Texas is now T14 Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
lisjjen

Silver

Texas is now T14

Post by lisjjen » Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:21 pm

And T14 is as terrible of a reason to go to a school as ever. It's ambiguous. It's socially constructed. It doesn't overide the actual factors that you should make your decision on and it never did.

Somebody had to say it.

Grizz

Diamond

Re: Texas is now T14

Post by Grizz » Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:35 pm

Dude T14 is important because there are only 14 (now 15, yay Texas!) national schools and no other schools place graduates in different regions of the country.

formerbiglawpartner

New

Post by formerbiglawpartner » Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:39 pm

Great news for UT which was already the top school in one of the top economies/legal markets in the country. Now it will expand its national range. UT should only continue moving up in these rankings (for what they are worth) under their new dean, formerly from NYU. He's positioning the school to be THE place for practice in Latin America, one of the main markets in the 21st century. Not sure if they've formally announced the program yet, but they have established a program with ITAM, one of the most prestigious universities in Mexico (Pres. Calderon went there) so that students can attend their third year yet graduate from UT. If you attend a second year at ITAM for law, you will be licensed in Mexico. They are looking at similar programs in Argentina and Brazil. As a project [url=https://www.lawcrossing.com/article/900007791/What-it-is-Like-to-be-a-Banking-and-Commercial-Finance-Attorney/]Finance Attorney[/url], the only places you do deals where English doesn't govern the transaction documents are Spanish and Portuguese-speaking countries. Brilliant strategy on the part of UT Law!

alexonfyre

Bronze

Post by alexonfyre » Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:43 pm

ITT: People who don't understand what T14 actually means.

Being tied for 14th doesn't make you T14. Even if there weren't a tie, it would become the T13 and G'town would no longer be included.

EDIT: for noting sarcasm of Rad Law.

lisjjen

Silver

Post by lisjjen » Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:24 pm

formerbiglawpartner wrote:Great news for UT which was already the top school in one of the top economies/legal markets in the country. Now it will expand its national range. UT should only continue moving up in these rankings (for what they are worth) under their new dean, formerly from NYU. He's positioning the school to be THE place for practice in Latin America, one of the main markets in the 21st century. Not sure if they've formally announced the program yet, but they have established a program with ITAM, one of the most prestigious universities in Mexico (Pres. Calderon went there) so that students can attend their third year yet graduate from UT. If you attend a second year at ITAM for law, you will be licensed in Mexico. They are looking at similar programs in Argentina and Brazil. As a project finance attorney, the only places you do deals where English doesn't govern the transaction documents are Spanish and Portuguese-speaking countries. Brilliant strategy on the part of UT Law!
That's effing awesome. I love Latin culture. I'll have to ask them about this when I'm down there in a week.
alexonfyre wrote:ITT: People who don't understand what T14 actually means.

Being tied for 14th doesn't make you T14. Even if there weren't a tie, it would become the T13 and G'town would no longer be included.

You may have mised what I was trying to say 100%

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

alexonfyre

Bronze

Post by alexonfyre » Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:40 pm

lisjjen wrote:
formerbiglawpartner wrote:Great news for UT which was already the top school in one of the top economies/legal markets in the country. Now it will expand its national range. UT should only continue moving up in these rankings (for what they are worth) under their new dean, formerly from NYU. He's positioning the school to be THE place for practice in Latin America, one of the main markets in the 21st century. Not sure if they've formally announced the program yet, but they have established a program with ITAM, one of the most prestigious universities in Mexico (Pres. Calderon went there) so that students can attend their third year yet graduate from UT. If you attend a second year at ITAM for law, you will be licensed in Mexico. They are looking at similar programs in Argentina and Brazil. As a project finance attorney, the only places you do deals where English doesn't govern the transaction documents are Spanish and Portuguese-speaking countries. Brilliant strategy on the part of UT Law!
That's effing awesome. I love Latin culture. I'll have to ask them about this when I'm down there in a week.
alexonfyre wrote:ITT: People who don't understand what T14 actually means.

You may have mised what I was trying to say 100%
Or you misread me. I was predicting what was coming based on the responses so far. Granted only one of them fit my description, but I stand by my conviction.

DoubleChecks

Gold

Post by DoubleChecks » Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:45 pm

can i say i called it? (to be fair, i call UT going into T14 every yr haha) -- but i mean, i never understood why ppl thought UCLA would beat UT to the T14, though Dean Sager truly is a beast to make UT a T14 this quickly

hook'em!

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:58 pm

DoubleChecks wrote:can i say i called it? (to be fair, i call UT going into T14 every yr haha) -- but i mean, i never understood why ppl thought UCLA would beat UT to the T14, though Dean Sager truly is a beast to make UT a T14 this quickly

hook'em!
Yeah this is great! Going from a school ranked 15 and busting into the rarefied air of T14 gives you tons more firms at OCI, and your chance of CoA clerkships double.

birdlaw117

Gold

Post by birdlaw117 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:01 pm

rad law wrote:
DoubleChecks wrote:can i say i called it? (to be fair, i call UT going into T14 every yr haha) -- but i mean, i never understood why ppl thought UCLA would beat UT to the T14, though Dean Sager truly is a beast to make UT a T14 this quickly

hook'em!
Yeah this is great! Going from a school ranked 15 and busting into the rarefied air of T14 gives you tons more firms at OCI, and your chance of CoA clerkships double triple.
FTFY :wink:

Don't sell that T-14 ranking short!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

DoubleChecks

Gold

Post by DoubleChecks » Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:27 pm

rad law wrote:

hook'em!
Yeah this is great! Going from a school ranked 15 and busting into the rarefied air of T14 gives you tons more firms at OCI, and your chance of CoA clerkships double.
chyeah yeah, you're not from TX huh? :P

but on a more serious note, like many things in life, it is a symbolic victory lol

flcath

Silver

Post by flcath » Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:34 pm

UT students will now be guaranteed Biglaw spots, just as GULC grads are.

yngblkgifted

Silver

Post by yngblkgifted » Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:39 pm

You guys are all lame. It's Yale or bust.

flcath

Silver

Post by flcath » Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:52 pm

yngblkgifted wrote:You guys are all lame. It's Yale or bust.
You show me a YLS student, and I'll show you an HBS reject.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

lisjjen

Silver

Post by lisjjen » Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:57 pm

flcath wrote:
That sounds like a lot of generalizations piled on top of each other. I would say it's like comparing apples to oranges, but it's more like comparing zuchinis to Corvettes.

flcath

Silver

Post by flcath » Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:00 am

lisjjen wrote:
flcath wrote:
That sounds like a lot of generalizations piled on top of each other. I would say it's like comparing apples to oranges, but it's more like comparing zuchinis to Corvettes.
Bullshit. HBS kids are superior in every way.

The only similarity b/t HBS kids and YLS kids is that they're both self-conscious and bitter over their JHU med school rejections.

lisjjen

Silver

Post by lisjjen » Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:05 am

flcath wrote:
lisjjen wrote:
flcath wrote:
Bullshit. HBS kids are superior in every way.

The only similarity b/t HBS kids and YLS kids is that they're both self-conscious and bitter over their JHU med school rejections.
But of course, all of the above cry at night because they really just wanted a PhD from ITAM.

alexonfyre

Bronze

Post by alexonfyre » Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:15 am

lisjjen wrote:
flcath wrote: Bullshit. HBS kids are superior in every way.

But of course, all of the above cry at night because they really just wanted a PhD from ITAM.
However, nothing compares to the pain of your Rejection letter from RISD's MFA program.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Zeus

New

Post by Zeus » Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:23 am

I don't think you guys get it. One of the primary reasons the T14 was special was because it had never been broken into by any non-members. Texas entering the "T14" negates the significance of the "T14."

Texas is now one of the top 14 law schools in America, however the term T14 carries significantly less weight now. So, congratulations? I guess?

Zeus

New

Post by Zeus » Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:24 am

Oh.

I meant to add: Bye bye T14, bye bye GULC. Hello T13, don't blow it Cornell.

lisjjen

Silver

Post by lisjjen » Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:10 am

Zeus wrote:Oh.

It's a shame that people only read the bottom posts on a thread. I'm making a point. So what if those schools have never dropped below the T14? There's nothing magical about them. There's partners at Latham & Watkins from University of Minnesota and unemployed people from Yale (like literally, I know this guy personally). T14 should never be a deciding factor in where you go, and it never should have been.

Say whatever you want, so long as you actually engage the thread.

androstan

Gold

Post by androstan » Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:21 am

radlaw is the only person ITT saying anything intelligent.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

lisjjen

Silver

Post by lisjjen » Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:33 am

androstan wrote:radlaw is the only person ITT saying anything intelligent.
What's new?

DoubleChecks

Gold

Post by DoubleChecks » Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:02 pm

lisjjen wrote:

It's a shame that people only read the bottom posts on a thread. I'm making a point. So what if those schools have never dropped below the T14? There's nothing magical about them. There's partners at Latham & Watkins from University of Minnesota and unemployed people from Yale (like literally, I know this guy personally). T14 should never be a deciding factor in where you go, and it never should have been.

Say whatever you want, so long as you actually engage the thread.
i think people are arguing completely different things

im serious when i say the T14 being broken is a significant symbolic change...of course T14 isn't magical on its own...and it would be silly for ppl who would NOT have considered UT before to now suddenly go...but they're in the T14! lol, is anyone ITT even really arguing for that?

Malcolm8X

Bronze

Post by Malcolm8X » Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:11 pm

Lol!

FiveSermon

Gold

Post by FiveSermon » Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:32 pm

Cornell is now the gatekeeper until it inevitably becomes t12. Till then GTown can sit with those festering TTT17's.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”