Patent Bar before Law School

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
cj2k14

Patent Bar before Law School

Postby cj2k14 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:06 pm

I know the topic has been discussed here before but the only threads I have found relevant are pretty dated:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=971
http://www.top-law-schools.com/archives ... 2&t=100672
http://www.top-law-schools.com/archives ... =2&t=64540

Is it a good idea to take the patent bar prior to law school ITE? Would it help get work the summer after 1L or is it just a unnecessary expense because firms will cover the cost for patent bar study/exam (as I have read in the threads above). Any thoughts?

tourdeforcex

Re: Patent Bar before Law School

Postby tourdeforcex » Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:51 pm

depends on why you're taking it.

a current NYU 1L took the patent bar before applying to demonstrate commitment. and hey he's at NYU.

cj2k14

Postby cj2k14 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:46 pm

I intend upon going to patent law.. I can see how taking it could convey commitment but this isn't my main concern. I am wondering if it's better to study and take it in my spare time before 1L since I have some free time but I'm not sure whether taking it now would offer any benefits other than showing commitment (better job prospects, summer work, etc.) or whether its better to wait until 2L or after 3L where perhaps a firm would absorb the cost of the exam and studying.

hipstermafia

Postby hipstermafia » Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:01 pm

cj2k14 wrote:I intend upon going to patent law.. I can see how taking it could convey commitment but this isn't my main concern. I am wondering if it's better to study and take it in my spare time before 1L since I have some free time but I'm not sure whether taking it now would offer any benefits other than showing commitment (better job prospects, summer work, etc.) or whether its better to wait until 2L or after 3L where perhaps a firm would absorb the cost of the exam and studying.

if you have the time i would take it now. if you don't have a background in patent law it is a LOT of information, and if i had to guess I think it helped me a lot during my cycle. and hopefully will in the future.

Return to “Law School FAQ”