Is there really a degree that prepares your for law school?

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
User avatar
PomasThynchon
Posts: 326
Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:34 am

Re: Is there really a degree that prepares your for law school?

Postby PomasThynchon » Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:13 am

rman1201 wrote:
Cade McNown wrote:
PomasThynchon wrote:The easy, glib response-I'm not talking about the top schools. I'm sure the average engineer and average top LAC student are equally smart, I mean across the entire U.S. college system, the liberal arts are the lightning rod for people who shouldn't be going to college and just spend 4 years going to keggers and getting C's and D's. Not that there AREN'T smart poli sci and philosophy majors everywhere, just that some dumbass tool looking for an easy degree is more likely to pick a lib arts major than an engineering or math major. I'm trying to DEFEND the liberal arts, hell that's my field, why would I knock all liberal arts majors?


I'm sure the average top liberal arts college student > your average engineer. One has widespread knowledge and talent, the other has a niche. Otherwise I agree that a liberal arts degree could be a cop out.


The correct analogy would be to compare the top liberal arts college student to the top engineer...


Possibly, but my point was that at the top LACs you're not going to have dumbasses in the liberal arts, whereas engineering schools across the board are not known to be slacker havens.

User avatar
PomasThynchon
Posts: 326
Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:34 am

Re: Is there really a degree that prepares your for law school?

Postby PomasThynchon » Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:15 am

Lawl Shcool wrote:I think a business degree (undergrad) has been a nice addition to my law school resume. It gives some credence to the idea that you would like working in the corporate group at a firm and really helped in a few classes.


I thought about transferring to a business major when I decided to go to law school, but I feel like business experience trumps degree. The English major with WE at Citi probably gets points, someone with a business degree but no experience probably not.

User avatar
Lawl Shcool
Posts: 763
Joined: Tue Oct 27, 2009 6:44 pm

Re: Is there really a degree that prepares your for law school?

Postby Lawl Shcool » Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:19 am

PomasThynchon wrote:I thought about transferring to a business major when I decided to go to law school, but I feel like business experience trumps degree. The English major with WE at Citi probably gets points, someone with a business degree but no experience probably not.


In that hypo, yes the English major is going to win most of the time. No major is "best" for law school but anything you can relate about your major or WE to what you want to do in practice is a big plus in hiring.

EDIT: typo

berkeleykel06
Posts: 292
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:39 am

Re: Is there really a degree that prepares your for law school?

Postby berkeleykel06 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:26 am

I've found my econ degree to be a big help, for the general analytical skills as well as the fact that specific economics principles keep popping up in my textbooks. Poli Sci degree no help at all.

User avatar
Cade McNown
Posts: 550
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:54 pm

Re: Is there really a degree that prepares your for law school?

Postby Cade McNown » Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:43 am

rman1201 wrote:
Cade McNown wrote:
PomasThynchon wrote:a lot of dumb people are lib arts majors


rman1201 wrote:The best degree would be a non-liberal arts degree with career possibilities so you aren't forced to go to law school at graduation if you change your mind last minute.


Hahahaha, yeah, tell that to the undergrads at Williams, Amherst, Swarthmore, Middlebury, Bowdoin, Pomona, Carleton, Haverford, Claremont McKenna...etc. I'm sure they will concur from their desks at Google, Bain, Apple, IBM...


Logic fail.


Let's review:

1) You suggest that liberal arts majors are unmarketable.
2) I refute by providing (implied) numerous examples of liberal arts grads with top end jobs.

So 1 + 2 = Logic Fail? No. "Logic fail" = Logic Fail. But what else would we expect from a University of Florida Psych major (oh you're Psi Chi too...kewl story brah!).

But i'll admit that you've added one positive to this conversation. Let's not lump all liberal arts majors together. Philosophy > Lit/History > Basket Weaving > Psychology.

User avatar
rman1201
Posts: 959
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:11 pm

Re: Is there really a degree that prepares your for law school?

Postby rman1201 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:45 am

Cade McNown wrote:
rman1201 wrote:
Cade McNown wrote:
PomasThynchon wrote:a lot of dumb people are lib arts majors


rman1201 wrote:The best degree would be a non-liberal arts degree with career possibilities so you aren't forced to go to law school at graduation if you change your mind last minute.


Hahahaha, yeah, tell that to the undergrads at Williams, Amherst, Swarthmore, Middlebury, Bowdoin, Pomona, Carleton, Haverford, Claremont McKenna...etc. I'm sure they will concur from their desks at Google, Bain, Apple, IBM...


Logic fail.


Let's review:

1) You suggest that liberal arts majors are unmarketable.
2) I refute by providing (implied) numerous examples of liberal arts grads with top end jobs.

So 1 + 2 = Logic Fail? No. "Logic fail" = Logic Fail. But what else would we expect from a University of Florida Psych major (oh you're Psi Chi too...kewl story brah!).

But i'll admit that you've added one positive to this conversation. Let's not lump all liberal arts majors together. Philosophy > Lit/History > Basket Weaving > Psychology.


Logic Fail because we obviously weren't talking about grads from top liberal arts colleges. At any run of the mill state school engineering/hard science/health majors are going to fare much better than lib arts majors.
Second logic fail for attacking the opponent instead of making any sort of sound or convincing argument.

User avatar
rman1201
Posts: 959
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:11 pm

Re: Is there really a degree that prepares your for law school?

Postby rman1201 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:56 am

I guess those nice Liberal Arts colleges not all of us had access to don't teach you how to read for context.

User avatar
Lawl Shcool
Posts: 763
Joined: Tue Oct 27, 2009 6:44 pm

Re: Is there really a degree that prepares your for law school?

Postby Lawl Shcool » Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:01 am

rman1201 wrote:I guess those nice Liberal Arts colleges not all of us had access to don't teach you how to read for context.


Logic Win

User avatar
daesonesb
Posts: 499
Joined: Thu Oct 15, 2009 2:18 pm

Re: Is there really a degree that prepares your for law school?

Postby daesonesb » Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:11 am

a
Last edited by daesonesb on Sun Jul 17, 2011 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
fatduck
Posts: 4186
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:16 pm

Re: Is there really a degree that prepares your for law school?

Postby fatduck » Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:13 am

Lawl Shcool wrote:
rman1201 wrote:I guess those nice Liberal Arts colleges not all of us had access to don't teach you how to read for context.


Logic Win

modus pwned

User avatar
Cade McNown
Posts: 550
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:54 pm

Re: Is there really a degree that prepares your for law school?

Postby Cade McNown » Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:17 am

rman1201 wrote:Logic Fail because we obviously weren't talking about grads from top liberal arts colleges. At any run of the mill state school engineering/hard science/health majors are going to fare much better than lib arts majors.
Second logic fail for attacking the opponent instead of making any sort of sound or convincing argument.


I made an ad-hominid attack IN ADDITION to refuting your point, both of which were unnecessary but I felt like it because you're completely ignorant. You implied falsely that liberal arts majors are unmarketable. I showed otherwise, no argument needed because it's a question of fact. You're welcome to double back on your previous blanket statements that liberal arts majors are dumb and jobless by saying that you obviously were excluding the smart employed liberal arts majors from your conversation. A little tip: if you have to say that it's obvious, it's not obvious.

Good luck with your JD/PhD in Psych from Ave Maria.

User avatar
fatduck
Posts: 4186
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:16 pm

Re: Is there really a degree that prepares your for law school?

Postby fatduck » Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:19 am

Cade McNown wrote:
rman1201 wrote:Logic Fail because we obviously weren't talking about grads from top liberal arts colleges. At any run of the mill state school engineering/hard science/health majors are going to fare much better than lib arts majors.
Second logic fail for attacking the opponent instead of making any sort of sound or convincing argument.


I made an ad-hominid attack IN ADDITION to refuting your point, both of which were unnecessary but I felt like it because you're completely ignorant. You implied falsely that liberal arts majors are unmarketable. I showed otherwise, no argument needed because it's a question of fact. You're welcome to double back on your previous blanket statements that liberal arts majors are dumb and jobless by saying that you obviously were excluding the smart employed liberal arts majors from your conversation. A little tip: if you have to say that it's obvious, it's not obvious.

Good luck with your JD/PhD in Psych from Ave Maria.

You got somethin' against hominids?

--ImageRemoved--
Last edited by fatduck on Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
rman1201
Posts: 959
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:11 pm

Re: Is there really a degree that prepares your for law school?

Postby rman1201 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:20 am

Cade McNown wrote:
rman1201 wrote:Logic Fail because we obviously weren't talking about grads from top liberal arts colleges. At any run of the mill state school engineering/hard science/health majors are going to fare much better than lib arts majors.
Second logic fail for attacking the opponent instead of making any sort of sound or convincing argument.


I made an ad-hominid attack IN ADDITION to refuting your point, both of which were unnecessary but I felt like it because you're completely ignorant. You implied falsely that liberal arts majors are unmarketable. I showed otherwise, no argument needed because it's a question of fact. You're welcome to double back on your previous blanket statements that liberal arts majors are dumb and jobless by saying that you obviously were excluding the smart employed liberal arts majors from your conversation. A little tip: if you have to say that it's obvious, it's not obvious.

Good luck with your JD/PhD in Psych from Ave Maria.


--ImageRemoved--

User avatar
rman1201
Posts: 959
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:11 pm

Re: Is there really a degree that prepares your for law school?

Postby rman1201 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:25 am

Cade McNown wrote:
rman1201 wrote:Logic Fail because we obviously weren't talking about grads from top liberal arts colleges. At any run of the mill state school engineering/hard science/health majors are going to fare much better than lib arts majors.
Second logic fail for attacking the opponent instead of making any sort of sound or convincing argument.


I made an ad-hominid attack IN ADDITION to refuting your point, both of which were unnecessary but I felt like it because you're completely ignorant. You implied falsely that liberal arts majors are unmarketable. I showed otherwise, no argument needed because it's a question of fact. You're welcome to double back on your previous blanket statements that liberal arts majors are dumb and jobless by saying that you obviously were excluding the smart employed liberal arts majors from your conversation. A little tip: if you have to say that it's obvious, it's not obvious.

Good luck with your JD/PhD in Psych from Ave Maria.


If the OP is asking about Majors and this involves Major Choice, what part of that indicates any sort of inclusion of Top Liberal Arts colleges? I'd assume you have little alternative coming from a Liberal Arts College.

Insult me and my FL Public school all you want, it will never change the fact I got paid to go to school and yet still have similar law school prospects as you. Sorry bro.

User avatar
Cade McNown
Posts: 550
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:54 pm

Re: Is there really a degree that prepares your for law school?

Postby Cade McNown » Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:29 am

rman1201 wrote:
Cade McNown wrote:
rman1201 wrote:Logic Fail because we obviously weren't talking about grads from top liberal arts colleges. At any run of the mill state school engineering/hard science/health majors are going to fare much better than lib arts majors.
Second logic fail for attacking the opponent instead of making any sort of sound or convincing argument.


I made an ad-hominid attack IN ADDITION to refuting your point, both of which were unnecessary but I felt like it because you're completely ignorant. You implied falsely that liberal arts majors are unmarketable. I showed otherwise, no argument needed because it's a question of fact. You're welcome to double back on your previous blanket statements that liberal arts majors are dumb and jobless by saying that you obviously were excluding the smart employed liberal arts majors from your conversation. A little tip: if you have to say that it's obvious, it's not obvious.

Good luck with your JD/PhD in Psych from Ave Maria.


--ImageRemoved--


--ImageRemoved--

What? I ain't cryin'.

flcath
Posts: 1502
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:39 pm

Re: Is there really a degree that prepares your for law school?

Postby flcath » Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:42 am

Petroleum engineering
Chemical engineering
Bioengineering
Electrical engineering
...
Civil engineering
Mechanical engineering
Chemistry
Biochemistry
Mathematics
Physics

User avatar
hokie
Posts: 339
Joined: Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:32 am

Re: Is there really a degree that prepares your for law school?

Postby hokie » Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:47 am

fashion merchandising

User avatar
rman1201
Posts: 959
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:11 pm

Re: Is there really a degree that prepares your for law school?

Postby rman1201 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:51 am

Cade McNown wrote:
rman1201 wrote:
Cade McNown wrote:
rman1201 wrote:Logic Fail because we obviously weren't talking about grads from top liberal arts colleges. At any run of the mill state school engineering/hard science/health majors are going to fare much better than lib arts majors.
Second logic fail for attacking the opponent instead of making any sort of sound or convincing argument.


I made an ad-hominid attack IN ADDITION to refuting your point, both of which were unnecessary but I felt like it because you're completely ignorant. You implied falsely that liberal arts majors are unmarketable. I showed otherwise, no argument needed because it's a question of fact. You're welcome to double back on your previous blanket statements that liberal arts majors are dumb and jobless by saying that you obviously were excluding the smart employed liberal arts majors from your conversation. A little tip: if you have to say that it's obvious, it's not obvious.

Good luck with your JD/PhD in Psych from Ave Maria.


img


img

What? I ain't cryin'.


You aren't funny or clever, nor do you make any good points. You just come off as a condescending douche.
TLSers may sound douchey sometimes, but at they tend to fit into one of the other aforementioned categories.

flcath
Posts: 1502
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:39 pm

Re: Is there really a degree that prepares your for law school?

Postby flcath » Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:04 am

Cade McNown wrote:
rman1201 wrote:
Cade McNown wrote:
rman1201 wrote:Logic Fail because we obviously weren't talking about grads from top liberal arts colleges. At any run of the mill state school engineering/hard science/health majors are going to fare much better than lib arts majors.
Second logic fail for attacking the opponent instead of making any sort of sound or convincing argument.


I made an ad-hominid attack IN ADDITION to refuting your point, both of which were unnecessary but I felt like it because you're completely ignorant. You implied falsely that liberal arts majors are unmarketable. I showed otherwise, no argument needed because it's a question of fact. You're welcome to double back on your previous blanket statements that liberal arts majors are dumb and jobless by saying that you obviously were excluding the smart employed liberal arts majors from your conversation. A little tip: if you have to say that it's obvious, it's not obvious.

Good luck with your JD/PhD in Psych from Ave Maria.


--ImageRemoved--


--ImageRemoved--

What? I ain't cryin'.

A Tim Tebow crying picture would have completely won me over to your side of this debate.

User avatar
Cade McNown
Posts: 550
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:54 pm

Re: Is there really a degree that prepares your for law school?

Postby Cade McNown » Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:12 am

rman1201 wrote:If the OP is asking about Majors and this involves Major Choice, what part of that indicates any sort of inclusion of Top Liberal Arts colleges? I'd assume you have little alternative coming from a Liberal Arts College.

Insult me and my FL Public school all you want, it will never change the fact I got paid to go to school and yet still have similar law school prospects as you. Sorry bro.


Seriously??? The parts that I quoted. The collective comments by you and OP about dumb unemployable liberal arts majors. Of course there are such people but I pointed out that some very intelligent undergrads choose the liberal arts and so it's dickish to suggest these majors are worthless, which whether or not you admit it is exactly what you did.

As for the Florida insult, I understand going to school for money but I don't get the chip on your shoulder. You chose a weak major at a substandard university, and so it's not hard to snap back at you when you act like such a moron (if you recall, you issued the first insult with the "logic fail" line). Anyway, I've made my point and have shown yours to be ungrounded. If you don't agree that's fine and I'll drop it.

In response to OP, while I think certain UG majors are stronger than others, I doubt they at all predict law school success. That is my final answer.

User avatar
Cade McNown
Posts: 550
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:54 pm

Re: Is there really a degree that prepares your for law school?

Postby Cade McNown » Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:14 am

flcath wrote:A Tim Tebow crying picture would have completely won me over to your side of this debate.


I can't believe I didn't think of that. THAT is a fail on my part.

User avatar
Cade McNown
Posts: 550
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:54 pm

Re: Is there really a degree that prepares your for law school?

Postby Cade McNown » Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:23 am

--ImageRemoved--

Hehe, too good not to post even though I didn't think about it. Crying because he lost to Alabama, or crying because he got a B+ on his Cognitive Psychology Exam?

User avatar
LSHopeful2
Posts: 61
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:05 pm

Re: Is there really a degree that prepares your for law school?

Postby LSHopeful2 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:15 am

Honestly, for fucks sake, I second what he said earlier. Unfortunately, being the "well-rounded" major that poli sci or philosophy or even history for that matter is, you don't get shit when you graduate. The majors train your mind and make you think, but for fucks sake, job prospects are absolutely ZERO when you graduate for these majors! Your option is either top law school..what else can we liberal arts folks get?! Nothing! Fuck. Business, engineering, computer science on the other hand, are well recruiting majors.

User avatar
Cupidity
Posts: 2214
Joined: Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:21 pm

Re: Is there really a degree that prepares your for law school?

Postby Cupidity » Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:19 am

Be an engineer. You'll graduate with a 3.4 GPA. You won't break into the T14. You'll get a six-figure starting salary anyway because you are more useful to society than the rest of us mathematically challenged kids.

or else

Accounting/Finance. You can go into your firm interviews and say, "I'm interested in Tax," and answer their follow-up questions where they try to prove you are lying. When asked what they are interested in, 70% will say litigation, 30% will say corporate, and a insignificant proportion of just you will say "tax." It will help.

User avatar
Cupidity
Posts: 2214
Joined: Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:21 pm

Re: Is there really a degree that prepares your for law school?

Postby Cupidity » Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:22 am

LSHopeful2 wrote: Business, engineering, computer science on the other hand, are well recruiting majors.
:roll:

Image




Return to “Law School FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests