Deferring VS. Transferring

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
TheSteelKid
Posts: 150
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:50 pm

Deferring VS. Transferring

Postby TheSteelKid » Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:58 pm

Hi All,



So I have a 3.25 and a 170 on the December LSAT this year. So far Ive gotten into Wash U, Illinois, and GWU. Wash U has given me 28k/year and illinois 30k/year. Nothing from GWU.

I've been waitlisted at UVA, Northwestern, Michigan and Vanderbilt.

I'm waiting to hear from BU, BC, Georgetown, Cornell, USC, UCLA, Fordham and Duke.

I would love to attend any of the schools that I'm waiting to hear from or have been waitlisted with.

At this point, I'm trying to figure out whether it would be a better idea to retake the LSAT in June, shoot for a 173+ and defer until 2012, or to go to school for a year and try to transfer.

I have read Ken (frequent poster and I believe an admin here) say that in a 20th-50th ranked school you would have to be top 5% after one year of school to stand a good chance at transferring into a T-14. While my goal is to do as well as possible, who nows if I'll be top 15% or top 5%?

Soo, what do you guys think? I think that I'm going to ride out this admissions cycle, start studying for the LSAT again and delay signing up for it as long as possible, until the deadline.

But getting back to the main point here, would you say it'd be in my best interests to retake and defer, to go to school and transfer, or to defer without retaking? This is all while wanting to go to a T-15 school, or maybe a BU, BC, GWU, Vandy, USC or Fordham with significant Scholarship money.

Thanks guys and girls.

User avatar
MrPapagiorgio
Posts: 1747
Joined: Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:36 am

Re: Deferring VS. Transferring

Postby MrPapagiorgio » Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:00 pm

TheSteelKid wrote:I have read Ken (frequent poster and I believe an admin here)

Hahahahahahahahaaaa...Ken is the Almighty Creator, not just a "frequent poster and admin here."

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Deferring VS. Transferring

Postby 09042014 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:02 pm

Yea just transfer pro. If not, then just clerk on the 9th cir.

User avatar
Nicholasnickynic
Posts: 1126
Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2009 3:21 pm

Re: Deferring VS. Transferring

Postby Nicholasnickynic » Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:04 pm

TheSteelKid wrote:Hi All,



So I have a 3.25 and a 170 on the December LSAT this year. So far Ive gotten into Wash U, Illinois, and GWU. Wash U has given me 28k/year and illinois 30k/year. Nothing from GWU.

I've been waitlisted at UVA, Northwestern, Michigan and Vanderbilt.

I'm waiting to hear from BU, BC, Georgetown, Cornell, USC, UCLA, Fordham and Duke.

I would love to attend any of the schools that I'm waiting to hear from or have been waitlisted with.

At this point, I'm trying to figure out whether it would be a better idea to retake the LSAT in June, shoot for a 173+ and defer until 2012, or to go to school for a year and try to transfer.

I have read Ken (frequent poster and I believe an admin here) say that in a 20th-50th ranked school you would have to be top 5% after one year of school to stand a good chance at transferring into a T-14. While my goal is to do as well as possible, who knows if I'll be top 15% or top 5%?

Soo, what do you guys think? I think that I'm going to ride out this admissions cycle, start studying for the LSAT again and delay signing up for it as long as possible, until the deadline.

But getting back to the main point here, would you say it'd be in my best interests to retake and defer, to go to school and transfer, or to defer without retaking? This is all while wanting to go to a T-15 school, or maybe a BU, BC, GWU, Vandy, USC or Fordham with significant Scholarship money.

Thanks guys and girls.


Well, worst case scenario, you will be top 15%. In that case, I'd say just stick to the schools you've gotten into. You'll be fine in top 15%. But lets be realistic, that's worse case scenario.

You will probably be closer to top 5-8%.
So I'd say go in with the idea of transferring- no sense in wasting a year of time.

Edited for mad grammar failz.
Last edited by Nicholasnickynic on Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

005618502
Posts: 2577
Joined: Thu May 06, 2010 10:56 pm

Re: Deferring VS. Transferring

Postby 005618502 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:04 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Yea just transfer pro. If not, then just clerk on the 9th cir.


I dont think OP will get the sarcasm

TheSteelKid
Posts: 150
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:50 pm

Re: Deferring VS. Transferring

Postby TheSteelKid » Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:06 pm

did NOT get the sarcasm...explain?

User avatar
rinkrat19
Posts: 13918
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:35 am

Re: Deferring VS. Transferring

Postby rinkrat19 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:14 pm

TheSteelKid wrote:did NOT get the sarcasm...explain?


Clerking for a US Court of Appeals is like becoming an astronaut. It is not wise to base your future plans on getting that job.

It is also not wise to base your future plans on being able to transfer, because most people are not successful at it.

TheSteelKid
Posts: 150
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:50 pm

Re: Deferring VS. Transferring

Postby TheSteelKid » Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:20 pm

True, thanks a lot. Right so I guess ultimately I won't be transferring without the Grace of God. Got it. I'm sticking with the plan to ride it out while studying for LSAT again and if I don't really love my situation I may just defer and retake.

User avatar
Alex-Trof
Posts: 528
Joined: Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:42 am

Re: Deferring VS. Transferring

Postby Alex-Trof » Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:33 pm

Hoping to transfer is a very risky route, and IMO, should be seen as hoping to win a lottery. It seams like it is T14+Vandy or bust for you. Don't even apply to lover ranked schools, save some application fee money.

You might not even need a higher LSAT. Get some interesting work experience, write an outstanding PM. Apply early and ED to Virginia or Northwestern. I think some people on TLS are overly obsessed with numbers and underestimate the chances of people who put together a very solid application with lesser stats.

TheSteelKid
Posts: 150
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:50 pm

Re: Deferring VS. Transferring

Postby TheSteelKid » Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:26 pm

Alex-Trof wrote:Hoping to transfer is a very risky route, and IMO, should be seen as hoping to win a lottery. It seams like it is T14+Vandy or bust for you. Don't even apply to lover ranked schools, save some application fee money.

You might not even need a higher LSAT. Get some interesting work experience, write an outstanding PM. Apply early and ED to Virginia or Northwestern. I think some people on TLS are overly obsessed with numbers and underestimate the chances of people who put together a very solid application with lesser stats.



PM? Do you mean Personal Statement? Thanks




Return to “Law School FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests