Is there really a degree that prepares your for law school?

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
User avatar
LSHopeful2
Posts: 61
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:05 pm

Re: Is there really a degree that prepares your for law school?

Postby LSHopeful2 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:36 pm

naterj wrote:
LSHopeful2 wrote:
naterj wrote:What the fuck are you two bumbling idiots going on about? Find your corners and stfu already.


Looks like I was right:

"Tell your friend to worry less about the implications his profession will have in the law school application process and more about the divine judgment on his soul. Your friend is going to hell. Pornography attacks the dignity of men and women created in the image of God and it distorts God’s gift of sex which should be shared only within the bounds of marriage. Your friend is promoting sexual perversion which is condemned by God and our lord Jesus Christ, even a JD from Yale can't save him now."



My my, nater, would the Lord approve of you talking like this judging by your beliefs? "you bumbling idiots...stfu". Doesn't that run contrary to the lord's speech that you so favor?

If your intellect is any indication of God's abilities as a creator you might have just convinced me to turn to atheism.


Looks like it's your mother who's right to choose. Why are you coming off abrasive when the Lord states to befriend your fellow man? You exhibit ZERO of the Lord's qualities.

User avatar
skoobily doobily
Posts: 247
Joined: Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:40 pm

Re: Is there really a degree that prepares your for law school?

Postby skoobily doobily » Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:39 pm

"Is there really a degree that prepares you for law school?"

No. Law is a unique field of study, and beyond good reading comprehension, solid writing skill, and sufficient analytic ability, you don't need any other preparation for law school.


Are there degrees from which graduates have the propensity to succeed in law school?

Yes, but probably only inasmuch as those graduates would be inherently better at law school whether or not they had earned that specific degree.


I don't understand what these last 4 pages are about.

User avatar
kwais
Posts: 1683
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 12:28 pm

Re: Is there really a degree that prepares your for law school?

Postby kwais » Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:40 pm

LSHopeful2 wrote:
Cade McNown wrote:
LSHopeful2 wrote:^So what? Why are you referencing the gpa from the CC? They are not universities, and I had some personal/financial liabilities at the time so as to PAY for my own education after graduating high school while working to take classes. Did that not ever occur to you? Your accusation is gratuitous. Dig up all the history you want on me, a 2.9-3.0 at a CC is not the end of the world my friend, especially when you had financial liabilities to take care of at the time. Stop judging and start inquiring. You = myopic, and short-sighted.

Winning a leadership award at my university, doing research with my professor, being part of my undergraduate university's political science journal are what make me stand out, not the CC gpa where I had a burden placed on me at the time. Do you not get this? You probably don't, but at least I got it off my chest.


Congratulate yourself all you want, but nearly everyone have jobs and extracurricular activities that limit the time and effort they put towards school. Those same people manage to get strong grades, and they do so at real universities/colleges (UC system counts, CC does not). So yes I will judge you, because you overestimate your qualities and have failed to familiarize yourself with undergraduate recruiting.

Notice also that though I admit it is more difficult to get hired out of the UC system, it is not impossible as you suggest. Just curious, how many recruiters have you ever talked to? interviews taken? I guarantee you that while you've been wallowing about your tough situation some of your liberal arts classmates were making themselves more employable by extending feelers to companies, working with career services centers, just generally getting their name and resumes in front of employers. My guess is that you've bought into the myth that "there are no jobs out there", and I actually feel sorry for you because those of us who recognize the paths to employment can only laugh at you.



Wrong. Two points have to be elucidated. No, nearly everyone does NOT have jobs while in school, and so you are wrong there. Second point. A job is very much different than "extra-curricular" activities (set hours, almost every day, etc., extra-currics are very flexible; indeed, adjustable to be frank) and so you fail in that argument again. Now I'll judge you by how low minded you think. And so I don't care what you think anymore, because the thinking apparatus you exhibit is ridiculous, immaterial and irrelevant to me. Troll all you want.


If you want to "laugh" at me, be my guest, it makes no difference. I already laughed at you by the way you think, so no need to go on. The fields I want require hefty experience, because I will never settle for less. Point taken.



I have this awesome picture of you in my head. sitting in front of a computer with steam pouring out of your ears and a thesaurus on your desk.

User avatar
LSHopeful2
Posts: 61
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:05 pm

Re: Is there really a degree that prepares your for law school?

Postby LSHopeful2 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:47 pm

^Actually, no, I just love pointing out how wrong or rude some people can be on these forums, when I in my right-mind never decide to insult anyone for any purpose, unlike some people on these forums initially did, namely our little friend before us. And so I am the corrector. I keep it cordial, and although I do use "the F word", it is to amplify the anger with the situation or issue at hand; not to insult others because I have no reason to. That is the case.

User avatar
Cade McNown
Posts: 550
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:54 pm

Re: Is there really a degree that prepares your for law school?

Postby Cade McNown » Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:48 pm

LSHopeful2 wrote:Wrong. Two points have to be elucidated. No, nearly everyone does NOT have jobs while in school, and so you are wrong there. Second point. A job is very much different than "extra-curricular" activities (set hours, almost every day, etc., extra-currics are very flexible; indeed, adjustable to be frank) and so you fail in that argument again. Now I'll judge you by how low minded you think. And so I don't care what you think anymore, because the thinking apparatus you exhibit is ridiculous, immaterial and irrelevant to me. Troll all you want.

If you want to "laugh" at me, be my guest, it makes no difference. I already laughed at you by the way you think, so no need to go on. The fields I want require hefty experience, because I will never settle for less. Point taken.


OMG I cannot take this anymore. An ARGUMENT is a set of premises and conclusions. Please educate yourself on the simple difference between statements and arguments. You are refuting my statements, not arguments. I define extracurriculars as requiring significant hourly commitments, even if those hours are flexible. And yes, nearly all other people commit themselves to meaningful activities outside of school. I don't know how to make you realize that this is a true statement. Anecdotal evidence: I don't know a single college student (or recent grad) who doesn't. Other sample: take a census of TLS and LSN users, and note that they all love touting their "Softs". We've all got them, and I find it incredible you could say this is wrong.

User avatar
holdencaulfield
Posts: 478
Joined: Sun Apr 26, 2009 7:12 pm

Re: Is there really a degree that prepares your for law school?

Postby holdencaulfield » Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:49 pm

LSHopeful2 wrote:^Actually, no, I just love pointing out how wrong or rude some people can be on these forums, when I in my right-mind never decide to insult anyone for any purpose, unlike some people on these forums initially did, namely our little friend before us. And so I am the corrector. I keep it cordial, and although I do use "the F word", it is to amplify the anger with the situation or issue at hand; not to insult others because I have no reason to. That is the case.



World's tiniest violin....just for you.

User avatar
Jack Smirks
Posts: 1340
Joined: Sat May 15, 2010 5:35 am

Re: Is there really a degree that prepares your for law school?

Postby Jack Smirks » Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:50 pm

LSHopeful2 wrote:Looks like it's your mother who's right to choose. Why are you coming off abrasive when the Lord states to befriend your fellow man? You exhibit ZERO of the Lord's qualities.

I'm pretty sure the Lord just wants you to shut the fuck up already. You came in this thread spouting off with your tourettes about how you should have some course of action against the UC system because they didn't help you land a job when you have a 3.2 GPA and glaringly poor reasoning skills. You're not entitled to automatic job placement just because you paid tuition, now seriously GTFO.

User avatar
Cade McNown
Posts: 550
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:54 pm

Re: Is there really a degree that prepares your for law school?

Postby Cade McNown » Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:50 pm

kwais wrote:I have this awesome picture of you in my head. sitting in front of a computer with steam pouring out of your ears and a thesaurus on your desk.


+1

User avatar
LSHopeful2
Posts: 61
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:05 pm

Re: Is there really a degree that prepares your for law school?

Postby LSHopeful2 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:56 pm

naterj wrote:
LSHopeful2 wrote:Looks like it's your mother who's right to choose. Why are you coming off abrasive when the Lord states to befriend your fellow man? You exhibit ZERO of the Lord's qualities.

I'm pretty sure the Lord just wants you to shut the fuck up already. You came in this thread spouting off with your tourettes about how you should have some course of action against the UC system because they didn't help you land a job when you have a 3.2 GPA and glaringly poor reasoning skills. You're not entitled to automatic job placement just because you paid tuition, now seriously GTFO.



Wow, poor huh? Poor in your demeanor, yes. My reasoning skills absolutely trump yours because they scream merit. You on the other hand are an abomination in the eyes of the Lord.

User avatar
Cade McNown
Posts: 550
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:54 pm

Re: Is there really a degree that prepares your for law school?

Postby Cade McNown » Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:57 pm

skoobily doobily wrote:"Is there really a degree that prepares you for law school?"

No. Law is a unique field of study, and beyond good reading comprehension, solid writing skill, and sufficient analytic ability, you don't need any other preparation for law school.


Are there degrees from which graduates have the propensity to succeed in law school?

Yes, but probably only inasmuch as those graduates would be inherently better at law school whether or not they had earned that specific degree.


I don't understand what these last 4 pages are about.


Yes that's right. As the only person still here from the beginning of this thread, the last 4 pages are a combination of arguments stemming from the original topic. I had a strong hand in derailing this thread (sorry OP, but you left a long time ago so whatever). Started as an argument between me and rman as to whether liberal arts majors are at all marketable. This happened because multiple posters made snide posts claiming roughly that the liberal arts are worthless, and I took offense. Snowball from there.

User avatar
LSHopeful2
Posts: 61
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:05 pm

Re: Is there really a degree that prepares your for law school?

Postby LSHopeful2 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:58 pm

OMG I cannot take this anymore. An ARGUMENT is a set of premises and conclusions. Please educate yourself on the simple difference between statements and arguments. You are refuting my statements, not arguments. I define extracurriculars as requiring significant hourly commitments, even if those hours are flexible. And yes, nearly all other people commit themselves to meaningful activities outside of school. I don't know how to make you realize that this is a true statement. Anecdotal evidence: I don't know a single college student (or recent grad) who doesn't. Other sample: take a census of TLS and LSN users, and note that they all love touting their "Softs". We've all got them, and I find it incredible you could say this is wrong.[/quote]

So what? You act as if I monitor every single damn word. I'm not writing an essay so I'm going to be less focused on what I pick on these damn boards. And you know very well that jobs are much more strenuous than extra-currics. Now get with the program. What is your cause?

User avatar
Cade McNown
Posts: 550
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:54 pm

Re: Is there really a degree that prepares your for law school?

Postby Cade McNown » Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:58 pm

LSHopeful2 wrote:
naterj wrote:
LSHopeful2 wrote:Looks like it's your mother who's right to choose. Why are you coming off abrasive when the Lord states to befriend your fellow man? You exhibit ZERO of the Lord's qualities.

I'm pretty sure the Lord just wants you to shut the fuck up already. You came in this thread spouting off with your tourettes about how you should have some course of action against the UC system because they didn't help you land a job when you have a 3.2 GPA and glaringly poor reasoning skills. You're not entitled to automatic job placement just because you paid tuition, now seriously GTFO.



Wow, poor huh? Poor in your demeanor, yes. My reasoning skills absolutely trump yours because they scream merit. You on the other hand are an abomination in the eyes of the Lord.


Yet your writing screams idiot.

User avatar
LSHopeful2
Posts: 61
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:05 pm

Re: Is there really a degree that prepares your for law school?

Postby LSHopeful2 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:03 pm

^There you go again, foolish one. Nothing better to do but insult others, so as to make yourself feel good. Get a cause, low-life. My writing is better than yours ever will be. I'm done with you.

User avatar
Cade McNown
Posts: 550
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:54 pm

Re: Is there really a degree that prepares your for law school?

Postby Cade McNown » Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:05 pm

LSHopeful2 wrote:OMG I cannot take this anymore. An ARGUMENT is a set of premises and conclusions. Please educate yourself on the simple difference between statements and arguments. You are refuting my statements, not arguments. I define extracurriculars as requiring significant hourly commitments, even if those hours are flexible. And yes, nearly all other people commit themselves to meaningful activities outside of school. I don't know how to make you realize that this is a true statement. Anecdotal evidence: I don't know a single college student (or recent grad) who doesn't. Other sample: take a census of TLS and LSN users, and note that they all love touting their "Softs". We've all got them, and I find it incredible you could say this is wrong.


So what? You act as if I monitor every single damn word. I'm not writing an essay so I'm going to be less focused on what I pick on these damn boards. And you know very well that jobs are much more strenuous than extra-currics. Now get with the program. What is your cause?[/quote]

1. YES, I DO IN FACT EXPECT YOU TO READ. THAT IS NOT UNREASONABLE.
2. Why? I don't see why a part time job at a coffee shop, bookstore, research institute (insert common UG job) affects your ability to succeed in school any more than comparable hours spent as a college athlete, club president, etc.

User avatar
Jack Smirks
Posts: 1340
Joined: Sat May 15, 2010 5:35 am

Re: Is there really a degree that prepares your for law school?

Postby Jack Smirks » Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:07 pm

LSHopeful2 wrote:
naterj wrote:
LSHopeful2 wrote:Looks like it's your mother who's right to choose. Why are you coming off abrasive when the Lord states to befriend your fellow man? You exhibit ZERO of the Lord's qualities.

I'm pretty sure the Lord just wants you to shut the fuck up already. You came in this thread spouting off with your tourettes about how you should have some course of action against the UC system because they didn't help you land a job when you have a 3.2 GPA and glaringly poor reasoning skills. You're not entitled to automatic job placement just because you paid tuition, now seriously GTFO.



Wow, poor huh? Poor in your demeanor, yes. My reasoning skills absolutely trump yours because they scream merit. You on the other hand are an abomination in the eyes of the Lord.

If you think that not finding you a job affords you grounds for legal action = reasoning with merit then I'm not even sure how you're able to type right now without drooling all over your keyboard.

User avatar
Cade McNown
Posts: 550
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:54 pm

Re: Is there really a degree that prepares your for law school?

Postby Cade McNown » Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:08 pm

LSHopeful2 wrote:My writing is better than yours ever will be.


Image

User avatar
FalafelWaffle
Posts: 286
Joined: Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:07 pm

Re: Is there really a degree that prepares your for law school?

Postby FalafelWaffle » Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:08 pm

LSHopeful2 wrote:My prof. once said that english was the best major before law school because of the writing.


Flat-out bullshit. The Political Science, Sociology, History, China Studies, International Relations, and Philosophy majors (name just about any other humanities or social science) write just as much as the English majors at my school.


My constructive comment is over, now I'll move onto trashing English majors. I'd have to hang myself in a class full of hipster English major d-bags. At least I gained worldly knowledge in my Poli Sci, Econ, and IR classes. I can read Dostoyevsky and whatever else is popular with the cultural studies types in my spare time. I mean, a motivated engineer can earn the equivalent of a Poli Sci B.A. just by being a voracious reader, I know, I just hate Lit majors.

I hate English majors mostly because of the bullshit myth that keeps getting propagated about them being superior writers. You're going to have just as many good to excellent writers in ANY humanities or social science major, if the program is any good.

User avatar
LSHopeful2
Posts: 61
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:05 pm

Re: Is there really a degree that prepares your for law school?

Postby LSHopeful2 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:13 pm

^True that, fal. I think every fucking major in lib. arts allows room for that kind of writing.
Last edited by LSHopeful2 on Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
rman1201
Posts: 959
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:11 pm

Re: Is there really a degree that prepares your for law school?

Postby rman1201 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:14 pm

Again, why the fuck is everyone so mad ITT?

The last "which major" thread started a lot of name calling too. OP knew this would happen and is laughing his ass off.

User avatar
LSHopeful2
Posts: 61
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:05 pm

Re: Is there really a degree that prepares your for law school?

Postby LSHopeful2 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:15 pm

A JD is also just another humanities degree.

User avatar
FalafelWaffle
Posts: 286
Joined: Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:07 pm

Re: Is there really a degree that prepares your for law school?

Postby FalafelWaffle » Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:15 pm

rman1201 wrote:Again, why the fuck is everyone so mad ITT?

The last "which major" thread started a lot of name calling too. OP knew this would happen and is laughing his ass off.


THIS IS A HIGH STAKES ARGUMENT

User avatar
Jack Smirks
Posts: 1340
Joined: Sat May 15, 2010 5:35 am

Re: Is there really a degree that prepares your for law school?

Postby Jack Smirks » Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:18 pm

Ok now what was OPs question? Oh got it.

Philosophy. /thread.

User avatar
rman1201
Posts: 959
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:11 pm

Re: Is there really a degree that prepares your for law school?

Postby rman1201 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:20 pm

naterj wrote:Ok now what was OPs question? Oh got it.

Philosophy. /thread.


Fuck you, its Finance.

User avatar
Cade McNown
Posts: 550
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:54 pm

Re: Is there really a degree that prepares your for law school?

Postby Cade McNown » Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:21 pm

rman1201 wrote:Again, why the fuck is everyone so mad ITT?

The last "which major" thread started a lot of name calling too. OP knew this would happen and is laughing his ass off.


FUCK YOU RMAN!

Image

User avatar
BrianGriffintheDog
Posts: 157
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:14 am

Re: Is there really a degree that prepares your for law school?

Postby BrianGriffintheDog » Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:38 pm

Bachelor of law if you're in UK
True story bro




Return to “Law School FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: 20171lhopeful and 1 guest