Will unemployment be a burden during OCI

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
User avatar
drmguy
Posts: 1016
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:43 am

Will unemployment be a burden during OCI

Postby drmguy » Sat Mar 12, 2011 4:32 am

Concerned 0L here...I have been unemployed for 7 months now and school is coming up "soon."

I can obviously lessen the damage by using years rather than months but my question is about the short amount of time until school starts. Should I try to get any internship for a few months before moving?

Also, will this unemployment be a huge burden for law school summer and post law school employment?


Thanks

User avatar
Veyron
Posts: 3598
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:50 am

Re: Will unemployment be a burden during OCI

Postby Veyron » Sat Mar 12, 2011 4:33 am

drmguy wrote:Concerned 0L here...I have been unemployed for 7 months now and school is coming up "soon."

I can obviously lessen the damage by using years rather than months but my question is about the short amount of time until school starts. Should I try to get any internship for a few months before moving?

Also, will this unemployment be a huge burden for law school summer and post law school employment?


Thanks


Yes, it will, resume gaps are no good. Also no good is if you got laid off.

User avatar
Kohinoor
Posts: 2756
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:51 pm

Re: Will unemployment be a burden during OCI

Postby Kohinoor » Sat Mar 12, 2011 4:36 am

It's not good and you will get called out on it. An internship will help.

User avatar
drmguy
Posts: 1016
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:43 am

Re: Will unemployment be a burden during OCI

Postby drmguy » Sat Mar 12, 2011 5:11 am

Being the newest employee after a budget reduction was no good.

One of my LORs was from this employer.

User avatar
TTH
Posts: 10384
Joined: Mon May 04, 2009 1:14 am

Re: Will unemployment be a burden during OCI

Postby TTH » Sat Mar 12, 2011 12:22 pm

I'm not sure if Veyron or Kohinoor are messing with you or if my viewpoint is just not mainstream, but I don't think a seven-month gap in employment prior to coming to law school is anything to worry about. If nothing else, you can play it off that you left your job early to prep for the LSAT.

Hell, I didn't even list my entire work history on my resume, just the "grown up" jobs I've had. There are gaps in my resume as a result, and it hasn't even come up in interviews.

Turtledove
Posts: 74
Joined: Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:31 pm

Re: Will unemployment be a burden during OCI

Postby Turtledove » Sat Mar 12, 2011 1:01 pm

You should find something, even if its unpaid. I had a 9 month gap on my resume between my last professional job and starting law school. The majority of my OCI interviewers asked me about the gap in my resume. My interviewers seemed satisfied once I explained that I held a service job and an internship during the gap, but I'm not sure the outcome would have been so positive if I said I hadn't done anything during that time period.

User avatar
Kohinoor
Posts: 2756
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:51 pm

Re: Will unemployment be a burden during OCI

Postby Kohinoor » Sat Mar 12, 2011 1:07 pm

TTH wrote:I'm not sure if Veyron or Kohinoor are messing with you or if my viewpoint is just not mainstream, but I don't think a seven-month gap in employment prior to coming to law school is anything to worry about. If nothing else, you can play it off that you left your job early to prep for the LSAT.

Hell, I didn't even list my entire work history on my resume, just the "grown up" jobs I've had. There are gaps in my resume as a result, and it hasn't even come up in interviews.

I'm not messing with him, I had a gap after being the newest hire at a poorly managed firm. They might not hold the layoff against you, but they will ask about the gap itself and you better have a better story than 'I spent the time masturbating aggressively.' In my experience they breeze over gaps from years before caused by only listing 'grown up jobs' but gaps in the last few years are subject to scrutiny.

Oracl3
Posts: 39
Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:57 pm

Re: Will unemployment be a burden during OCI

Postby Oracl3 » Sat Mar 12, 2011 1:10 pm

visit some friends. tell them you decided you wanted to travel before law school.

Scurredsitless1
Posts: 284
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:47 pm

Re: Will unemployment be a burden during OCI

Postby Scurredsitless1 » Sat Mar 12, 2011 1:18 pm

There are ways to hide small gaps in employment on your resume, like only listing years and not the months. There is a chapter in "Guerrilla Tactics for finding legal jobs" on this. You should never lie, but being less specific about dates can completely mask this gap. The book also talks about how to address it when asked.

Good Luck.

EricBerry
Posts: 247
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:52 pm

Re: Will unemployment be a burden during OCI

Postby EricBerry » Sat Mar 12, 2011 3:21 pm

Random question, sorry: I'm currently working a paid legal job. Should I get my employer to write a rec for me for my 1L/2L job search or would listing his contact info on a reference list be adequate?

User avatar
dood
Posts: 1639
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:59 am

Re: Will unemployment be a burden during OCI

Postby dood » Sat Mar 12, 2011 3:25 pm

EricBerry wrote:Random question, sorry: I'm currently working a paid legal job. Should I get my employer to write a rec for me for my 1L/2L job search or would listing his contact info on a reference list be adequate?


#2. And rarely do they even check.

User avatar
KingRajesh
Posts: 117
Joined: Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:39 pm

Re: Will unemployment be a burden during OCI

Postby KingRajesh » Sat Mar 12, 2011 4:45 pm

There's a nice big hole from June 10 -> Dec 10 on my resume.

It's only been asked about once, and I just say that I was preparing to do volunteer work for a month in Haiti, and it always gets points. :)

Should I leave the hole on my resume so they DO ask about it?

User avatar
drmguy
Posts: 1016
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:43 am

Re: Will unemployment be a burden during OCI

Postby drmguy » Sat Mar 12, 2011 5:12 pm

So should I try to find an internship for ~3 months or should I do something else?

EricBerry
Posts: 247
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:52 pm

Re: Will unemployment be a burden during OCI

Postby EricBerry » Sat Mar 12, 2011 6:13 pm

drmguy wrote:So should I try to find an internship for ~3 months or should I do something else?


What's more important to you--- earning a couple thousand dollars working a random job or having something relevant on your resume to talk about in an interview? I chose the second and after starting as an unpaid intern, I was offered a very competitive hourly wage. Even if I didn't start getting paid, I still think it would have been the right choice.

sullidop
Posts: 351
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2008 8:02 pm

Re: Will unemployment be a burden during OCI

Postby sullidop » Sat Mar 12, 2011 6:23 pm

drmguy wrote:So should I try to find an internship for ~3 months or should I do something else?


Just get something for a little bit, even if it's one day a week volunteering, while you're looking for a job. It'll show enthusiasm and give you something to put on the resume. Realistically, they'll talk more about your 1L job so don't worry too much about the quality of the internship...they just want to know that you weren't sitting in your butt for a year (they don't care about the economy because volunteer positions are easy to get).

Kaves
Posts: 56
Joined: Mon Aug 30, 2010 3:54 am

Re: Will unemployment be a burden during OCI

Postby Kaves » Sat Mar 12, 2011 8:04 pm

Interesting question with regard to unemployment. If I spent a year after graduation prior to law school trading stocks on the forex market and playing poker and I spun it in a way that I traveled/traded at OCI would this be a reasonable gap filler?

User avatar
Kohinoor
Posts: 2756
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:51 pm

Re: Will unemployment be a burden during OCI

Postby Kohinoor » Sun Mar 13, 2011 3:57 pm

Kaves wrote:Interesting question with regard to unemployment. If I spent a year after graduation prior to law school trading stocks on the forex market and playing poker and I spun it in a way that I traveled/traded at OCI would this be a reasonable gap filler?
Play up the forex side but yeah.

sparty99
Posts: 1433
Joined: Sat Dec 11, 2010 8:41 pm

Re: Will unemployment be a burden during OCI

Postby sparty99 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:30 am

It'll only be an issue if you don't find any employment - including working as a waiter or at a bar. They will want to know that you at least did something productive rather than sit on your butt watching Oprah.

I have been in this situation and while I was able to find employment (eventually), I was told by a recruiter that I should probably get a job at the mall (I did) and there were many times where people asked, "what are you doing now?" You definitely want to have a story to tell. Volunteering or delivering pizza can easily help with this gap and shouldn't pose a problem long term.

sparty99
Posts: 1433
Joined: Sat Dec 11, 2010 8:41 pm

Re: Will unemployment be a burden during OCI

Postby sparty99 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:32 am

sullidop wrote:
drmguy wrote:So should I try to find an internship for ~3 months or should I do something else?


Just get something for a little bit, even if it's one day a week volunteering, while you're looking for a job. It'll show enthusiasm and give you something to put on the resume. Realistically, they'll talk more about your 1L job so don't worry too much about the quality of the internship...they just want to know that you weren't sitting in your butt for a year (they don't care about the economy because volunteer positions are easy to get).


+1,000

User avatar
risktaker
Posts: 687
Joined: Tue Sep 22, 2009 3:10 pm

Re: Will unemployment be a burden during OCI

Postby risktaker » Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:58 am

Is this for real? I am not being sarcastic. I thought it really doesn't matter if there's like a year or less of a gap on ur resume. I quit my job in December 2010 and have not been working since. I just thought I would dedicate this time to relaxing and traveling/learning a new language before law school starts. If I just told employers that i traveled and learned a language during the 7 or so months before law school, would it be a bad thing? Should I be trying to find a volunteer position instead?

sparty99
Posts: 1433
Joined: Sat Dec 11, 2010 8:41 pm

Re: Will unemployment be a burden during OCI

Postby sparty99 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:43 am

It's very real...If you're young, you have a greater chance of "spinning" it to your favor and I wouldn't be too concerned. However, they will wonder why you quit your job. They will immediately think - did he quit or get fired? Or, will he quit one year into this demanding job to relax on a beach in Thailand?

Saying you traveled and learned a new language can be plausible, but certainly gaps in the resume are not welcomed in corporate America. Any gap over three months is a cause for concern and despite the fact that many corporations will lay you off in a heart beat, companies still look at gaps with a leary eye.

I've been in this situation and wouldn't lose any sleep over it, but just know this is how America reacts and be prepared to address this situation with confidence.

haveaniceday111
Posts: 31
Joined: Sat Jul 05, 2008 3:29 pm

Re: Will unemployment be a burden during OCI

Postby haveaniceday111 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:02 am

risktaker wrote:Is this for real? I am not being sarcastic. I thought it really doesn't matter if there's like a year or less of a gap on ur resume. I quit my job in December 2010 and have not been working since. I just thought I would dedicate this time to relaxing and traveling/learning a new language before law school starts. If I just told employers that i traveled and learned a language during the 7 or so months before law school, would it be a bad thing? Should I be trying to find a volunteer position instead?


I've asked more than one employer/person in a position of power (State Dept official, corporate lawyer, law firm admin) about this scenario, and, while it might not be representative of all companies or corporate America, they were universally supportive of people doing something like that. Is it a gap? Yes. But traveling and learning a language is worlds apart (no pun intended) than sitting at home wondering what to do with your life.

The reason why they were excited and and actually encouraging of it is that they understand that while you're young (I'm just assuming your prob in your 20s, if you're not I apologize) it's the best time to do it and "get it out of your system." They've met so many people in their offices that wish they had been able to travel/backpack/volunteer abroad and learn a new language when they had their chance. (a bit of background info - I'm a currently a Peace Corps volunteer, and this played a pretty significant role in my decision to join.) Once you start law school/get a job, you'll have more things tying you down (marriage, house payment, car, kids, debt, etc), so grabbing life the balls, I think, is a good thing.

Another reason why it matters (in a good way) is that even if it's not an "official" position like interning/volunteering, people will know that it'll make you a more well-rounded person, and that you'll probably be more interesting to be around compared to the people that just shot through school/job to job (nothing wrong with that either though.) And in the long run, you'll be happy with yourself for having a cool experience and having another language (a very rewarding, not to mention marketable skill to have.)

Another quick side note: my older brother got laid off from one of his jobs in the early 2000s, and in the next year he decided to work as a snowboard instructor. It had nothing to do with his profession, but he took a year to do something different and follow his passion. When he started interviewing for jobs, that "off" year only worked in his favor. (Again, not to be representative of all people/jobs, but still something to think about.)

Honestly, if it comes up in an interview (which after law school isn't very likely), they'll probably be excited/interested to hear about your travels.

And, I think most future employers would be somewhat sympathetic to jobseekers ITE. But I could be wrong, of course. In the end I think it's all what the reasons of why you did something over what you actually did, both personally and professionally.

User avatar
rayiner
Posts: 6184
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:43 am

Re: Will unemployment be a burden during OCI

Postby rayiner » Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:13 am

Veyron wrote:
drmguy wrote:Concerned 0L here...I have been unemployed for 7 months now and school is coming up "soon."

I can obviously lessen the damage by using years rather than months but my question is about the short amount of time until school starts. Should I try to get any internship for a few months before moving?

Also, will this unemployment be a huge burden for law school summer and post law school employment?


Thanks


Yes, it will, resume gaps are no good. Also no good is if you got laid off.


I had a 6 month vacation on my resume, nobody cared.

User avatar
Hattori Hanzo
Posts: 659
Joined: Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:17 am

Re: Will unemployment be a burden during OCI

Postby Hattori Hanzo » Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:12 pm

Anecdotal: I have a pretty big gap (1+ yr) on my resume. I had 3 interviews for 1L summer associate and nobody asked about it. I am not sure if in the end it would have affected my chances because I accepted a PI position the day after the last interview (2 days after the first) and told the firms I wan't interested anymore.

Edit: this of course wasn't the big OCI but a small Spring Interview Program (SIP), on campus for 1Ls and 2Ls.

User avatar
Kohinoor
Posts: 2756
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:51 pm

Re: Will unemployment be a burden during OCI

Postby Kohinoor » Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:48 pm

Hattori Hanzo wrote:Anecdotal: I have a pretty big gap (1+ yr) on my resume. I had 3 interviews for 1L summer associate and nobody asked about it. I am not sure if in the end it would have affected my chances because I accepted a PI position the day after the last interview (2 days after the first) and told the firms I wan't interested anymore.

Edit: this of course wasn't the big OCI but a small Spring Interview Program (SIP), on campus for 1Ls and 2Ls.

This gap was post-graduation?




Return to “Law School FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], MSNbot Media and 3 guests