Is there really a degree that prepares your for law school?

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
User avatar
LSHopeful2
Posts: 61
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:05 pm

Re: Is there really a degree that prepares your for law school?

Postby LSHopeful2 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:38 am

What the fuck is this supposed to mean? Um, i was poli-sci, my friend. what is your little generator in reference to. you know damn well that business management is recruitable. Shit.

User avatar
rman1201
Posts: 959
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:11 pm

Re: Is there really a degree that prepares your for law school?

Postby rman1201 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:38 am

Why the fuck is everyone so mad in this thread?

User avatar
Cade McNown
Posts: 550
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:54 pm

Re: Is there really a degree that prepares your for law school?

Postby Cade McNown » Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:15 pm

LSHopeful2 wrote:Honestly, for fucks sake, I second what he said earlier. Unfortunately, being the "well-rounded" major that poli sci or philosophy or even history for that matter is, you don't get shit when you graduate. The majors train your mind and make you think, but for fucks sake, job prospects are absolutely ZERO when you graduate for these majors! Your option is either top law school..what else can we liberal arts folks get?! Nothing! Fuck. Business, engineering, computer science on the other hand, are well recruiting majors.


Wrong. Late to the party. See earlier post: Liberal arts majors (from top end schools) secure the best jobs straight out of college at companies like Google, Bain, Apple, IBM,...That's what sparked the whole argument earlier.

User avatar
Cade McNown
Posts: 550
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:54 pm

Re: Is there really a degree that prepares your for law school?

Postby Cade McNown » Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:17 pm

LSHopeful2 wrote:What the fuck is this supposed to mean? Um, i was poli-sci, my friend. what is your little generator in reference to. you know damn well that business management is recruitable. Shit.


You wanna be a salesman?

User avatar
bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate
Posts: 13383
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:02 am

Re: Is there really a degree that prepares your for law school?

Postby bjsesq » Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:17 pm

Hank Chill wrote:I always hear that English Lit and Philosophy are good majors that prep future law students. Criminal Justice is usually considered a poor degree for law school. Is this bullshit or no?

Not true. It's just that most criminal justice students are fucking idiots.

User avatar
rman1201
Posts: 959
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:11 pm

Re: Is there really a degree that prepares your for law school?

Postby rman1201 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:34 pm

Cade McNown wrote:
LSHopeful2 wrote:Honestly, for fucks sake, I second what he said earlier. Unfortunately, being the "well-rounded" major that poli sci or philosophy or even history for that matter is, you don't get shit when you graduate. The majors train your mind and make you think, but for fucks sake, job prospects are absolutely ZERO when you graduate for these majors! Your option is either top law school..what else can we liberal arts folks get?! Nothing! Fuck. Business, engineering, computer science on the other hand, are well recruiting majors.


Wrong. Late to the party. See earlier post: Liberal arts majors (from top end schools) secure the best jobs straight out of college at companies like Google, Bain, Apple, IBM,...That's what sparked the whole argument earlier.


Chill man, Top Liberal Arts colleges are the exception, we both agree to that. But in the context of the thread we weren't talking about that, which is why it was just so obscure for you to come out of nowhere with "hahahahahahaah yeahhhh Lib Arts majors from Williams dont get jobs???!?!?!?". That can apply to anything - we can talk about how poor prospects Cooley Law Grads have, and the equivalent of your argument would be for someone to chime in with "Wanna tell that to my buddy, #1 at Cooley law who has a BigLaw job?!?!?!?!".
I apologize for not having Top Lib Arts colleges on my radar, for fucks sake, I dont even think we have a decent one in Florida (New College? Not great, but all I know).
You don't have to throw out personal insults though - Yeah Psych was an easy major, which is why my major GPA is 3.8.

User avatar
Cade McNown
Posts: 550
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:54 pm

Re: Is there really a degree that prepares your for law school?

Postby Cade McNown » Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:47 pm

rman1201 wrote:Chill man, Top Liberal Arts colleges are the exception, we both agree to that. But in the context of the thread we weren't talking about that, which is why it was just so obscure for you to come out of nowhere with "hahahahahahaah yeahhhh Lib Arts majors from Williams dont get jobs???!?!?!?". That can apply to anything - we can talk about how poor prospects Cooley Law Grads have, and the equivalent of your argument would be for someone to chime in with "Wanna tell that to my buddy, #1 at Cooley law who has a BigLaw job?!?!?!?!".
I apologize for not having Top Lib Arts colleges on my radar, for fucks sake, I dont even think we have a decent one in Florida (New College? Not great, but all I know).
You don't have to throw out personal insults though - Yeah Psych was an easy major, which is why my major GPA is 3.8.


I only throw out insults after having been insulted myself. I've already said this, and you insulted me with the "logic fail" line. Sorry if my insults sting more. And please don't use bad analogies. Your Cooley law example is not at all equivalent to what I've done here. You were not simply discussing the poor prospects of liberal arts majors. Instead you made sweeping statements to the effect that the liberal arts are unmarketable. The proper analogy given your terms is you saying "No Cooley Grads get jobs", and then I reply with "Actually some do get jobs". Like I've said before, whether or not lib arts majors get jobs is a question of fact, and all I was asking you to do is get your facts straight.

User avatar
rman1201
Posts: 959
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:11 pm

Re: Is there really a degree that prepares your for law school?

Postby rman1201 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:53 pm

Cade McNown wrote:
rman1201 wrote:Chill man, Top Liberal Arts colleges are the exception, we both agree to that. But in the context of the thread we weren't talking about that, which is why it was just so obscure for you to come out of nowhere with "hahahahahahaah yeahhhh Lib Arts majors from Williams dont get jobs???!?!?!?". That can apply to anything - we can talk about how poor prospects Cooley Law Grads have, and the equivalent of your argument would be for someone to chime in with "Wanna tell that to my buddy, #1 at Cooley law who has a BigLaw job?!?!?!?!".
I apologize for not having Top Lib Arts colleges on my radar, for fucks sake, I dont even think we have a decent one in Florida (New College? Not great, but all I know).
You don't have to throw out personal insults though - Yeah Psych was an easy major, which is why my major GPA is 3.8.


I only throw out insults after having been insulted myself. I've already said this, and you insulted me with the "logic fail" line. Sorry if my insults sting more. And please don't use bad analogies. Your Cooley law example is not at all equivalent to what I've done here. You were not simply discussing the poor prospects of liberal arts majors. Instead you made sweeping statements to the effect that the liberal arts are unmarketable. The proper analogy given your terms is you saying "No Cooley Grads get jobs", and then I reply with "Actually some do get jobs". Like I've said before, whether or not lib arts majors get jobs is a question of fact, and all I was asking you to do is get your facts straight.


They didn't 'sting more', your insults were disregarding what I said and attacking my personal info. It's acceptable to call someone an idiot for saying idiotic things, but that's not entirely what happened.
Again, read for context. How many threads have you seen where the discussion is "Liberal arts majors don't get jobs*

*except from top liberal arts colleges, they may fare a better shot at a job."

That's where context comes in. Every single person here except you seems to grasp the basic assumption that we are talking about average schools. Yes, grads from top liberal arts colleges or liberal arts majors coming from HYP probably have jobs.

User avatar
Cade McNown
Posts: 550
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:54 pm

Re: Is there really a degree that prepares your for law school?

Postby Cade McNown » Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:24 pm

rman1201 wrote:They didn't 'sting more', your insults were disregarding what I said and attacking my personal info. It's acceptable to call someone an idiot for saying idiotic things, but that's not entirely what happened.
Again, read for context. How many threads have you seen where the discussion is "Liberal arts majors don't get jobs*

*except from top liberal arts colleges, they may fare a better shot at a job."

That's where context comes in. Every single person here except you seems to grasp the basic assumption that we are talking about average schools. Yes, grads from top liberal arts colleges or liberal arts majors coming from HYP probably have jobs.


That's exactly what happened and continues to happen. Seriously, go back and re-read the first 20 posts or so in this discussion. Instead of reading for context try reading what you and they actually said. Two Prime examples:

"Talking out their assholes in seminars and doing the reading the night before a paper's due, like everyone else in the liberal arts?" -Pomas
"The best degree would be a non-liberal arts degree with career possibilities so you aren't forced to go to law school at graduation if you change your mind last minute." -You, Rman

Please provide the context to these statements. Pomas outright says that everyone in the liberal arts talks out their assholes. You suggest that liberal arts majors have zero job prospects and therefore must go on to grad school. Now I realize that these statements were made partly in jest, but why should I let you get away with making such stupid claims? I don't think it's mean and I know I'm not missing anything. You guys were just wrong, that's the bottom line.

User avatar
bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate
Posts: 13383
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:02 am

Re: Is there really a degree that prepares your for law school?

Postby bjsesq » Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:26 pm

--ImageRemoved--

User avatar
rman1201
Posts: 959
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:11 pm

Re: Is there really a degree that prepares your for law school?

Postby rman1201 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:32 pm

--ImageRemoved--


Seriously, I think we've hit a brick wall.
Lets just agree that:
1) Yes, lib arts majors from top schools fare ok.
2) When applied to the majority of universities/colleges, liberal arts majors are screwed.
3) I think you're an idiot.
4) You think I'm an idiot.
And call it a day.

User avatar
Cade McNown
Posts: 550
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:54 pm

Re: Is there really a degree that prepares your for law school?

Postby Cade McNown » Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:42 pm

rman1201 wrote:Seriously, I think we've hit a brick wall. AGREE/Hit that wall a long time ago.
Lets just agree that:
1) Yes, lib arts majors from top schools fare ok. MODERATE AGREE/They fare better than just ok, in fact they do better than all other college grads anywhere regardless of major or university. But a lot of this has to do with connections and networking advantages of small colleges, so I accept.
2) When applied to the majority of universities/colleges, liberal arts majors are screwed. EH, OK AGREE
3) I think you're an idiot. DISAGREE/In truth we've agreed about many things in other treads (Emory's pure numbers admissions for example). So not only am I not an idiot but in many circumstances you've concurred with me.
4) You think I'm an idiot. AGREE Sorry, but you went to school with Joakim Noah.
And call it a day.

User avatar
rman1201
Posts: 959
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:11 pm

Re: Is there really a degree that prepares your for law school?

Postby rman1201 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:45 pm

Cade McNown wrote:
rman1201 wrote:Seriously, I think we've hit a brick wall. AGREE/Hit that wall a long time ago.
Lets just agree that:
1) Yes, lib arts majors from top schools fare ok. MODERATE AGREE/They fare better than just ok, in fact they do better than all other college grads anywhere regardless of major or university. But a lot of this has to do with connections and networking advantages of small colleges, so I accept.
2) When applied to the majority of universities/colleges, liberal arts majors are screwed. EH, OK AGREE
3) I think you're an idiot. DISAGREE/In truth we've agreed about many things in other treads (Emory's pure numbers admissions for example). So not only am I not an idiot but in many circumstances you've concurred with me.
4) You think I'm an idiot. AGREE Sorry, but you went to school with Joakim Noah.
And call it a day.


Close enough.

/thread

User avatar
bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate
Posts: 13383
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:02 am

Re: Is there really a degree that prepares your for law school?

Postby bjsesq » Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:47 pm

Cade McNown wrote:
rman1201 wrote:Seriously, I think we've hit a brick wall. AGREE/Hit that wall a long time ago.
Lets just agree that:
1) Yes, lib arts majors from top schools fare ok. MODERATE AGREE/They fare better than just ok, in fact they do better than all other college grads anywhere regardless of major or university. But a lot of this has to do with connections and networking advantages of small colleges, so I accept.
2) When applied to the majority of universities/colleges, liberal arts majors are screwed. EH, OK AGREE
3) I think you're an idiot. DISAGREE/In truth we've agreed about many things in other treads (Emory's pure numbers admissions for example). So not only am I not an idiot but in many circumstances you've concurred with me.
4) You think I'm an idiot. AGREE Sorry, but you went to school with Joakim Noah.
And call it a day.

--ImageRemoved--

User avatar
piccolittle
Posts: 1118
Joined: Mon Oct 06, 2008 4:16 pm

Re: Is there really a degree that prepares your for law school?

Postby piccolittle » Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:52 pm

Did anyone say LLB yet? :wink:

User avatar
LSHopeful2
Posts: 61
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:05 pm

Re: Is there really a degree that prepares your for law school?

Postby LSHopeful2 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:04 pm

For fucks sake, sure, lib arts majors from Princeton or harvard Do have a good chance at jobs, but those of us from the UC system don't! No shit companies go after the pedigree which is the norm at wall street. I'm not dosputig that. What I'm disputing is the claim that ALL liberal arts folks have excellent prospects as do any other major. Wrong! Again, business, engineering, comp sci do , an as long as you fucking get the degree, engineering or other firms will hire you. Not the case with Poli sci or philosophy! So you ARE wrong when you Said that. SOME liberal arts folks at Princeton or harvard will fare well, The rest of us have to either fucking apply to bull shit law school or go get a Fucking accounting certificate at southside fucking community college to be recruitable, despite having our UC BA. Fuck.

rebexness
Posts: 4163
Joined: Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:24 am

Re: Is there really a degree that prepares your for law school?

Postby rebexness » Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:21 pm

Last edited by rebexness on Thu Nov 13, 2014 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
rman1201
Posts: 959
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:11 pm

Re: Is there really a degree that prepares your for law school?

Postby rman1201 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:13 pm

LSHopeful2 wrote:For fucks sake, sure, lib arts majors from Princeton or harvard Do have a good chance at jobs, but those of us from the UC system don't! No shit companies go after the pedigree which is the norm at wall street. I'm not dosputig that. What I'm disputing is the claim that ALL liberal arts folks have excellent prospects as do any other major. Wrong! Again, business, engineering, comp sci do , an as long as you fucking get the degree, engineering or other firms will hire you. Not the case with Poli sci or philosophy! So you ARE wrong when you Said that. SOME liberal arts folks at Princeton or harvard will fare well, The rest of us have to either fucking apply to bull shit law school or go get a Fucking accounting certificate at southside fucking community college to be recruitable, despite having our UC BA. Fuck.


Fuck.

User avatar
Alex-Trof
Posts: 528
Joined: Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:42 am

Re: Is there really a degree that prepares your for law school?

Postby Alex-Trof » Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:44 pm

LSHopeful2 wrote:For fucks sake, sure, lib arts majors from Princeton or harvard Do have a good chance at jobs, but those of us from the UC system don't! No shit companies go after the pedigree which is the norm at wall street. I'm not dosputig that. What I'm disputing is the claim that ALL liberal arts folks have excellent prospects as do any other major. Wrong! Again, business, engineering, comp sci do , an as long as you fucking get the degree, engineering or other firms will hire you. Not the case with Poli sci or philosophy! So you ARE wrong when you Said that. SOME liberal arts folks at Princeton or harvard will fare well, The rest of us have to either fucking apply to bull shit law school or go get a Fucking accounting certificate at southside fucking community college to be recruitable, despite having our UC BA. Fuck.


I may be wrong about cream of the crop (HYP), but I do know a guy with a decent credentials that graduated from U of C with PoliSci major and OK GPA (around 3.5). He wanted to go to law school but did horribly on LSAT and now is teaching high school. While my other friend who graduated from Arizona State with a degree in biomedical engineering (around 3.5 GPA) got a job that pays 6-figure salary in his third year out of school. I know TLS people hate anecdotes and prefer stats, but, I still decided to throw in a story from personal experience.

User avatar
aspire2more
Posts: 196
Joined: Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:23 am

Re: Is there really a degree that prepares your for law school?

Postby aspire2more » Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:02 am

bjsesq wrote:--ImageRemoved--


+1 for the Dulé Hill/Psych gif

User avatar
albusdumbledore
Posts: 1132
Joined: Thu Nov 05, 2009 4:38 pm

Re: Is there really a degree that prepares your for law school?

Postby albusdumbledore » Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:11 am

Cade McNown wrote:
rman1201 wrote:Seriously, I think we've hit a brick wall. AGREE/Hit that wall a long time ago.
Lets just agree that:
1) Yes, lib arts majors from top schools fare ok. MODERATE AGREE/They fare better than just ok, in fact they do better than all other college grads anywhere regardless of major or university. But a lot of this has to do with connections and networking advantages of small colleges, so I accept.
2) When applied to the majority of universities/colleges, liberal arts majors are screwed. EH, OK AGREE
3) I think you're an idiot. DISAGREE/In truth we've agreed about many things in other treads (Emory's pure numbers admissions for example). So not only am I not an idiot but in many circumstances you've concurred with me.
4) You think I'm an idiot. AGREE Sorry, but you went to school with Joakim Noah.
And call it a day.


LOLLLL at this thread. Seriously though dude how can you disagree with the fact that he thinks you're an idiot? Surely he's the only authority on that. And also, dogging on him for where he went to undergrad? Petty. They shoulda taught you a little humility at that top 10 liberal arts school.

User avatar
thexfactor
Posts: 1277
Joined: Fri Sep 14, 2007 11:40 am

Re: Is there really a degree that prepares your for law school?

Postby thexfactor » Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:15 am

econ... a lot of the principles in law are based on economic theories.

RaiderInBlue47
Posts: 15
Joined: Tue Jun 01, 2010 3:16 pm

Re: Is there really a degree that prepares your for law school?

Postby RaiderInBlue47 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:19 am

My whole purpose in undergrad is to find a fallback in something I'm interested in that's also quirky and sounds intelligent. Things just kinda worked out perfectly. Yay Aerospace!

</irrelevantbanter>

I guess what I'm trying to say is that any pre-law should find something they can get a decent job in. There aren't many Political Science factories around my parts. Minor in that shit, bruh.

User avatar
Cade McNown
Posts: 550
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:54 pm

Re: Is there really a degree that prepares your for law school?

Postby Cade McNown » Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:30 am

albusdumbledore wrote:LOLLLL at this thread. Seriously though dude how can you disagree with the fact that he thinks you're an idiot? Surely he's the only authority on that. And also, dogging on him for where he went to undergrad? Petty. They shoulda taught you a little humility at that top 10 liberal arts school.


That disagree was a joke. And to be fair I dogged on him for his major and his UG school, both of which I think are decent responses to an insult. What am I supposed to be a nice guy when calling someone out for being a moron? Please. TLS is all about trading low blows for low blows, so if you can't hack it then GTFO.

User avatar
Patriot1208
Posts: 7044
Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 11:28 am

Re: Is there really a degree that prepares your for law school?

Postby Patriot1208 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:39 pm

Alex-Trof wrote:
LSHopeful2 wrote:For fucks sake, sure, lib arts majors from Princeton or harvard Do have a good chance at jobs, but those of us from the UC system don't! No shit companies go after the pedigree which is the norm at wall street. I'm not dosputig that. What I'm disputing is the claim that ALL liberal arts folks have excellent prospects as do any other major. Wrong! Again, business, engineering, comp sci do , an as long as you fucking get the degree, engineering or other firms will hire you. Not the case with Poli sci or philosophy! So you ARE wrong when you Said that. SOME liberal arts folks at Princeton or harvard will fare well, The rest of us have to either fucking apply to bull shit law school or go get a Fucking accounting certificate at southside fucking community college to be recruitable, despite having our UC BA. Fuck.


I may be wrong about cream of the crop (HYP), but I do know a guy with a decent credentials that graduated from U of C with PoliSci major and OK GPA (around 3.5). He wanted to go to law school but did horribly on LSAT and now is teaching high school. While my other friend who graduated from Arizona State with a degree in biomedical engineering (around 3.5 GPA) got a job that pays 6-figure salary in his third year out of school. I know TLS people hate anecdotes and prefer stats, but, I still decided to throw in a story from personal experience.


I'm not sure what this is supposed to be proving? Biomedical engineers will always make more than high school teachers. But, if you go to a top school you have a better possibility of making more money in your field than at a state school.




Return to “Law School FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Late Game, trmckenz and 3 guests