How can I speak to a career counselor prior to enrolling? Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
niederbomb

Silver

How can I speak to a career counselor prior to enrolling?

Post by niederbomb » Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:26 am

I have some past issues which might cause problems with legal employers (though C&F will probably be fine after a rough ride, according to several C&F attorneys).

I'd like to speak to a career counselor about how significant my issues really are prior to taking out $100,000 in loans to attend a top 10 law school.

But I'm not sure I want to speak directly to anyone in the law schools to which I've been admitted over the phone. Or should I? I'm thinking of picking a safety school which I'm not likely to attend and to which I had to disclose my issue on the LS application and calling their career office to discuss this with them. Good idea or not?

I've heard of the Anna Ivey Admissions Consulting, but is there anything like this for legal employment to decide if going to law school is a good idea?

Any better options?

Gold

Re: How can I speak to a career counselor prior to enrolling?

Post by 03121202698008 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:37 am

niederbomb wrote:I have some past issues which might cause problems with legal employers (though C&F will probably be fine after a rough ride, according to several C&F attorneys).

I'd like to speak to a career counselor about how significant my issues really are prior to taking out $100,000 in loans to attend a top 10 law school.

But I'm not sure I want to speak directly to anyone in the law schools to which I've been admitted over the phone. Or should I? I'm thinking of picking a safety school which I'm not likely to attend and to which I had to disclose my issue on the LS application and calling their career office to discuss this with them. Good idea or not?

I've heard of the Anna Ivey Admissions Consulting, but is there anything like this for legal employment to decide if going to law school is a good idea?

Any better options?
They won't talk to you. Ask the Admissions people. They act as a go-between. Career services won't even talk to you as a 1L until Nov 1 (ABA rules).

However, no one will answer anything like a C&F question. You must contact the bar in whatever state you plan to be admitted to.

niederbomb

Silver

Post by niederbomb » Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:54 am

blowhard wrote:
niederbomb wrote:I have some past issues which might cause problems with legal employers (though C&F will probably be fine after a rough ride, according to several C&F attorneys).

Any better options?
They won't talk to you. Ask the Admissions people. They act as a go-between. Career services won't even talk to you as a 1L until Nov 1 (ABA rules).

However, no one will answer anything like a C&F question. You must contact the bar in whatever state you plan to be admitted to.
Of course, already did this. Where do I learn about legal employment?

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:06 am

If I understand your original post, you have already had evaluations of your concerns by "several C&F attorneys". If accurate, then why seek even more opinions as most C&F attorneys worked for state bars prior to going into private practice. Additionally, if these issues were disclosed on your law school applications & you were accepted, then those law schools do not anticipate any insurmountable barrier to you entering the practice of law.
If you just need further discussion to allay your fears, then consider posting the details anonymously.
Last edited by CanadianWolf on Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous Loser

Silver

Post by Anonymous Loser » Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:24 am

blowhard wrote: They won't talk to you. Ask the Admissions people. They act as a go-between. Career services won't even talk to you as a 1L until Nov 1 (ABA rules).

First of all, the standards you are referring to are promulgated by NALP, not the ABA. Secondly, they apply to first-year law students, not prospective law school applicants. Nothing prevents applicants from discussing legal employment issued with the career services offices of the law schools they are considering attending.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Gold

Post by 03121202698008 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:45 am

Anonymous Loser wrote:
blowhard wrote: They won't talk to you. Ask the Admissions people. They act as a go-between. Career services won't even talk to you as a 1L until Nov 1 (ABA rules).

First of all, the standards you are referring to are promulgated by NALP, not the ABA. Secondly, they apply to first-year law students, not prospective law school applicants. Nothing prevents applicants from discussing legal employment issued with the career services offices of the law schools they are considering attending.
First of all, who makes the rule has no impact. Secondly, call OCS as a 0L and see if they talk to you. I wasn't implying they weren't allowed, just that they won't. My point was that they are geared to 2/3Ls...

Capitol A

Silver

Post by Capitol A » Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:41 pm

blowhard wrote:
Anonymous Loser wrote:

First of all, who makes the rule has no impact. Secondly, call OCS as a 0L and see if they talk to you. I wasn't implying they weren't allowed, just that they won't. My point was that they are geared to 2/3Ls...
I met with a the director of career services for over an hour at a school I was considering. Getting the appointment was not a big deal. I was scheduling a visit, and I said, "can I meet with someone in career services?" and they made me an appointment.

Gold

Post by 03121202698008 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:00 pm

Capitol A wrote:
blowhard wrote:
Anonymous Loser wrote:

I met with a the director of career services for over an hour at a school I was considering. Getting the appointment was not a big deal. I was scheduling a visit, and I said, "can I meet with someone in career services?" and they made me an appointment.
You are the rare person my friend. What school was this? I had a nearly 2 hour meeting with the Admissions Dean at Villanova last year, complete with personal tour. You seem to get way better access if you are way above their numbers and they are recruiting you actively.

Capitol A

Silver

Post by Capitol A » Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:26 pm

You are the rare person my friend. What school was this? I had a nearly 2 hour meeting with the Admissions Dean at Villanova last year, complete with personal tour. You seem to get way better access if you are way above their numbers and they are recruiting you actively.
It's true I was above their 75th LSAT, but I don't think the lady making my appointments knew that.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Veyron

Gold

Post by Veyron » Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:28 pm

You didn't disclose on your app. you fucked. otherwise I would say just call career services up. they are usually happy to speak to accepted students.

niederbomb

Silver

Post by niederbomb » Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:15 pm

Veyron wrote:You didn't disclose on your app. you fucked. otherwise I would say just call career services up. they are usually happy to speak to accepted students.
This is even if the app didn't ask a question that could remotely speak to disclosure?

I'm talking to a safety school, one I would never attend, where I DID have to disclose anyway, so I was just wondering about this.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”