Delaney's Learning Legal Reasoning

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
jjlaw

Delaney's Learning Legal Reasoning

Postby jjlaw » Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:06 am

Has anyone read Delaney's Learning Legal Reasoning? Do you recommend it? Thanks!

vamedic03

Re: Delaney's Learning Legal Reasoning

Postby vamedic03 » Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:44 am

jjlaw wrote:Has anyone read Delaney's Learning Legal Reasoning? Do you recommend it? Thanks!

For an introduction to legal reasoning, I highly recommend - Schauer, Frederick, Thinking Like a Lawyer.

cubswin

Postby cubswin » Sun Mar 06, 2011 8:58 pm

vamedic03 wrote:
jjlaw wrote:Has anyone read Delaney's Learning Legal Reasoning? Do you recommend it? Thanks!

For an introduction to legal reasoning, I highly recommend - Schauer, Frederick, Thinking Like a Lawyer.

Is this a good book for someone who hasn't started law school?

vamedic03

Postby vamedic03 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:08 pm

cubswin wrote:
vamedic03 wrote:

Is this a good book for someone who hasn't started law school?

Yes. It's a great introduction to basic jurisprudence and common law reasoning that requires no legal background to understand the basics.

jjlaw

Postby jjlaw » Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:59 pm

vamedic03 wrote:For an introduction to legal reasoning, I highly recommend - Schauer, Frederick, Thinking Like a Lawyer.

Thanks. Delaney seems to cover the briefing process. What does Thinking Like a Lawyer cover substantively?

vamedic03

Postby vamedic03 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:24 am

jjlaw wrote:
vamedic03 wrote:For an introduction to legal reasoning, I highly recommend - Schauer, Frederick, Thinking Like a Lawyer.

Thanks. Delaney seems to cover the briefing process. What does Thinking Like a Lawyer cover substantively?

It's a substantive introduction to jurisprudence, common law reasoning and statutory interpretation. These are the basic concepts that undergird all of law school and legal reasoning. It's an approachable introduction to major concepts. It does not cover any non-substantive areas.

FWIW - the "briefing process" is an exercise that the typical law students engages in for about 4-8 weeks before forgetting about it. I haven't briefed a case since the end of October 1L year.

Return to “Law School FAQ”