Is there really a degree that prepares your for law school?

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
User avatar
Burke21
Posts: 25
Joined: Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:13 pm

Re: Is there really a degree that prepares your for law school?

Postby Burke21 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:40 pm

I often hear that if you are going to law school the best triangle of knowledge to have is: Political Science, Philosophy and Economics.

Personally I do not think there is a specific degree, which a student can obtain that will give them an edge in law school. However, as a Philosophy major, with an interest in political science, and have taken some classes on the topic. Philosophy, from personal experience is an excellent study to have going into law school. Just considering the LSAT, many philosophy students who do not get a job are hired to make up questions for the LSAT. Philosophy students deal with reading comprehension every day, have you ever Kant, or Hagel, and understand these philosophers first time 'round? Just saying, philosophy students are trained to deal with problems dealing with the LSAT, which is going to be essential.

Moreover, philosophy students, are excellent at critical thinking, arguing, reading (although not as good as English majors), and writing. These, especially the logical arguing, are essential to law school, at least I can see it as being important.

So, although I am not going to explicitly claim that Philosophy is the best degree to have going into law school, however, it is not hard to accept it as a favorite choice. It simply depends on the individual and their intellectual capacity.

User avatar
Adjudicator
Posts: 1108
Joined: Fri Jul 23, 2010 4:18 am

Re: Is there really a degree that prepares your for law school?

Postby Adjudicator » Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:53 pm

I don't think there is any best degree to prepare for law school, but I would contend that Philosophy is possibly the best course of study to prepare one for the LSAT. Although, a Literature or History major who takes Intro to Logic might fare just as well. My prior familiarity with logical fallacies was very helpful to me.

However, as a Philosophy major, lately I have been kicking myself hard for not majoring in Economics instead, mostly just because I am so fascinated by it now and I think it would have been much more interesting overall.

User avatar
LSHopeful2
Posts: 61
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:05 pm

Re: Is there really a degree that prepares your for law school?

Postby LSHopeful2 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:50 pm

My prof. once said that english was the best major before law school because of the writing. However, we know damn-well how fucking Useless the BA of English at a non HYP school is for recruiting, other than using it as a means to get into further school. Fuck.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4f-4CajQyg

Seriously, there should be some FUCKING COURSE OF ACTION against ALL universities who offer non-recruiting degrees at the UNDERGRAD level. Fuck! We pay for this shit (the degree), yet we incur loads and loads of student debt because companies won't hire us because we are liberal arts/humanities? Well then, time to sue universities for duping us out of our money while they offer bull-shit majors while they say a degree increases your chances of getting a job! Fucking nonsense.

*BTW: the same thing is said of the non top 20 law schools. For example, Whittier JD's will end up working at Target or other useless schools that don't have the top 14 ambiance. It's no surprise law schools just love to fucking suck up money as well. Which explains the likes of schools like University of Cincinnati, Kentucky, Kansas, NYLS, or any other fucking useless, non-recruitable law school where most people will be back at square one with their BA in liberal arts when they graduate. No wonder the cashier at Ross was from University of Rhode Island law school when he told me he was unable to find anything.
Last edited by LSHopeful2 on Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Cade McNown
Posts: 550
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:54 pm

Re: Is there really a degree that prepares your for law school?

Postby Cade McNown » Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:58 pm

LSHopeful2 wrote:My prof. once said that english was the best major before law school because of the writing. However, we know damn-well how fucking Useless the BA of English at a non HYP school is for recruiting, other than using it as a means to get into further school. Fuck.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4f-4CajQyg

Seriously, there should be some FUCKING COURSE OF ACTION against ALL universities who offer non-recruiting degrees at the UNDERGRAD level. Fuck! We pay for this shit (the degree), yet we incur loads and loads of student debt because companies won't hire us because we are liberal arts/humanities? Well then, time to sue universities for duping us out of our money while they offer bull-shit majors while they say a degree increases your chances of getting a job! Fucking nonsense.


--ImageRemoved--

User avatar
LSHopeful2
Posts: 61
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:05 pm

Re: Is there really a degree that prepares your for law school?

Postby LSHopeful2 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:04 pm

^you, on the contrary, are indeed the troll; as I have provided reasons and proof that that is the general consensus with regard to liberal arts major outside of H/Y/P. So, my little troll friend, keep fooling around and remain in your state of inertia, failing to provide any counter-argument on WHY liberal arts folks are not-recruitable, because you don't have any, and you know damn-well that that is the norm when these majors come into play. Keep trolling, buddy!

User avatar
Lawl Shcool
Posts: 763
Joined: Tue Oct 27, 2009 6:44 pm

Re: Is there really a degree that prepares your for law school?

Postby Lawl Shcool » Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:15 pm

LSHopeful2 wrote:*BTW: the same thing is said of the non top 20 law schools. For example, Whittier JD's will end up working at Target or other useless schools that don't have the top 14 ambiance. It's no surprise law schools just love to fucking suck up money as well. Which explains the likes of schools like University of Cincinnati, Kentucky, Kansas, NYLS, or any other fucking useless, non-recruitable law school where most people will be back at square one with their BA in liberal arts when they graduate. No wonder the cashier at Ross was from University of Rhode Island law school when he told me he was unable to find anything.


U of Cincy worthless? You sir are retarded.

User avatar
Cade McNown
Posts: 550
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:54 pm

Re: Is there really a degree that prepares your for law school?

Postby Cade McNown » Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:17 pm

LSHopeful2 wrote:^you, on the contrary, are indeed the troll; as I have provided reasons and proof that that is the general consensus with regard to liberal arts major outside of H/Y/P. So, my little troll friend, keep fooling around and remain in your state of inertia, failing to provide any counter-argument on WHY liberal arts folks are not-recruitable, because you don't have any, and you know damn-well that that is the norm when these majors come into play. Keep trolling, buddy!


See rest of thread, you know, the parts before you jumped in 60 posts late to the party, only barely on topic, and saying fuck every 3 words. Note that from the beginning I have needed no argument, but merely counterexamples. My purpose is not to make a new argument, but to debunk the idea that the liberal arts are unmarketable. My evidence that this is not true is because students from the better liberal arts colleges (not HYP, but instead Williams through Vassar let's say) get recruited all over the place to top-tier companies like Google, Bain, Apple, IBM... Liberal arts majors are smart, well-rounded candidates for jobs in general business consulting, which aside from maybe finance draws more of its employees straight from undergrad recruiting than any other sector.

Given your demeanor and stupidity, I am not surprised you are completely unfamiliar with undergrad recruiting though.

User avatar
LSHopeful2
Posts: 61
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:05 pm

Re: Is there really a degree that prepares your for law school?

Postby LSHopeful2 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:38 pm

No, dumb one, before you insult me with your charge of "stupidity" look closely at how stupid you can be by not reading my earlier post and failing to grasp that concept before writing your answer. I said those of us in the UC SYSTEM, not from Williams, Vassar, or even Vandy. Did you not catch that? Even then, they would require some kind of experience in the fields you alluded to. I am liberal arts, and I am quite bright; the frustration is that us UC folks, unless having some strong connection or good internship that allows us to coalesce into a job, we UC liberal arts folks upon immediately graduating will not fare well. I didn't mention Vandy, or Vassar, but the UC system, for fucks sake. And the only reason I say "fuck" is because people like YOU in these forums consistently express the term; more so in the off-topic forum, and so it grew on me. You have a problem with this "demeanor"? Then start a thread on it in the off-topic forum stating how you would like people to use the term less so as to not make it an influence or rude remark onto others who will ultimately learn. Got it? You probably didn't, but at least I got if off my chest.

User avatar
LSHopeful2
Posts: 61
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:05 pm

Re: Is there really a degree that prepares your for law school?

Postby LSHopeful2 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:45 pm

And by the way, given YOUR rude "pictures" and derogatory comments that you initiated, I would say its a fair statement to say that YOU are the one who exhibits poor demeanor and are the childish one. I clearly was expressing my frustration with the UC system and how the degrees in this field are non-recruitable, WITHOUT RECOURSE to insulting ANYONE, but insulting the SYSTEM and the DYMAMICS of the situation. So you see, my little friend, it all makes sense: you came off impulsive and childish and exhibited poor demeanor by your "stupidity" insult, when clearly, you seem to be a hypocrite and belligerent yourself. Did that make sense? I hope it does, because I'm not here to insult anyone, my friend.

I stand by my original assessment: my position is unarguable in that not once did I insult you or anyone else for that matter; rather, you on the other hand clearly did, with your unnecessary and unproductive photo that you posted when you could have easily answered with some meaningful insight or reasons as to how one can redress the issue in this field of majors with regard to employment. You chose not to do that. But be childish, jocular, and post polarizing pictures instead. That is undeniable, and I rest my case.
Last edited by LSHopeful2 on Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Alex-Trof
Posts: 528
Joined: Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:42 am

Re: Is there really a degree that prepares your for law school?

Postby Alex-Trof » Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:46 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:
I'm not sure what this is supposed to be proving? Biomedical engineers will always make more than high school teachers. But, if you go to a top school you have a better possibility of making more money in your field than at a state school.


Its anecdotal evidence, so wouldn't prove much regardless of what point I was making.

I was just showing that it is not always that liberal arts degree from a more prestigious school will allow for making more money than a degree in engineering from a state school (both of my friends wanted to make a lot of money, yet so far only one of them is doing so).

Outside of HYP (maybe Ivy) I don't think I would prefer majoring in liberal arts over hard science/engineering/math if my goal was exclusively making money even if former was at a much better ranked school. But that is just me and my personal experience.
Last edited by Alex-Trof on Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Cade McNown
Posts: 550
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:54 pm

Re: Is there really a degree that prepares your for law school?

Postby Cade McNown » Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:50 pm

LSHopeful2 wrote:No, dumb one, before you insult me with your charge of "stupidity" look closely at how stupid you can be by not reading my earlier post and failing to grasp that concept before writing your answer. I said those of us in the UC SYSTEM, not from Williams, Vassar, or even Vandy. Did you not catch that? Even then, they would require some kind of experience in the fields you alluded to. I am liberal arts, and I am quite bright; the frustration is that us UC folks, unless having some strong connection or good internship that allows us to coalesce into a job, we UC liberal arts folks upon immediately graduating will not fare well. I didn't mention Vandy, or Vassar, but the UC system, for fucks sake. And the only reason I say "fuck" is because people like YOU in these forums consistently express the term; more so in the off-topic forum, and so it grew on me. You have a problem with this "demeanor"? Then start a thread on it in the off-topic forum stating how you would like people to use the term less so as to not make it an influence or rude remark onto others who will ultimately learn. Got it? You probably didn't, but at least I got if off my chest.


And hence why your post was only barely on-topic, because you attacked my point before considering my purpose in discussing the top liberal arts colleges. I agree liberal arts majors from degree mills like the UC system will have more difficulty finding employment. That's true for all majors at such schools. Take yourself as a case study: Do you really think it's because of your liberal arts major that you can't find work, or do you think maybe it has more to do with the fact that you had a 2.9 at a community college <http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=119689&p=3067391#p3067391>.

And for the record I don't care if you swear constantly, it just makes me take you less seriously.

User avatar
LSHopeful2
Posts: 61
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:05 pm

Re: Is there really a degree that prepares your for law school?

Postby LSHopeful2 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:00 pm

^So what? Why are you referencing the gpa from the CC? They are not universities, and I had some personal/financial liabilities at the time so as to PAY for my own education after graduating high school while working to take classes. Did that not ever occur to you? Your accusation is gratuitous. Dig up all the history you want on me, a 2.9-3.0 at a CC is not the end of the world my friend, especially when you had financial liabilities to take care of at the time. Stop judging and start inquiring. You = myopic, and short-sighted.

Winning a leadership award at my university, doing research with my professor, being part of my undergraduate university's political science journal are what make me stand out, not the CC gpa where I had a burden placed on me at the time. Do you not get this? You probably don't, but at least I got it off my chest.

I agree liberal arts majors from degree mills like the UC system will have more difficulty finding employment.


Finally! Yay, you admit it. And that is what I was pointing out. Because that is the scenario we are in. Otherwise, what else can one do with a BA in liberal arts? Do you have any meaningful suggestions? You probably don't since you love judging, and so I've exhausted all my suggestions for you.

User avatar
Cade McNown
Posts: 550
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:54 pm

Re: Is there really a degree that prepares your for law school?

Postby Cade McNown » Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:08 pm

Cade McNown wrote:...The collective comments by you and OP about dumb unemployable liberal arts majors. Of course there are such people ...


Already admitted that a while back

User avatar
Cade McNown
Posts: 550
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:54 pm

Re: Is there really a degree that prepares your for law school?

Postby Cade McNown » Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:10 pm

Cade McNown wrote:I'm sure the average top liberal arts college student > your average engineer. One has widespread knowledge and talent, the other has a niche. Otherwise I agree that a liberal arts degree could be a cop out.


...And admitted it even earlier. Again, I urge you to READ THE THREAD!

User avatar
Jack Smirks
Posts: 1340
Joined: Sat May 15, 2010 5:35 am

Re: Is there really a degree that prepares your for law school?

Postby Jack Smirks » Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:11 pm

What the fuck are you two bumbling idiots going on about? Find your corners and stfu already.

User avatar
LSHopeful2
Posts: 61
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:05 pm

Re: Is there really a degree that prepares your for law school?

Postby LSHopeful2 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:13 pm

nater are you the one who said even a JD From Yale won't help that guy from gaining entry to God's kingdom?

User avatar
LSHopeful2
Posts: 61
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:05 pm

Re: Is there really a degree that prepares your for law school?

Postby LSHopeful2 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:15 pm

Cade McNown wrote:
Cade McNown wrote:I'm sure the average top liberal arts college student > your average engineer. One has widespread knowledge and talent, the other has a niche. Otherwise I agree that a liberal arts degree could be a cop out.


...And admitted it even earlier. Again, I urge you to READ THE THREAD!


And I urge you to stop showing and start supporting. Give me something from you. Is that so hard for you to do? Looks like you can't formulate an answer, but keep alluding to them, given by your constant references.
Last edited by LSHopeful2 on Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
LSHopeful2
Posts: 61
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:05 pm

Re: Is there really a degree that prepares your for law school?

Postby LSHopeful2 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:21 pm

naterj wrote:What the fuck are you two bumbling idiots going on about? Find your corners and stfu already.


Looks like I was right:

"Tell your friend to worry less about the implications his profession will have in the law school application process and more about the divine judgment on his soul. Your friend is going to hell. Pornography attacks the dignity of men and women created in the image of God and it distorts God’s gift of sex which should be shared only within the bounds of marriage. Your friend is promoting sexual perversion which is condemned by God and our lord Jesus Christ, even a JD from Yale can't save him now."



My my, nater, would the Lord approve of you talking like this judging by your beliefs? "you bumbling idiots...stfu". Doesn't that run contrary to the lord's speech that you so favor?

User avatar
Cade McNown
Posts: 550
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:54 pm

Re: Is there really a degree that prepares your for law school?

Postby Cade McNown » Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:26 pm

LSHopeful2 wrote:^So what? Why are you referencing the gpa from the CC? They are not universities, and I had some personal/financial liabilities at the time so as to PAY for my own education after graduating high school while working to take classes. Did that not ever occur to you? Your accusation is gratuitous. Dig up all the history you want on me, a 2.9-3.0 at a CC is not the end of the world my friend, especially when you had financial liabilities to take care of at the time. Stop judging and start inquiring. You = myopic, and short-sighted.

Winning a leadership award at my university, doing research with my professor, being part of my undergraduate university's political science journal are what make me stand out, not the CC gpa where I had a burden placed on me at the time. Do you not get this? You probably don't, but at least I got it off my chest.


Congratulate yourself all you want, but nearly everyone have jobs and extracurricular activities that limit the time and effort they put towards school. Those same people manage to get strong grades, and they do so at real universities/colleges (UC system counts, CC does not). So yes I will judge you, because you overestimate your qualities and have failed to familiarize yourself with undergraduate recruiting.

Notice also that though I admit it is more difficult to get hired out of the UC system, it is not impossible as you suggest. Just curious, how many recruiters have you ever talked to? interviews taken? I guarantee you that while you've been wallowing about your tough situation some of your liberal arts classmates were making themselves more employable by extending feelers to companies, working with career services centers, just generally getting their name and resumes in front of employers. My guess is that you've bought into the myth that "there are no jobs out there", and I actually feel sorry for you because those of us who recognize the paths to employment can only laugh at you.

User avatar
Cade McNown
Posts: 550
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:54 pm

Re: Is there really a degree that prepares your for law school?

Postby Cade McNown » Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:30 pm

LSHopeful2 wrote:And I urge you to stop showing and start supporting. Give me something from you. Is that so hard for you to do? Looks like you can't formulate an answer, but keep alluding to them, given by your constant references.


wtf are you talking about? Those references support the fact that I had already admitted what you claimed I hadn't.

User avatar
quickquestionthanks
Posts: 629
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:30 pm

Re: Is there really a degree that prepares your for law school?

Postby quickquestionthanks » Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:31 pm

government
politics
policy analysis
economics

gl

User avatar
Jack Smirks
Posts: 1340
Joined: Sat May 15, 2010 5:35 am

Re: Is there really a degree that prepares your for law school?

Postby Jack Smirks » Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:33 pm

LSHopeful2 wrote:
naterj wrote:What the fuck are you two bumbling idiots going on about? Find your corners and stfu already.


Looks like I was right:

"Tell your friend to worry less about the implications his profession will have in the law school application process and more about the divine judgment on his soul. Your friend is going to hell. Pornography attacks the dignity of men and women created in the image of God and it distorts God’s gift of sex which should be shared only within the bounds of marriage. Your friend is promoting sexual perversion which is condemned by God and our lord Jesus Christ, even a JD from Yale can't save him now."



My my, nater, would the Lord approve of you talking like this judging by your beliefs? "you bumbling idiots...stfu". Doesn't that run contrary to the lord's speech that you so favor?

If your intellect is any indication of God's abilities as a creator you might have just convinced me to turn to atheism.




and your mother's right to choose.

User avatar
kwais
Posts: 1683
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 12:28 pm

Re: Is there really a degree that prepares your for law school?

Postby kwais » Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:33 pm

I'm confused by this argument. Must be my LibArts degree

User avatar
Cade McNown
Posts: 550
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:54 pm

Re: Is there really a degree that prepares your for law school?

Postby Cade McNown » Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:34 pm

quickquestionthanks wrote:government
politics
policy analysis
economics

gl


LOL. I think OP left a long time ago...

User avatar
LSHopeful2
Posts: 61
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:05 pm

Re: Is there really a degree that prepares your for law school?

Postby LSHopeful2 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:35 pm

Cade McNown wrote:
LSHopeful2 wrote:^So what? Why are you referencing the gpa from the CC? They are not universities, and I had some personal/financial liabilities at the time so as to PAY for my own education after graduating high school while working to take classes. Did that not ever occur to you? Your accusation is gratuitous. Dig up all the history you want on me, a 2.9-3.0 at a CC is not the end of the world my friend, especially when you had financial liabilities to take care of at the time. Stop judging and start inquiring. You = myopic, and short-sighted.

Winning a leadership award at my university, doing research with my professor, being part of my undergraduate university's political science journal are what make me stand out, not the CC gpa where I had a burden placed on me at the time. Do you not get this? You probably don't, but at least I got it off my chest.


Congratulate yourself all you want, but nearly everyone have jobs and extracurricular activities that limit the time and effort they put towards school. Those same people manage to get strong grades, and they do so at real universities/colleges (UC system counts, CC does not). So yes I will judge you, because you overestimate your qualities and have failed to familiarize yourself with undergraduate recruiting.

Notice also that though I admit it is more difficult to get hired out of the UC system, it is not impossible as you suggest. Just curious, how many recruiters have you ever talked to? interviews taken? I guarantee you that while you've been wallowing about your tough situation some of your liberal arts classmates were making themselves more employable by extending feelers to companies, working with career services centers, just generally getting their name and resumes in front of employers. My guess is that you've bought into the myth that "there are no jobs out there", and I actually feel sorry for you because those of us who recognize the paths to employment can only laugh at you.



Wrong. Two points have to be elucidated. No, nearly everyone does NOT have jobs while in school, and so you are wrong there. Second point. A job is very much different than "extra-curricular" activities (set hours, almost every day, etc., extra-currics are very flexible; indeed, adjustable to be frank) and so you fail in that argument again. Now I'll judge you by how low minded you think. And so I don't care what you think anymore, because the thinking apparatus you exhibit is ridiculous, immaterial and irrelevant to me. Troll all you want.


If you want to "laugh" at me, be my guest, it makes no difference. I already laughed at you by the way you think, so no need to go on. The fields I want require hefty experience, because I will never settle for less. Point taken.




Return to “Law School FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests