Two Solid Years - or 69 Credits - of Straight A's...

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
Stupe

Re: Two Solid Years - or 69 Credits - of Straight A's...

Postby Stupe » Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:30 am

paulinaporizkova wrote:
gothamm wrote:
BrianGriffintheDog wrote:How'd you manage to get straight A's (4.0s)? I mean I've gotten straight 3.7s but never 4.0s. Any advice?

sack-up

study more Participate in class, become buddies with your professors

/advice

manofjustice

Postby manofjustice » Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:39 am

You're fine. Apps are down. Almost every school is going into a compensatory model and taking splitters. If your LSAT is strong, your two years of straight As will make you a very attractive splitter.

afitouri

Postby afitouri » Sat Sep 08, 2012 5:19 pm

BrianGriffintheDog wrote:How'd you manage to get straight A's (4.0s)? I mean I've gotten straight 3.7s but never 4.0s. Any advice?

I am in the exact same boat as the OP. IMO, getting a 4.0 is more dependent on the professors you sign up with than on your own merit. I got a 4.0 for two years because I made sure that the professors I took were reputable and agreed with my expectations. Sometimes I got unclear professors or just outright unrealistic ones, but made sure to audit the courses once I had realized that (only happened twice).

USMCMatt

Postby USMCMatt » Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:09 pm

North wrote:...have brought my GPA up to a 3.35. No, I didn't show up to my entire freshman year. Mine is an upward grade trend like nobody's business. Will my recently renewed interest in overachieving hold any positive sway with Admissions Committees? My forum search revealed that the consensus is that that final LSAC GPA is the only thing they'll give any thought to, and that makes me sad. But, really, this is two years of nothing but 4.0. Is there no chance they'll go "my, the tyke had it in him all along: he will certainly bring perspective to our college."

Note: I'll be taking a year off to work before applying early during the next cycle.

LSAT LSAT LSAT!!

I can't stress this enough. The GPA may make admissions people toss you but if they get a look at a strong LSAT they are likely to actually give your file a read. Depsite what some people may say, there are very few "auto-rejects" based on GPA alone or LSAT alone. Most of those are based on LSAT because an AdComm is aware that you can have a bad day and retest and obviously didn't (or you suck at the LSAT forever) but they know you can't undo a bad UG experience unless you go to grad school...

Return to “Law School FAQ”