123 wrote:
Alex-Trof wrote:
nonprofit-prophet wrote:
Alex-Trof wrote:I can't find any stats on how Texas places in firms outside of Texas. To access if Texas is T14 it would be helpful to see how big is its reach. Does anyone have specific current numbers on students who went to work for firms outside of Texas?

Texas mainly places in Texas. Probably a good deal of self-selection. Berkley places mostly in Cali, does that make it any less T-14?

True, but Berkeley does have a good name recognition elsewhere. Top 25-50% of Berkeley's class can probably find desirable work outside of Cali. Can same be said about Texas?

A little, somewhat unrelated anecdote. After I was accepted to a top liberal arts college, I mentioned where I was attending (as you do) when asked (all the time). No one had heard of my college. No one. Many thought it was a community college. Skip to my years in college, visiting other friends at top schools; everyone had heard of it. Now, one could make the obvious point that they, as former top college hopefuls, checked the rankings. Of course they did. Applying to a top college, or a top law school in this case, changes things. You learn which schools are "good" and which schools are "not." Hence, the answer to, "can I get a good job after graduation" rests little on what you thought of such-and-such school before you started thinking of law school. In other words, go Texas! ( Yet, I will concede that many older attorneys may not be familiar with the T14).

This is probably closer to how it works IRL. Meaning, the *school in* the T14 are all gonna be highly respected, but you're gonna have trouble finding ppl who make the bright line distinction.

As you go down from Biglaw (and bear in mind, you will one day), it gets even more informal. Guys practicing in North FL and Tampa obviously know that HYSC are great school, and are likely vaguely aware that Michigan and Georgetown and UVa are top law schools. But give them 6 schools--Mich, Vanderbilt, GULC, NYU, ND, W&M, UF--that we could all rank in a heartbeat and ask them to rank them, and I think you'd be surprised at some of the selections.

That's just a feeling I got during my conversations w/ 4 lawyers (in the aforementioned areas) while I was applying, and I obviously did not ask them to rank LSs.

Return to “Law School FAQ”